Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Metal Dice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Denmark
Okay so this is what they look like.
touchcam5.jpg

touchcam2.jpg

touchcam1-1283895803.jpg

touchcam6.jpg

touchcam4.jpg

touchcam3.jpg

iPod Touch 4G vs. iPhone 4
touchiphonecomp.jpg

wootwootman

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
that's fairly decent for a spur of the moment facebook shot or epic fail. the video's where you get your money's worth

Blackened

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
And this is 800 x 600 so you could even get a little bigger before it starts to stretch..

touchcam5.jpg

Ds92

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah the quality is pretty poor although from the look of the engadget video, the HD video recording looks amazing! that really stunned me

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I'm actually happy with the quality. I was expecting it to be a lot worse!!! Plus the HD video that Engadget posted just blew me away!

2000ContourSVT

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
I'm actually happy with the quality. I was expecting it to be a lot worse!!! Plus the HD video that Engadget posted just blew me away!

I agree. The quality of this camera looks 10x better than the camera on my phone which happens to be a 1.3MP camera. The 720p video is more important to me anyways so I'm happy.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
It's not bad for quick snaps for sharing online.. few will ever print photos that came off your cell anyhow..

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
I have two DSLRs that I use for photos and HD videos. My Panasonic HDC-TM700 3MOS camcorder has a 14mp still mode that I never use since I could use a frame capture from the 1080p60 HD video.
http://vimeo.com/14726175

orangeflower.jpg

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2009
its definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. Some of the pictures are grainy and are much softer than the iPhone 4's camera but its decent, the HD recording looks very smooth.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah when compaired to the iPhone 4 there is a difference however, I'm not buying an iPhone 4 I'm buying the iPod Touch and the picture quality is actually a bit better than I expected so I'm happy. I didn't want it for photography but to capture those moments when you don't always have a camera with you (very helpful with a 1 year old). Also to take photos of friends and family to assign to contacts. The ability to upload or e-mail the photo or video is another nice little feature. :p

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
The quality is not that bad at all...I don't think the camera will affect me in any way as I have a 3.2mp camera in my phone...
these images will look ok on facebook...

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
Wow, that camera is crap. Oh well, I guess it's to be expected with such a low res. Like the camera in my iPhone 3G, I wouldn't want to use it unless there is no other option and I just need a basic pic. Guess that means I'll still have to use the 3GS' camera for now.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
People needs to realize the fact that ipod touch is an mp3 player...
Camera is an additional feature. Tell me an mp3 player that has not one, but two cameras.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Wow, that camera is crap. Oh well, I guess it's to be expected with such a low res. Like the camera in my iPhone 3G, I wouldn't want to use it unless there is no other option and I just need a basic pic. Guess that means I'll still have to use the 3GS' camera for now.

I don't understand these types of comments. What type of camera did you expect? What sort of pictures were you planning to take with it?

For around $300 you get a device that can be used for so many purposes. People keep compairing the iPhone 4 and the 4th Gen iPod Touch but they are seperate products. I'm not familiar with the iPhone 4 pricing but I'm guessing if you bought one with no contract you would be paying almost double the price. For that extra cash you can expect to get features not offered in the new iPod.

Metal Dice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Denmark
I don't understand these types of comments. What type of camera did you expect? What sort of pictures were you planning to take with it?

For around $300 you get a device that can be used for so many purposes. People keep compairing the iPhone 4 and the 4th Gen iPod Touch but they are seperate products. I'm not familiar with the iPhone 4 pricing but I'm guessing if you bought one with no contract you would be paying almost double the price. For that extra cash you can expect to get features not offered in the new iPod.

Exactly. No matter what apple does, its never good enough.
How could somebody possibly expect a 5mp camera on an iPod?!

Phil In Idaho

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
People needs to realize the fact that ipod touch is an mp3 player...
Camera is an additional feature. Tell me an mp3 player that has not one, but two cameras.

People need to realize the fact that the iPhone is a cell phone, the camera is an additional feature...

In order to feed Steve's anorexia fetish, the iPod Touch photo is missing about 4 million pixels. Oh and according to Steve its not an MP3 player, its an iPhone without the contract, remember?

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC

I'll start off with this: I use a D200 and it is the first Digital camera I've been actually happy with. Generally, I use the iPhone 3GS camera for quick shots of text like tracking numbers, computer service tags, products to research, etc. Based on that, being able to clearly read text in the photo is important. I KNOW that phone cameras suck in general, I don't expect much out of them.

However, they have been getting increasingly better over the past few years. I'd say the camera in the 3GS is the first one that was "acceptable" in responsiveness and picture quality. From what I've heard and seen, the iPhone 4 improves on that greatly.

Apple put a camera in the iPod Touch because everyone bitched that it didn't have one. "Fine guys, here you go, now go away and stop asking for it." seems to have been Apple's response.

In the "how hard can it be?" category and basic expectations for any camera:
These days, how hard can it be to put a camera that takes sharp, clear, detailed pictures? I'm not asking for pro-level DSLR/mega megapixel photos, but the amount of pixellation, lack of clarity in those demo pics really is very low-end consumer level at best.

This coming from someone who didn't really care if the iTouch had a camera or two, I want it for the music. But if you're going to do something (and you're Apple), do it right.

(and please, please release a 128GB model next time around)

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I'll start off with this: I use a D200 and it is the first Digital camera I've been actually happy with. Generally, I use the iPhone 3GS camera for quick shots of text like tracking numbers, computer service tags, products to research, etc. Based on that, being able to clearly read text in the photo is important. I KNOW that phone cameras suck in general, I don't expect much out of them.

However, they have been getting increasingly better over the past few years. I'd say the camera in the 3GS is the first one that was "acceptable" in responsiveness and picture quality. From what I've heard and seen, the iPhone 4 improves on that greatly.

Apple put a camera in the iPod Touch because everyone bitched that it didn't have one. "Fine guys, here you go, now go away and stop asking for it." seems to have been Apple's response.

In the "how hard can it be?" category and basic expectations for any camera:
These days, how hard can it be to put a camera that takes sharp, clear, detailed pictures? I'm not asking for pro-level DSLR/mega megapixel photos, but the amount of pixellation, lack of clarity in those demo pics really is very low-end consumer level at best.

This coming from someone who didn't really care if the iTouch had a camera or two, I want it for the music. But if you're going to do something (and you're Apple), do it right.

(and please, please release a 128GB model next time around)

I think the primary purpose of the two cameras on the iPod touch was for their use in FaceTime. The quality doesn't have to be that good for a video chat.

But if the cameras didn't have the ability to take stills, people would complain that it should technically be possible, so I'm sure Apple added the ability to essentially take a still of the video instead of having to add it later in a firmware update because of users requesting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.