PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV now ships 3-4 weeks

DanMacApple
Sep 8, 2010, 11:16 PM
I don't know if this means anything but on the apple store the shipping time for the Apple TV is 3-4 weeks instead of Ships September as it has been stating. Maybe the first batch of orders is about ready to ship. Has anyone received shipping/tracking information from apple?

diamornte
Sep 9, 2010, 01:36 AM
I cancelled my order today and placed it again (adding AppleCare since I forgot to add that), and got these dates: "Ships by Oct 6, Delivers Oct 13." Hmmmm...

Steve Jobs=God
Sep 9, 2010, 02:30 AM
Maybe because we're now in September?

amitdoc2b
Sep 9, 2010, 02:31 AM
I cancelled my order today and placed it again (adding AppleCare since I forgot to add that), and got these dates: "Ships by Oct 6, Delivers Oct 13." Hmmmm...

What was your original ship date?

steviem
Sep 9, 2010, 02:33 AM
Mine still says 'Ships September'.

I'm not too confident about cancelling only to be put to the back of the queue!

diamornte
Sep 9, 2010, 02:34 AM
What was your original ship date?

Yeah the original ship date said "Ships September," ordered within minutes of the keynote.

UnseenLlama
Sep 9, 2010, 06:11 AM
Mine still says 'Ships September'.

I'm not too confident about cancelling only to be put to the back of the queue!

If you want the new AppleTV in September, I would not cancel your order.

Yeah the original ship date said "Ships September," ordered within minutes of the keynote.

My order says the same.

cps22
Sep 9, 2010, 06:50 AM
Mine still says September, hopefully they arrive soon!!!

wrkngclasshero
Sep 9, 2010, 06:51 AM
...I think it may be (at least at first).

I personally own two :apple:TVs and have been patiently waiting for this update for far too long. Every apple event left me somewhat crestfallen at the lack of love for this amazing niche product.

Based on the day to day temperature of this forum, it seems that there is a small but avid fan base for the little box that could (I proudly count myself a member of that club). I suspect that those of us avid fans pre-ordered as soon as it was available. Leading to a spike in sales that Apply may not have counted on.

I suspect that the initial production run was not ready for the afore-mentioned spike in sales and is now delaying it's future shipments in order to catch up.

What does worry me is the long term sales of this box. Unfortunately, I do not think that the high sales numbers will be lasting. I think that the :apple:tv will sell moderately well every month, but will ultimately be much much lower than the initial rush of the die-hard :apple:tv-ers like me.

Just my $0.02!!

Scarpad
Sep 9, 2010, 07:31 AM
I would'nt preorder I'm willing to bet if I walk into the Apple store on release date I'll get one.

bouldermac
Sep 9, 2010, 09:13 AM
Mine still says September..

diamornte
Sep 9, 2010, 11:14 AM
:'( oh well, thats what i get for trying to avoid the extra shipping charge had i just ordered the Applecare separately and kept the preorder uncancelled. But now the Applecare is already on the way, i got fedex tracking info for it. What is weird is that i did not see Applecare for the new AppleTV when i first put in the preorder on Sept 1. I do kind of expect Apple to possibly delay the launch of this thing, as they have done in the past with the original AppleTV...I remember the delay/wait for version 1 was worse. Anyone else preorder this recently and get the same Oct shipping dates? Kind of insane to think they would run out of first batch preorders so fast, only 7-8 days since it was unveiled.

TheBritishBloke
Sep 9, 2010, 11:32 AM
I ordered mine on Sept 1st, still says "Ships: September" I can't wait :P

In regards to above: They always ship when the individual items are available, and as the AppleCare is already available, they sent it out.. I wouldn't expect delays, Steve Jobs said 4 weeks, all people who ordered Sept 1st still says September, so :)

diamornte
Sep 9, 2010, 11:48 AM
I ordered mine on Sept 1st, still says "Ships: September" I can't wait :P

In regards to above: They always ship when the individual items are available, and as the AppleCare is already available, they sent it out.. I wouldn't expect delays, Steve Jobs said 4 weeks, all people who ordered Sept 1st still says September, so :)

Okay so come week of Sept 29 if people are receiving shipments and they're available in stores, i will just cancel and pick it up at the store. Hard to believe these would sell like hotcakes given that there are no commercials for it, judging from the lack of traffic to the AppleTV section of Macrumors forum and how it doesn't show up as a best seller on the online Apple Store. So :rolleyes: must be the hardcore fans who are making there be a delay in new preorder shipments.

Andy0568
Sep 9, 2010, 12:51 PM
I placed my order on September 4.
Still says "Ships: September. "
I paid for two day shipping and I live in CA

PsyD4Me
Sep 9, 2010, 03:41 PM
still says ships september, but i'm still in love with my original TV

tripjammer
Sep 9, 2010, 04:46 PM
Mine still says:
Ships: September

tripjammer
Sep 9, 2010, 04:48 PM
Okay so come week of Sept 29 if people are receiving shipments and they're available in stores, i will just cancel and pick it up at the store. Hard to believe these would sell like hotcakes given that there are no commercials for it, judging from the lack of traffic to the AppleTV section of Macrumors forum and how it doesn't show up as a best seller on the online Apple Store. So :rolleyes: must be the hardcore fans who are making there be a delay in new preorder shipments.

Man this thing is gonna start off a bit slow but will get supra hot by Xmax time. Remember its only $99 and it does everything the average person is gonna want to do with their TV.

$99 man!

$99

And it will support Airplay in November????

itsmequinn
Sep 9, 2010, 11:19 PM
Are any of you getting an "internal server error" or similar message when you click on your order details? For instance, I got to my account and then click order status and see my last two orders (apple tv and my free iPhone 4 case). If I click on the details of the case order I get some more order details, like tracking number etc. If I click on the aTV order, I get an internal server error. Obviously there's no tracking information yet but it seems unapple- like to have a server error rather than a message to the effect that there are no shipment details available. On the main order status page, I says "ships September" by the way.

Jeremy81
Sep 9, 2010, 11:26 PM
I ordered mine from Amazon on the 2nd and the shipping estimate is September 9th-10th. I'm not really counting on it though.

DeusInvictus7
Sep 10, 2010, 08:15 PM
I reordered my Apple Tv since I found out that Rogers has their own EPP program with Apple, so I got it for quite a bit cheaper than normal price.

Here's both of my orders:

EDIT: Order 2 has changed, it now displays the ship and delivery dates.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Sep 10, 2010, 08:22 PM
Why would you buy a warranty (AppleCare) for 30% of the price of the device on a product that has no moving parts? Countless studies have shown that if a problem is going to happen, it'll happen within the first couple months which is covered by the 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

diamornte
Sep 10, 2010, 08:38 PM
Why would you buy a warranty (AppleCare) for 30% of the price of the device on a product that has no moving parts? Countless studies have shown that if a problem is going to happen, it'll happen within the first couple months which is covered by the 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

Because I am a total sucker for Apple! Ha.

Also, has anyone noticed Apple TV listed as having 16GB in MacWorld's listing of the product? I thought this was streaming only. If so, that would be cool, would fix the need for computers having to be on for photo screensavers:

http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/664585/review/16gb_apple_tv_2g_late_2010.html#review

iMJustAGuy
Sep 12, 2010, 06:51 AM
October 15. :(

seanmcpherson
Sep 13, 2010, 01:18 PM
I reordered my Apple Tv since I found out that Rogers has their own EPP program with Apple, so I got it for quite a bit cheaper than normal price.

Here's both of my orders:

EDIT: Order 2 has changed, it now displays the ship and delivery dates.

So what does Order #2 look like now?

Mine (US) was ordered "Sep 1, 2010 at 12:47 PM PDT" and I'm still "Ships: September"

Going to be a fun toy, if nothing else.

DeusInvictus7
Sep 13, 2010, 03:03 PM
So what does Order #2 look like now?

Mine (US) was ordered "Sep 1, 2010 at 12:47 PM PDT" and I'm still "Ships: September"

Going to be a fun toy, if nothing else.

The third picture is what Order 2 looks like now. Ships Oct. 8, delivers Oct. 15.

Order 1 is still showing September.

gramirez2012
Sep 13, 2010, 05:38 PM
I ordered mine on Sept 1 (launch date) and it still says "Ships: September".

rediffusion
Sep 14, 2010, 02:35 PM

That's what I was thinking.

Stuipdboy1000
Sep 14, 2010, 03:59 PM
Play.com in the UK are showing the release as the 27th September. Could just be them speculating. Who knows.

mmagbee
Sep 16, 2010, 09:22 AM
You are all lucky then. I pre-ordered mine on sept 3rd and it still shows delivery of october 21st!!

I am hoping that is a fluke...

rediffusion
Sep 16, 2010, 09:40 AM
You are all lucky then. I pre-ordered mine on sept 3rd and it still shows delivery of october 21st!!

I am hoping that is a fluke...

Mine says...

Order Date: Sep 7, 2010 at 08:03 AM PDT

Ships: September

mmagbee
Sep 16, 2010, 09:52 AM
Mine says :

APPLE TV-USA
$99.00
$99.00
Ships: Oct 15
Delivers Oct 21 by Standard Shipping
Part Number: MC572LL/A

mdgolom
Sep 16, 2010, 09:55 AM
I don't know if this means anything but on the apple store the shipping time for the Apple TV is 3-4 weeks instead of Ships September as it has been stating. Maybe the first batch of orders is about ready to ship. Has anyone received shipping/tracking information from apple?

I'm guess Apple already exceeded their initial inventory of the new Apple TV, so the ship time is now 3-4 weeks instead of September. I ordered one the day they were announced so hopefully I'll get it in the next week or two. I was planning to order one for a gift for my brother's birthday, but it stinks that he'll have to wait 3-4 weeks.

DJinTX
Sep 16, 2010, 09:59 AM
I would'nt preorder I'm willing to bet if I walk into the Apple store on release date I'll get one.

I don't plan to get one as soon as they come out, but I agree with you. While I think there is a good amount of interest, I think anyone who wants one on launch day will be able to get one without pre-order.

jol45
Sep 16, 2010, 10:10 AM
When are they likely to announce the launch date? I'm assuming its the week of the 27th though.

DanMacApple
Sep 18, 2010, 07:57 PM
I wonder what is taking so long for the first shipment of apple tvs. I really thought if I ordered on the first day it would be shipped by now. I guess I am just impatience!

MacbookAlum1536
Sep 18, 2010, 08:11 PM
I wonder what is taking so long for the first shipment of apple tvs. I really thought if I ordered on the first day it would be shipped by now. I guess I am just impatient.
Jobs did say 4 weeks from the date of the keynote so probably the 28-29 and yeah I agree with you in that I'm very anxious for when it arrives. Who knows, they may arrive the 27th. :)

OldSchoolMacGuy
Sep 20, 2010, 10:09 AM
Really considering canceling my order and just wandering into an Apple store they day they're released. Can't imagine they'll be in such demand that they'll sell out. Shipping is a stupidly slow 7 days too.

Andy0568
Sep 20, 2010, 10:12 PM
Has anyone's shipping status been updated?

MacbookAlum1536
Sep 20, 2010, 10:36 PM

Mine hasn't.

WiiDSmoker
Sep 20, 2010, 10:56 PM
Really considering canceling my order and just wandering into an Apple store they day they're released. Can't imagine they'll be in such demand that they'll sell out. Shipping is a stupidly slow 7 days too.

It's what I'm doing. However; no one has any idea when they're actually shipping/arriving to the store.

DanMacApple
Sep 20, 2010, 11:41 PM

Mine still reads ships in September, so it should be anyday now as there are less than 2 weeks left in September.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Sep 20, 2010, 11:57 PM
Cancelled my order today.

I'm sure they'll be available in stores the same day they start shipping online orders as has always been the case with other Apple products. I'll ship the week wait for the item to be shipped and pick one up at the store.

mullman
Sep 21, 2010, 06:54 AM

No.
Ordered on release day, September 1st - still says 'Ships: September'

Looking forward as my old TV died a few weeks ago.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Sep 22, 2010, 05:20 PM
Apple Store website now says they ship in 2-3 weeks rather then 3-4 weeks.

bigrobb
Sep 22, 2010, 08:36 PM
I ordered mine on the 1st and my card got charged today but it still says ships September

Andy0568
Sep 22, 2010, 08:40 PM
Mine was charged too! Hopefully the shipping statuses will be updated tomorrow or the next day :D

Anybody notice that the Roku box dropped to $59 today?

tripjammer
Sep 23, 2010, 04:43 PM
Mine says shipping in September!

chrisandersen
Sep 23, 2010, 05:29 PM
Just ordered today, ships: 2-3 weeks.

Nipz
Sep 24, 2010, 11:41 AM
Someone must have experience with how long things normally take from taking paymen to shipping? I hope it ships next Monday and we get it by Friday :rolleyes::D

pirateRACE
Sep 24, 2010, 11:53 AM
Just ordered today, ships: 2-3 weeks.

Dang. I shoulda ordered Day 1. Now I'll have to try to score one at an Apple Store.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Sep 24, 2010, 03:42 PM
http://www.macworld.com/article/154341/2010/09/appletv_delay_stories.html

Ovenall
Sep 24, 2010, 04:28 PM
Hah. I ordered mine on September 2nd, and my order status still says "ships September"

Well, it's the 24th and late on a Friday. Maybe I'll get it some time in early October. No big rush, but I'm all ready for it and the long winter ahead.

Andy0568
Sep 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
Where are Apple TVs manufactured? China? I paid for two day shipping to California and I have not received a notice from Apple informing me that they have to refund my expedited shipping. Theres hope for September still :D

DanMacApple
Sep 25, 2010, 11:36 PM
I am hoping that the apple tvs will ship out on Monday! This way we would have them by the end of the week:D:D

iMJustAGuy
Sep 26, 2010, 09:22 AM
I am hoping that the apple tvs will ship out on Monday! This way we would have them by the end of the week:D:D

Speak for yourself. Mine doesn't "ship until Oct. 8" and will "Deliver by Oct. 15" :mad:

:(

bozzykid
Sep 26, 2010, 09:36 AM
Where are Apple TVs manufactured? China? I paid for two day shipping to California and I have not received a notice from Apple informing me that they have to refund my expedited shipping. Theres hope for September still :D

They only claim to ship it in September, not delivery in September. And most likely it will ship from China directly.

rusty2192
Sep 26, 2010, 09:39 AM
Speak for yourself. Mine doesn't "ship until Oct. 8" and will "Deliver by Oct. 15" :mad:

:(

I ordered yesterday and have a ship date of 10/19. Of course, i knew it would be around then before i placed the order. It was more of just a safety measure. I'm going to try to find one in the store at launch, and if that fails for whatever reason, i know i am at least on the waiting list. I'll just cancel the order if i do manage to get my hands on one, which i expect will be the case.

And as far as shipping goes, they must not be shipping the later orders direct from China. Mine is listed as shipping 10/19 and delivering 10/22. My iPhone took like 7 days to ship from China, not 3.

Tsucrew
Sep 26, 2010, 09:51 AM
Did anyone else rush out and preorder but now realize why exactly do I need a device that does nothing different then my TiVo or ps3? If apps are a part of this then yep game changer but if not oh boy became an apple victim.

rusty2192
Sep 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
Did anyone else rush out and preorder but now realize why exactly do I need a device that does nothing different then my TiVo or ps3? If apps are a part of this then yep game changer but if not oh boy became an apple victim.

If they haven't charged your card yet you can always cancel the order. And even if they did, you should be able to just ship it right back for a refund (don't open it though)

circworld
Sep 26, 2010, 11:45 AM
Order Date: Sep 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM PDT

Prepared for Shipment

Yay!

jaw04005
Sep 26, 2010, 12:01 PM
Same here. I’m sure they’ll drop ship them from China. I hope it gets here by Friday. I’ve got 4.2B1 on my iPad and I’m ready to test AirPlay!

Ordered Sep 1, 2010 at 11:29 AM PDT.

Norrsund
Sep 26, 2010, 12:05 PM
Just got an alert that my Apple TV is prepared for shipment! Awesome!

brotato
Sep 26, 2010, 12:32 PM

I did! I am looking forward to airplay though and am hoping that it will be jailbroken. For $99 I think its worth having for those features.

Nipz
Sep 26, 2010, 12:40 PM
Just got an alert that my Apple TV is prepared for shipment! Awesome!

You know the rules... screen shot or it didn't happen :)

seanmcpherson
Sep 27, 2010, 10:19 AM
You know the rules... screen shot or it didn't happen :)

KK, attached is a snip of both my Fedex tracking plus the email from apple, with some redacted order data :)

rusty2192
Sep 27, 2010, 10:31 AM
KK, attached is a snip of both my Fedex tracking plus the email from apple, with some redacted order data :)

Sweet, so if it's getting to you in Louisville on the 30th, then they should hopefully hit retail stores (Louisville and hopefully Lexington) around the same day. Friday or Saturday at the latest.

seanmcpherson
Sep 27, 2010, 10:33 AM
Sweet, so if it's getting to you in Louisville on the 30th, then they should hopefully hit retail stores (Louisville and hopefully Lexington) around the same day. Friday or Saturday at the latest.

Yeah, and I'll be out of town from Wednesday AM until late Sunday night, so it'll sit on my desk at work for several days, it seems *laugh* No AppleTV fun for me till next week!

trip1ex
Sep 27, 2010, 11:22 AM

The real world experience is what counts. Not all Netflix interfaces are equal. Not all streaming implementations are equal.

There's a difference between barely doing the job and doing it well.

I bought the ATV for the latter.

Tivo's Netflix sucks as does its streaming capabilities. The 360's leave much to be desired as well especially if you have a Mac and have most of your media stored in iTunes.

I'll be disappointed if the new ATV doesn't excel in these areas, but I'm betting it will.

If not I'll resell the thing.

seanmcpherson
Sep 27, 2010, 01:58 PM
Mine just updated; Fedex now says Oct 5th. See attached. 3 other folks I know just had the same update show up in Fedex's system.