Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Does anyone know if the new aTV has Bluetooth?

Seems like that would be needed if there is ever to be an expansion into apps or web browsing on the box as you would want to interface a keyboard/trackpad/other game controller.

For the iPod Touch and iPhone does Bluetooth come on the same part as the wi-fi? Could Apple be using the same part in the aTV and just not announced the Bluetooth feature yet? I don't see Bluetooth listed in the wireless features of the aTV, but maybe it is something that could be turned on with a future software update?

Have the FCC filings been made public yet, or are there any teardowns yet that could give us a clue?

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Cool...just glad it's in there, even if not initially turned on. I find it hard to believe there won't someday be at least a version of Safari for the aTV and the Bluetooth will be used to enable keyboard and/or trackpad connectivity.

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
Cool...just glad it's in there, even if not initially turned on. I find it hard to believe there won't someday be at least a version of Safari for the aTV and the Bluetooth will be used to enable keyboard and/or trackpad connectivity.

It's highly unlikely that Apple opens up another app store specifically for the AppleTV. My guess is that AirPlay becomes the focal point and you'll simply be able to stream apps from the current app store to your TV using any of the iDevices. Beam the games to your television, and use your iPad as a gamepad. Seams easier.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
It's highly unlikely that Apple opens up another app store specifically for the AppleTV. My guess is that AirPlay becomes the focal point and you'll simply be able to stream apps from the current app store to your TV using any of the iDevices. Beam the games to your television, and use your iPad as a gamepad. Seams easier.

I'm not entirely convinced that streaming apps from an iOS device to the AppleTV would make a lot of sense. I can't see Apple forcing people to buy an iPhone/iPod/iPad simply to stream apps to the living room. I'm holding out for a little extra flash built-in for app storage myself.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I would like the remote app to work via bluetooth. Wi-Fi has too many dropped signals and other issues.

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
I'm not entirely convinced that streaming apps from an iOS device to the AppleTV would make a lot of sense. I can't see Apple forcing people to buy an iPhone/iPod/iPad simply to stream apps to the living room. I'm holding out for a little extra flash built-in for app storage myself.

100,000,000+ iDevices in the wild and you want Apple to focus on apps store for an AppleTV market which consists of how many people? Streaming is what's coming to the AppleTV via AirPlay. Some of you need to learn to read between the lines, It was so blatantly obvious during the keynote.

How long this takes to implement is an entirely different question.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
100,000,000+ iDevices in the wild and you want Apple to focus on apps store for an AppleTV market which consists of how many people? Streaming is what's coming to the AppleTV via AirPlay. Some of you need to learn to read between the lines, It was so blatantly obvious during the keynote.

How long this takes to implement is an entirely different question.

Why would I want to require my iPhone to be on and streaming (and using battery power)? Not once did I mention an app store devoted to the AppleTV.

That said, I'd probably be OK if they filtered AppleTV apps to only a selection of developers, but that's just me.

Starbucker

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
It would be nice to have the option to communicate via BT so you could stick it in a cabinet but also have the IR in case you have a Harmony or other universal remote. Just hope these are configurable options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.