PDA

View Full Version : iphone, sync from a NAS - via ssh, rsync questions

slewis1972
Sep 9, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hi

I now have a jailbroken iphone 4, along with the missus.

On my previous phone - Nokia N900, I can setup wireless sycning from my NAS - a readynas duo to my phone and vice versus via a cron job and a script.

On my iphone, I hope to do something similar if I can.

So far, my train of thought is this.

1. Setup ssh so I can get in without a password eg http://pimpmiphone.info/howto/ssh-without-password.html and install rsync from cydia on iphone.
2. via script that say runs at 11pm everynight, via script, Use sshfs to map a drive on my readynas to my iphone without a password prompt
2. Using insomnia pro, at the time specified in stept 2, set it so the wireless is still enabled when the lock is on. And note, will only work when the phone is on, and in the house.
4. Via the script that maps the drive in step2, sync phones from iphone to readynas, sync podcasts from readynas to iphone, sync videos from readynas to iphone.

Now, anyone think this is possible?
Alternately, I'd prefer to have the script to map the drive run on the iphone but from my tests so far, this has not been possible as the mapped drive just wont work and the phone reboots itself.

The only thing I dont think is possible is Music due to the folder structure itunes creates. But what I would like to know, if I changed the structure and say bypassed itunes for music, will ipod app still work in the iphone? If so, I could also sync all my music.

Thoughts.

Scott

maturola
Sep 9, 2010, 09:07 AM
I am not sure exactly why would want to do such a complicated setup, (I am sure you got a good reason), but all i read was you want to have your post casts and videos syncs. If you want to play those videos and postcast on your ipod.app, this won't work. Adding videos and postast to a directory don't add them to the ipod.app, you need to add additional information to the database for that to work.

now in paper your setup should work to keep files synced between your NAS and your Iphone, but those files will be just storage on the iPhone (won't be playable) not at least until VLC is release next week.

If all you want is to have some type of Automated sync, you can use "Wifi Sync" + iScheduler. You just schedule the Wifi to come on, and them Wifi sync and iTunes will take care of the rest on your computer.

hope it help.

slewis1972
Sep 9, 2010, 09:55 AM
Bugger. I was hoping to reduce the need for itunes database and organisation. I tend to use laptops at home but at this rate, I'll have to build a virtual server just for itunes.

hmmmm. I wonder if a firefly server, as it plays itunes maybe of any benefit with databases.