Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efegue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I bought a Mac Mini Mid 2010 and I want to know if it's possible to use it as a media center and a desktop.

I want plex to run at my TV by HDMI and use it as a normal desktop with my monitor plugged at the DVI Port.

Is there anyway to achieve this?

Thanks in advance :)

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I bought a Mac Mini Mid 2010 and I want to know if it's possible to use it as a media center and a desktop.

I want plex to run at my TV by HDMI and use it as a normal desktop with my monitor plugged at the DVI Port.

Is there anyway to achieve this?

Thanks in advance :)
Sure. Both video outputs are active at the same time.

You can either have separate images on each display or mirror the displays.

You'll need a mini-display port to DVI adapter to plug your DVI monitor into the mini (if you're using the hdmi port for the tv).

efegue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Sure. Both video outputs are active at the same time.

You can either have separate images on each display or mirror the displays.

You'll need a mini-display port to DVI adapter to plug your DVI monitor into the mini (if you're using the hdmi port for the tv).

Thanks for your answer.
Can I use plex on the TV and use another desktop not related to plesk on my monitor?

If I press the 'Menu' in remote which brings up plex, what monitor will show Plex?

I know I can connect both displays to the mini, but my doubt is If I can have different desktops, behaving in different ways, maybe different logins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.