Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
An anonymous tip to MacRumors says that 10.3.7 is ready for release this week. Expectations for it include improved AFP support for saving documents with long file names, improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers, improved FireWire device compatibility, updated Preview application, improved compatibility for third party applications, and previous standalone security updates.

OS X 10.3.7 was previously rumored to have begun testing in November, directly following the release of the 10.3.6 update.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Bring it on... I need my finder to be ok again... cannot switch between windows within Finder with command+~ ... what the ???? :eek:

I can with other apps, it's just finder ... really odd! ohh wait, and photoshop has the same problem... :confused:

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
m a y a said:
its about time. And this means good news for me.

actually, if this turns out to be true, this will be a quick turnaround for an update. Usually they take a little longer than 3~4 weeks to shove one out the door.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
NainoKami said:
I'm just hoping for a bit more optimization of the 6800 Ultra drivers... But an update is always welcome... :)

Yeah, that would definitely be nice, especially for World of Warcrafters, and other gamers.

scem0

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Mudbug said:
actually, if this turns out to be true, this will be a quick turnaround for an update. Usually they take a little longer than 3~4 weeks to shove one out the door.

That is reassuring :( Now I will wait a week and see what odd problems others are having. :)

I am not becoming a lab rat again I lost out on some important data the last time around a back-up and main HDD failing that was my worst day in computing history. :(

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
the AFP filename thing is a serious problem... i was trying to copy a file over the network, and the file on the server looked OK when i went to copy it, but as soon as it started copying it appeared to have shortened it... the original filename was "Law and Order - S15E09 - HDTV.avi" and it shortened it to "Law and Order - S15E#132081.avi" which is exactly 31 characters long, or my bet is its the length of a 32-character string, null terminated. doesnt make sense, but hey. i guess the #132081 is a reference to a database of filenames? but glad to hear its getting fixed. its quite annoying, because i keep forgetting the episode numbers!!!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There is further evidence that a release is approaching: Frequent builds are usually a sign that an update is approaching release, and that's what's been going on lately.

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
good!
after updated to 10.3.6
remote connection seems having serious problem and mounted disks disconnected frequent
hope 10.3.7 would be a better one

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
The long file name problem has been driving me mad - and it seems to have been getting worse with each new release.

I hope they also fix sharing so that clients can reconnect to AFP servers after a temorary interruption - this worked in 10.3.0, was broken with the first update and has never worked since (at least for all our machines).

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Hmm, anonymous tips make it to the front page? Maybe I should leave the name field blank the next time I submit something... ;)

But I hope there are better Nvidia drivers again, because 10.3.6 didn’t do much for me.

Mac-Xpert

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2003
The Netherlands
I hope it's better than 10.3.6

I will wait at least another week after the release before I update. Only when there won't be any people saying that this update seriously damaged their system, I will update. Currently my machine here runs great on 10.3.4, no problems at all. I really don't like to ruin my setup. The only reason I would like to update, is that I will then be able to also update the firmware of the G5 as well. Unfortunately this firmware update requires 10.3.5 or higher.

So I would really like to see you guys update immediately next week, so I can see what happens! :p ;)

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
ooh i like updates! i hope we get it before thursday lunchtime, after that i wont have a nice 1Mbit connection available to me - only dial up!

Mtn Tamale

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
Denver, CO
Please please fix the HP .pdf printing problem

I get a couple more pdf's each day that I can't print to either of the two HP deskjets I have. I caught a blurb once that this is a known bug. Please be fixed in 10.3.7!

Nikko1965

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2003
Amsterdam
12" Battery fix?

Hopefully they'll undo whatever they did that squashed my battery life from three hours in 10.3.5 to 36 minutes (at best) in 10.3.6.

And I'm not the only one.

And anyone who says I'm imagining it is clearly part of the conspiracy.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Nikko1965 said:
Hopefully they'll undo whatever they did that squashed my battery life from three hours in 10.3.5 to 36 minutes (at best) in 10.3.6.

And I'm not the only one.

And anyone who says I'm imagining it is clearly part of the conspiracy.

Wow that's bad. Have you tried recalibrating the battery? The procedure is outlined in your user's manual, but basically all you need to do is run the iBook/PowerBook until the battery gives out and the machine shuts down. Then charge it all the way to full. This will recalibrate the battery and can sometimes sort these type of problems out.

Nikko1965

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2003
Amsterdam
oingoboingo said:
Wow that's bad. Have you tried recalibrating the battery? The procedure is outlined in your user's manual, but basically all you need to do is run the iBook/PowerBook until the battery gives out and the machine shuts down. Then charge it all the way to full. This will recalibrate the battery and can sometimes sort these type of problems out.

Yip. Done that and with a battery life of 36 minutes I could probably recalibrate about ten times a day. Also did the power reset thing which involves pressing lots of buttons all at the same time. Up till 10.3.6 I could pop downstairs while the Mrs was engrossed in her favourite brainwave flattening TV soap and browse, stream iTunes and even play around with PhotoShop for an hour and still be in the black batterywise on my return to the living room. Now I need to take the power supply as well or I'm reduced to reading old magazines or cleaning my shoes for the last half hour. I'd use the PC but it takes the remaining 24 minutes to boot up as it's a slow P4 and Windows needs a bit of time to reinstall all the drivers for all the peripherals it always has connected and then render my home network wide open for attack.

Anyway, enough of my bleating, let's see what happens in 10.3.lucky7 if it happens.

Cheers,

Nick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.