Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmacuser23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
I have the previous version of the Apple TV I have not bought Applecare for it yet and now I don't know if I should because my version of the Apple TV is no longer sold so if my Apple tv was under applecare and broke down would Apple replace it with a old model or one of the new ones?

I don't like the new one as here in the UK it is next to useless so if Apple replaces faulty discontinued products with new ones I would rather leave it and when it gives up the ghost get myself a mac mini instead.

Apple-Man23

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
USA
They will replace it with the old model. Whenever something breaks and is covered by applecare it is replaced with the exact same thing.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
They'll have plenty of them for a while.

'Course, a few years back I had the first TiBook released (400Mhz) and after sending it in for repair 8 times they upgraded me to an 800Mhz one with a bigger HD, more RAM and a SuperDrive. So I always hope that'll happen again whenever I need to go to the Genius Bar. ;)

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Assuming your old ATV is still under warrenty then Apple will repair it or replace it with a refurbished unit of the same model as your old one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.