Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
Hi, anyone know if i should use the latest ati firmware update. I have just bought a 9600 pro from owc for my digital audio power mac. The firmware update doesnt say it supports my card and i dont want to mess it up since i have just bought it.

Was wondering if anyone had any idea about this?

thanks

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
it cant do any damage if you run the updater as it detects what card you have and installs the correct rom. the installer contains roms for every card that it updates, i know for sure it has the 7000 rom, the 8500 rom the 9000 rom and the 9800 rom but i'm not sure what elce

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You should only update the firmware if you are having a problem or if it has a new feature you want. Drivers are one thing, but if your current firmware works, don't bother updating. On the other hand, if something does happen to it, OWC will probably let you RMA it.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Ah, so you got the card. Congrats.

Sorry if I confused you in my other post - I did a little looking around (since I'm gonna order a 9600 too) and I discovered that the firmware updater allows people with RETAIL Radeon cards to access the advanced feature set in the Displays 4.4 utility. Since the 9600 Pro is an OEM card, you won't need the updater (that would be for, say, a retail 9000/9800 Pro Mac edition).

So all you need to do is get the Dislapys 4.4 software and you're set.

By the way, running the updater shouldn't harm your system (if you tried it), since it would ID your card as not needing the upgrade. Good luck with it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.