Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Can anyone actually get this past the splash screen? Mine crashes every time.

edit: on new Touch 4g

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
joining the club.

oh well, just have to wait for the inevitable update or better yet the actual game.

AEREC

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
haha...maybe it's an iphone exclusive...cause it needs the extra 256mb of emmory to run.

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
So wait, if everyone's Touches are crashing, than what devices are they using to demo it on presentation day?

More photoshop(iMovie/FCP) hackery? :eek:

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I was so excited to try it out on my iPod touch 4g, but it crashes on the title. Did not have any issues on my iPod touch 3G... Deleting and going to try to reinstall.

viper3885

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Silly question, but have those of you who are having problems tried a hard restart? I only ask because even on my iphone 4 I had the same issue until I did a hard reset on it and after that it worked fine.

Bleak

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
From the app description:

*** Please try power-cycling your device if you experience crashes at startup ***

*** Support for 4th generation iPod touch devices is coming in the next patch already submitted to Apple ***

fwoppers

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010

*** Please try power-cycling your device if you experience crashes at startup ***

*** Support for 4th generation iPod touch devices is coming in the next patch already submitted to Apple ***

Also, anyone have any problems running iheart radio?

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007

Already tried the power cycling. And why would I read the description when this was shown last week at the press conference for the Touch? It has the A4 chip, and same OS as the iphone.

Bleak

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
Already tried the power cycling. And why would I read the description when this was shown last week at the press conference for the Touch? It has the A4 chip, and same OS as the iphone.
Apple couldn't even get wifi on the iPhone 4 at its press conference. The iPod Touch they used at the press conference might have had a patch placed on it, as explained here:

Just wait for apple to release the patch :)

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
iheart radio seems to be fine, but wow - very few apps have been updated for the Retina display. Whats especially odd is when the app is downloading and the icon looks very clear, then it finishes and the icon changes to a blockier, non-Retina resolution.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
I have a bad feeling this is a harbinger of an issue of the Touch only having 256MB of RAM. A post on ilounge claims that Epic Citadel on iPhone 4 has higher quality textures than on ipad. I'm wondering if that "patch" is just to allowed Epic Citadel to run on an iOS4 device with less than 512mb of RAM. Remember the ipad probably has a slightly different version of Citadel already, due to it running the older OS. This seems to be an early indicator that the RAM difference is going to mean differences in the actual game assets...

kingofkings8183

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
I have a bad feeling this is a harbinger of an issue of the Touch only having 256MB of RAM. A post on ilounge claims that Epic Citadel on iPhone 4 has higher quality textures than on ipad. I'm wondering if that "patch" is just to allowed Epic Citadel to run on an iOS4 device with less than 512mb of RAM. Remember the ipad probably has a slightly different version of Citadel already, due to it running the older OS. This seems to be an early indicator that the RAM difference is going to mean differences in the actual game assets...

You could very well be right :(

Anyone tried any other 'retina' games like Madden 11 HD?

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
i'm disappointed because this tech demo and the game that is coming out of it is leaving us 2nd gen touch users out in the cold. I'll bet a lot of ppl,still have 2nd gen touches; whether they know it or not due to last yr's rebranding of the 8gb 2nd gen. Oh well. I'll have to save up a lot of cash so i cna get a 32gb touch 4.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
From Anandtech review:
"The A4 in the iPod Touch appears to be a lower clocked version of what you get in the iPad, it only has 256MB of memory compared to the 4’s 512MB. Currently Epic’s Citadel demo treats the iPod Touch as an iPhone 4 and crashes before getting into the demo as a result. Epic should have an update out soon that fixes the problem by lowering texture quality to fit within the memory limits of the iPod Touch."

Looks like I was right-on.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
models and graphics should not be affected, vram is what affects texture quality which is okay. I'm fine with medium textures vs highs haha.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Sweet! Installing the update now. Thanks. :)

EDIT: It's pretty beautiful, haha. Ran without a hitch, but my Touch got warm. :p

No kidding, I noticed that too! Have iPod Touches always done this? I've always had an Incase Slider on so never noticed.

And yes, gorgeous!

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
It looks gorgeous. But I wonder if it's a bit too ambitious. There are already some areas it slows down a bit and there's no character at all. This would be a perfect game if the A4 chip had a more powerful GUI like the Samsung galaxy s'. Still it's a very exciting tech demo and I am very much looking forward tona real game with this engine.

On a related note I really want to see a full blown version of Katamari Damacy!

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
So smooth yet so detailed. I could hardly believe my eyes! I really hope developers embrace the power of the A4 chip and make more gorgeous games like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.