Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
The new ipod nano not only does not have a video camera but does not play video at all and is the same price at the old Nano? So basicly the new nano is just a glorified shuffle doing the same thing the shuffle does with some bells and whistles. I was going to get this for my daughter even though it did not record video ( a feature she really likes) But the fact that is does not play viedo at all is a deal breaker for me and will be for most kids. Doesn't apple realize they just cut out the 7 to 11 year olds who love having a ipod that plays and records video. They dont care that the screen is small they just want to watch movies in the restaurant. There really is no iPod left for this age group. You might say this is not a big demographic but as I father of 2 kids in this range I came say almost all of there friends have an iPod Nano. They are to young for an iPod touch and the things they like most about the nano are now gone. I will buy her a refubished nano and in a couple of years she will be old enough for the touch. But my 7 year old will have his nano for a long time.

Rant Over you may continue your normal scheduled blogging

Alan64

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2009
California
When I was a kid, we drew pictures on a flip pad and make our own movies. My kid didn't get an iPod at 7 years old, they got a baseball & glove. Oh yeah, they also got a weeder & a rake to help work off the ball & glove.

psychPurple

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2010
When I was a kid, we drew pictures on a flip pad and make our own movies. My kid didn't get an iPod at 7 years old, they got a baseball & glove. Oh yeah, they also got a weeder & a rake to help work off the ball & glove.

At OPs kids present rate, i couldn't afford to be one of his 7 year old kids until i was 13!

ahhh the original ipod shuffle, how i miss you.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Doesn't apple realize they just cut out the 7 to 11 year olds who love having a ipod that plays and records video.

I am sure Apple has a much better idea of the 7-11 market than you do. The thing about the iPod line is that they are capable of changing radically from year to year. I liked the Fat Nano better than the candy bar nanos which followed. So, instead of waiting a year and complaining, I bought it.

Call Apple. They undoubtedly have left over stock they would be happy to sell you. In fact there are refurbed Nanos on the Apple site rigth now for $99. Or, if your child is at the high end of the scale, perhaps an iPod Touch. It's what she is going to want next year anyway. Best wishes.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA

Ok I did not mean for this to get into a debate on the best way to raise kids. My kid has had a baseball & glove for a few years and they both do plently around the house. You raise your kids your way and I'll raise mine the right way. Both kids are getting ipods for there birthday from grandma and I don't see anything wrong with that.

I am sure Apple has a much better idea of the 7-11 market than you do. The thing about the iPod line is that they are capable of changing radically from year to year. I liked the Fat Nano better than the candy bar nanos which followed. So, instead of waiting a year and complaining, I bought it.

Call Apple. They undoubtedly have left over stock they would be happy to sell you. In fact there are refurbed Nanos on the Apple site rigth now for $99. Or, if your child is at the high end of the scale, perhaps an iPod Touch. It's what she is going to want next year anyway. Best wishes.

Ok I am not complianing I am simply expressing my surprize about the features in the re designed nano. I thought that's what this sight was for. And I said in my OP that I was going to buy her a refurbished nano as she is too young for the touch. We have wireless in the house and the kids are not allowed to have devices that have internet access. Also if Apple thinks that the new nano will appeal to the 7 to 11 year olds I think they are mistaken. Of course they all would want the iPod touch but I think most parents would think that iPod is not age appropriate.

Alan64

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2009
California
Ok I did not mean for this to get into a debate on the best way to raise kids. My kid has had a baseball & glove for a few years and they both do plently around the house. You raise your kids your way and I'll raise mine the right way. Both kids are getting ipods for there birthday from grandma and I don't see anything wrong with that.

You're right, and I actually agree that it's surprising that video was removed. I'm just jealous of your kids because when I was 7 all I got was an Atari Pong game. :D

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
You're right, and I actually agree that it's surprising that video was removed. I'm just jealous of your kids because when I was 7 all I got was an Atari Pong game. :D

Hey believe me I am a little jealous of the kids today as well. When I was 7 it was He Man and Flashlight Tag. But times they are a changin'. These days its the Wii and iPods. I don't know if the change is for the good but there is no use trying to hold it back.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Possible solution:
1. Find someplace that still sells the old nano model.
2. Buy it there.

This strategy has a limited lifetime.
Act soon, or live with the consequences.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
If your only reasons for not spending the extra $80 and getting the touch is that your kids are not allowed devices with internet access, then do a little research and you will see that is an easy problem to take care of.

You said you have wireless, is it encrypted? if so, dont give her the password. OR, you could set up your router to do MAC filtering. if you dont know, that is where only devices with the MAC addresses that you specify can access the router.

Every router made within the last few years has these features and this way you buy her the touch now and when she is old enough, just activate the internet for her.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
If your only reasons for not spending the extra $80 and getting the touch is that your kids are not allowed devices with internet access, then do a little research and you will see that is an easy problem to take care of.

You said you have wireless, is it encrypted? if so, dont give her the password. OR, you could set up your router to do MAC filtering. if you dont know, that is where only devices with the MAC addresses that you specify can access the router.

Every router made within the last few years has these features and this way you buy her the touch now and when she is old enough, just activate the internet for her.
Well that's true and I already have these safeguards in place for our current iOS devices. But her iPod is something she takes with her everywhere she goes. There are too many places for her to get access without us knowing like a friends house, the mall or even McDonalds. She has a lot of friends and she is always going here or there for play dates and what not. For 10 years old she has a busier social schedule then I do. :rolleyes:

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Well that's true and I already have these safeguards in place for our current iOS devices. But her iPod is something she takes with her everywhere she goes. There are too many places for her to get access without us knowing like a friends house, the mall or even McDonalds. She has a lot of friends and she is always going here or there for play dates and what not. For 10 years old she has a busier social schedule then I do. :rolleyes:

I get it. but honestly, you cant shield them from everything. If she wants to have internet access, trust me she is getting it somewhere. you dont know if all those friends houses she is at have the same rules as you and she could very well pick up one of their internet devices. Many times the things you forbid seem so enchanting that they not only defy you to do it, but they jump in head first, fruit of the forbidden tree.... you have the safeguards in place for your "domain" you've done what you can, now teach her about the good and the bad of the internet and then trust her to make good choices.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
You can lock Safari with a passcode so they can't use it.

Settings>General>Restrictions

Can also lock other things too (Installing apps for instance)

there you go, I forgot about that feature. Turn safari off, no worries..

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
There really isn't a reason for a 10 year old to have an iPod Touch. I honestly don't think there is a reason for a 10 year old to have an iPod at all, but that's only my opinion. They're your kids - raise them how you see fit.

When did it become okay for children to stop being children and turn into adults so quickly? I just don't get it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Apple is trying to upsell everyone to the iPod touch; that way they can make money on the paid iOS apps, iAds, etc.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
There really isn't a reason for a 10 year old to have an iPod Touch. I honestly don't think there is a reason for a 10 year old to have an iPod at all, but that's only my opinion. They're your kids - raise them how you see fit.

When did it become okay for children to stop being children and turn into adults so quickly? I just don't get it.

While I agree with you that 10 years old is too young for an iPod touch I do not think its to young for an iPod. I don't mean to be rude but do you have children? My children (especially my daughter) loves music. She spends alot of her time making up her own dance routines to different songs and then shows them to us in a show when its ready. Its very expressive and creative. I see no reason she should not have a device that plays music and allows her to be expressive. I actually think the iPod helps her be a kid not pushes her to be an adult.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
yea I don't need all that crap on my work out mp3 player. nano perfect for me. the shuffle has too little space and too little control over your music!

someone must like them because all of my local apple stores are sold out

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
It's obvious that you are paying a premium price for this nano because it has apple logo on it. Also, it is the first ipod nano with major redesign since 2-3 years ago.

Back to you... why are you making another thread that has been created so many times?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.