PDA

View Full Version : How are you installing Jag?

cleo
Aug 23, 2002, 01:29 PM
I'm stuck at my father's office (nice view, but ****ty Compaq) waiting to get home and install Jaguar. As I sit here fantasizing about doing so, I wonder: do I do a clean install, wiping the hard drive, or just an upgrade? What are your experiences so far?

sevag1
Aug 23, 2002, 01:41 PM
my comp is a mess, so im lookin forward to wipin out everythin , and just installin a fresh copy of jag..

firewire2001
Aug 23, 2002, 01:48 PM
its always the best to do a clean install when installling major software updates..

i did the same when upgrading to 10.1..

-f

jelloshotsrule
Aug 23, 2002, 02:00 PM
i would do a clean but i don't have the time right now. so i'm doing upgrade and will probably do clean when i get to school next week

does doing a clean (not format, just clean) erase your users folders....?

Mr. Anderson
Aug 23, 2002, 02:03 PM
I've got 2 drives on my machine at home. I'll install a clean version on one drive and leave OS9 on the other.

D

evildead
Aug 23, 2002, 02:42 PM
I have to upgrade right now. I cant afford the downtime of a re-format. Backups would be massive and re-installing all the applications would be extensive. Ill have to do it when I have more time.

-evildead

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Aug 23, 2002, 02:48 PM
Recently I reinitialized the HD on my iBook so I'll just upgrade.

King Cobra
Aug 23, 2002, 04:41 PM
If I had Jaguar and my Cube with me I would do a fresh install and erase the Hard Drive.

If you have done any moderate/heavy work with your computer (lots of photo/video editing, using/installing a lot of applications) since you last erased the Hard Drive, save everything on CDs, on another Hard Drive, or another computer, and reformat. Most likely you will end up with more speed than you would if you just upgraded. Plus, you can get rid of all the clutter that would slow the computer anyways. Just remember to back up EVERYTHING.

edesignuk
Aug 23, 2002, 04:44 PM
First I did the update...but then I decided that I just had so much crap installed under 10.1 that I have now done a total new install of my entire system, both 9.2 and 10.2.
Running like a dream! :D

Pants
Aug 23, 2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by evildead
I have to upgrade right now. I cant afford the downtime of a re-format. Backups would be massive and re-installing all the applications would be extensive. Ill have to do it when I have more time.

-evildead

that was my thinking,. but 10.2 has completely shafted my ibook. looks like i'm in for the long run....

finchna
Aug 23, 2002, 05:03 PM
Hi. I just upgraded an iBook 600 dual USB over 10.1.5 and it's working fine. However, the 2002-08-23 security update is taking forever to optimize. Ciao,

Nathan

Nipsy
Aug 23, 2002, 05:09 PM
Has no-one noticed the acrhive and install option?

It archives your old system, does a clean install, and moves your Home...very nice.

big
Aug 23, 2002, 05:28 PM
>Has no-one noticed the acrhive and install option

I was just going to mention that, its very much the manual process I made under OS9, though this time I went ahead for the "WIPE THE MUTHA OUT OF THAT HARDDRIVE" option

very very nice after booting, and damn I was glad to see that smiley face go, though the apple is silly really

I see Apples in my sleep now

szark
Aug 23, 2002, 05:48 PM
Definitely a clean install on my Cube.

It's been through every release from 10.0 Beta through 10.1.5, and has developed a few quirks along the way.

rugby
Aug 23, 2002, 09:15 PM
I use the archive and preserve users option all the time. If you don't have too many messy apps that install crap all over your drive then this is the fastest method. If you do, then the long upgrade might be the best option, although I hate upgrading OS'es.