professionally, musically, and personally over the
years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major
force within this band.

While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other
ventures and challenges, we can assure you
that Dream Theater will continue to move forward
with the same intensity — and in the same musical
tradition — that you have all helped make so
successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

Fans and friends: File this episode under “Black
Clouds and Silver Linings.”As planned, we begin
recording our newest album in January 2011, and
we’ll follow that with a full-on world tour. “The Spirit
Carries On.”

All of us in Dream Theater wholeheartedly wish Mike
the best on his musical journey. We have had a long
and meaningful career together. It is our true hope
that he finds all he is looking for, and that he
achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be
missed.
I have nothing to say except :(

dllavaneras
Sep 9, 2010, 06:10 AM
That makes two of us. It's a sad day for DT fans.

steve2112
Sep 9, 2010, 07:40 AM
I think Darth Vader sums it up best:

LinuXtreme
Sep 9, 2010, 10:18 AM
Darth Vader beat me to it (literally, that's what I sounded like when I read the headline).

I can't believe MP is leaving the band. I thought DT had finally reached their ideal place with the inclusion of Jordan Rudess and no lineup changes in over ten years. If anyone were to be leaving the band, I'd have thought it would have been one of the newer members, but never a founding member! :(

At least it wasn't due to creative differences or anything serious like that.

Edit: Actually, it looks like Portnoy left because he wanted the band to take a hiatus and the others didn't want to (http://www.facebook.com/notes/mike-portnoy/mike-portnoy-leaves-dream-theater/137362372974878). Hmmm...

*Puts on 'Mike Portnoy Drum Solo' off of Once in a Livetime*

steve2112
Sep 9, 2010, 10:46 AM
Darth Vader beat me to it (literally, that's what I sounded like when I read the headline).

I can't believe MP is leaving the band. I thought DT had finally reached their ideal place with the inclusion of Jordan Rudess and no lineup changes in over ten years. If anyone were to be leaving the band, I'd have thought it would have been one of the newer members, but never a founding member! :(

At least it wasn't due to creative differences or anything serious like that.

Edit: Actually, it looks like Portnoy left because he wanted the band to take a hiatus and the others wouldn't agree (http://http://www.facebook.com/notes/mike-portnoy/mike-portnoy-leaves-dream-theater/137362372974878). Hmmm...

*Puts on 'Mike Portnoy Drum Solo' off of Once in a Livetime*

Yeah, that is what shocked me. Portnoy has been the heart of DT since the beginning. He has been involved in all aspects of the band: songwriting, lyrics, producing, PR, etc. Honestly, I would almost rather see them pull a Zeppelin and disband rather than find a replacement. You don't just find drummers of his talent level every day.

TheAngusBurger
Sep 9, 2010, 12:44 PM
Personally I wasn't so keen on the direction the band was going, not sure if this was down to Portnoy or DT as a whole, but it was getting a little too mainstream and clichéd for my tastes...If this was indeed down to Portnoy (he's said to be very much in control) then I'm sure he'll be happier with A7X. It'll be interesting to see who replaces Portnoy, I'm hoping Rudess takes a bigger role in the band now, he just keeps getting better and better IMO.

longball11
Sep 9, 2010, 05:31 PM
It's unfortunate. Rock on! -

philbeeney
Sep 9, 2010, 06:33 PM
Here's Mike Portnoy's version of events.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Mike-Portnoy-Announces-His-Departure-From-Dream-Theater-22063.aspx

DT will go on although the new album next year will provide clues as to whether they will continue to be the great band that they are. Who knows, MP may do a Bruce Dickinson and Rob Halford and return to the fold in a few years time.

chrmjenkins
Sep 9, 2010, 06:37 PM
Interesting. I'm only a casual fan, so I don't know how important MP is to the writing process. Aside from him being a founder, it sounds like this is still a BFD.

lewis82
Sep 9, 2010, 09:07 PM
This sucks soooo much.

But some people seem to miss one thing.

Mike =/ DT. There is still JP, JM, JR, and JL. They can work together and keep the spirit of the band which has existed for 25 years.

If the band survived the loss of Kevin Moore, it can survive the loss of Mike.

St0rMl0rD
Sep 11, 2010, 01:53 AM
The two of my biggest passions, Apple and DT, coming together on one forum, wow. I was also shocked by Mike's decision to leave DT. He wanted to take a break but other band members didn't, so they decided to move on without him. Hey, it's his own fault, it's him who wanted to play in 5 bands in one year, not other members of DT...Also, considering the predictive formula of their last couple of albums, I think the new lineup will once again bring out the creativity of other band members, so this should be very exciting.

-J

Watabou
Sep 11, 2010, 02:56 AM
I really liked Mike. He's right up there in my top 10 drummer list. I wonder who's gonna replace him.

That said, I hope they put out a good album next year. I didn't really like the last album.