PDA

View Full Version : Out of all honestly, what size iPod Touch should I get?

Vincezor
Sep 9, 2010, 09:27 AM
I know this is my first thread here, I just registered :P (In reality I've been lurking for a month now haha)

I've been contemplating whether I should go for the 8gig right now, or wait another few months to get the 32 gig. I've been waiting for the iPod Touch now for over a year (When the 3G came out, it ended up not having a camera, thus I was a bit disappointed) so I'm not sure how much longer I can wait it out :P

Anyway, I've heard that the iOS thing takes up quite a bit of space, but how much approximately?

Generally, I'll be only using the Touch for Music (I have a total of 1.5gig) and Apps/Games (No idea on what though, as I've never had an iTouch).

Limited use of the video camera I'd say, and even if, I probably will somehow transfer the recordings to my computer (If it is possible)

So now, the question: 8gig or 32gig?

I'm really unsure as I don't have a large amount of songs, and have no idea on the general size of apps ill get getting as I've never owned an Ipod touch before.

Regards,
Vincezor

aznguyen316
Sep 9, 2010, 09:30 AM
My honest opinion from what you've posted. 8GB will be fine. only 1.5GB of music? cake, apps are pretty darn small. My GF has had her 8gb for two years not really a problem, she had 4GB of music on it, one or two movies for flights and 30+ apps. Not really a big deal for her. If $80+ will take a couple months of waiting, then I say save that $80... sounds like you might need it =)

EJR
Sep 9, 2010, 09:31 AM
Honestly, if you're not going to be taking a load of video and don't really have a ton of music, the 8GB should be fine for your needs. I have about 6 gigs of music and keep roughly 3.5 on my ipod at any given time, plus I use about 30 apps. I've never had any problems, and I doubt you will either. Just know that if you do plan on taking longer videos, you'll need a 32GB for the extra storage space.

skiltrip
Sep 9, 2010, 09:33 AM
I know this is my first thread here, I just registered :P (In reality I've been lurking for a month now haha)

I've been contemplating whether I should go for the 8gig right now, or wait another few months to get the 32 gig. I've been waiting for the iPod Touch now for over a year (When the 3G came out, it ended up not having a camera, thus I was a bit disappointed) so I'm not sure how much longer I can wait it out :P

Anyway, I've heard that the iOS thing takes up quite a bit of space, but how much approximately?

Generally, I'll be only using the Touch for Music (I have a total of 1.5gig) and Apps/Games (No idea on what though, as I've never had an iTouch).

Limited use of the video camera I'd say, and even if, I probably will somehow transfer the recordings to my computer (If it is possible)

So now, the question: 8gig or 32gig?

I'm really unsure as I don't have a large amount of songs, and have no idea on the general size of apps ill get getting as I've never owned an Ipod touch before.

Regards,
Vincezor

I'd say the only reason for someone to get an 8GB is if you KNOW that you don't need the storage. Like if you're using it primarily as a PDA and email device, you have very light music listening habits, won't be watching movies on it, and don't plan to compile much video/photos on it. If you can say the previous sentence applies to you, then 8GB should be fine. But if you're doubting that that will be enough, seriously consider the 32GB.

In regards to what's left of the 8GB memory after the OS, on the 2g, it was 7GB available. It might be a tad less with iOS 4.

Drucifer
Sep 9, 2010, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the forum.

For the price difference I personally wouldn't bother with the 8GB. It wouldn't take too long to save up the extra small difference in price and get the 32GB which will have close to 4 times the storage space. Even if you don't think you will use 32GB you will probably find yourself getting close to filling 8GB. Some games are pretty large and with the new advances with the technology it looks like we are seeing bigger and better games every day. It won't take too long to fill an 8GB when you are downloading 500+ MB games, assuming you like games that is.

ucfgrad93
Sep 9, 2010, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the forum.

For the price difference I personally wouldn't bother with the 8GB. It wouldn't take too long to save up the extra small difference in price and get the 32GB which will have close to 4 times the storage space. Even if you don't think you will use 32GB you will probably find yourself getting close to filling 8GB. Some games are pretty large and with the new advances with the technology it looks like we are seeing bigger and better games every day. It won't take too long to fill an 8GB when you are downloading 500+ MB games, assuming you like games that is.

Well said, and I agree completely. 4X the storage for only $70 makes this a no-brainer in my opinion.

MsMerryMac
Sep 9, 2010, 12:14 PM
My Gen 2 was 8Gb and I thought I would never need more than that. But then I started finding all the valuable things I could do on my touch and wanted a bigger variety of MP3s and I very quickly maxed out the 8 gigs. This time around I bought the 32 gig. I don't need more than that but for not much more (seriously, not a bunch more) the 8 gig looked like a buyers remorse waiting to happen. I am VERY happy I went with the 32. Primarily because I am now able to take quick photos, videos and store voice memo's. I would go with the 32 so you can grow into it.:o

firelol222
Sep 10, 2010, 07:09 PM
definitely get the 32gb at first when i got the 8gb 2nd gen last time i thought it would be enough but after a couple of days it ran out of space because of the apps i download and plus the 32gb is only $70 more than the 8gb

LanEvo
Sep 10, 2010, 07:21 PM
In all honesty, if you have the money for a 32gb, get that. You won't regret it, I was just like you a few weeks back as well, as I never owned one. I started with the 8gb, but found it to be meager especially with the 4G with the 720P video, 32gb is the way to go. 80mb = 1 min of video on the Touch.

Kantosam
Sep 10, 2010, 07:29 PM
OP: Here's a little truism that may help (and I believe you may have already arrived at this conclusion):

If you opt for the 8gig model you will forever (forever defined as that period that you own and use before eventually abandoning, selling, giving away or losing it, etc) be confined to that unit's capacity.

Which means...

As time passes by and as there exists some likelihood that the unit's performance may lead you to enjoy more of its features (movies on the new display? Accumulating movies you've produced on the model... More music, more apps...) you may want to consider if buying the unit for your "current" use is the best idea.

I have an 8 gig 2nd generation iPod Touch (I really like calling it an iTouch, frankly, around the house -- great, I'm corrupting my children), anyway... I bought it for my then current needs. Now (and this is going to upset the religiously fanatically hateful legions of TN "Retina Display" haters) but that 2g "iTouch" blew me away with it's screen quality. 2g! Old screen! I live in Japan. So, when I travel, I take my humble 2g "iTouch" and end up watching one or two movies ("Shudder Island" and "2012") and -- no eye strain, no issues. Except, at 8 gigs I'd come to the conclusion that I'd wished I bought the 16 gig (when it was available) or the 32 gig. Of course, this was after I'd committed to the 8 gig. Sez la vie, but if that doubled pixel density in effect doubles the quality of -- what to me was an already incredible screen experience -- I'd not only spring for the new iPod Touch 4G, dude, I'd opt for that 32g version (and, likely, learn that I shoulda gone for the 64! :cool:

Does this help? The other posters were not incorrect who recommended the 8 gig experience based on your OP, but still others are worth investigating, if not due to the amount of space you get for the cost of the 32 gig model.

Okay, no more Pepsi on a Saturday morning for me... Sorry for the length...:o

MsMerryMac
Sep 10, 2010, 07:33 PM
(I really like calling it an iTouch, frankly, around the house -- great, I'm corrupting my children)

Sorry for hijacking but seriously, I call it an iTouch as well....I mean, you don't call the iPad an iPod Pad, right? :D

TorontoLRT
Sep 10, 2010, 07:33 PM
Go for at least 8 inches. Longer might be too big for her, though.
I got an 8 gig because I only want it for music and (mostly) apps, but I recommend at least 32 if you watch a lot of video.

Guiguiga
Sep 10, 2010, 08:41 PM
It all depends on how big of a deal $70 is for you.

Like others said, 4x the capacity for $70 is a no-brainer.

I went for the 32GB, I still have 14GB free, but I know it's better than having to constantly delete stuff to make room for other things.

longball11
Sep 10, 2010, 09:45 PM
Sorry for hijacking but seriously, I call it an iTouch as well....I mean, you don't call the iPad an iPod Pad, right? :D

Because the iPad was named iPad. The iPod touch was given the name iPod touch. Look on the back of the device (no, it doesn't say iPod touch but it's an iPod). The iPod touch is categorized in iPod. The iPad is its own category. By the way, don't go near my children.

fswmacguy
Sep 10, 2010, 09:54 PM
I've never bought anything higher than the lowest storage all my life until the touch got video recording.

I had a 2nd gen Nano, it was the smallest storage size.

I bought a 2nd gen iPod touch, just 8GB. It served me well.

But now that the iPod touch has HD video recording, I felt that the 32GB would come in handy. HD video takes up a lot of space.

Wigginn
Sep 10, 2010, 10:24 PM
Personally, I have 6.9 GB of video already, and I'm buying my iPod Touch tomorrow so 8GB is ridiculously small for me.

If you want to watch videos, use the video recording, and have Apps all at the same time.. the 32GB is the only way to go (Or 64GB ofc).

mofunk
Sep 11, 2010, 12:18 AM
IOS4 is 2GB so you are left with 6GB of storage space. For $60 more you can get 29GB of storage with the 32GB iTouch.

I say go with the 32GB or 64GB. I'm going with the 64GB. This way I will have atleast enough space for my Apps and Videos. I know last week I said 32GB, but after visiting the store, I think I will doing more with camera apps.

wywern209
Sep 11, 2010, 12:22 AM
go 32gb. the 8gb is a model that just won't do if you plan to use the video camera. and you music library is bound to increase in size.

headset
Sep 11, 2010, 01:11 AM
should have made this thread a poll so you could keep a tally. I vote 32. Without knowing you, just guessing you'll end up using the touch a lot more than you think and it may fill up faster than you think. 8gbs is livable, but the price difference with 32 makes it worth it even if you might not get full use out of it for a year or so.

SlamJam12
Sep 11, 2010, 01:26 AM
A 16 GB iPod touch would be ideal if a person is stuck between choosing an iPod touch model with specific memory. I understand the reason may be that they have the 8 GB model to persuade customers to spend an extra $70 to purchase bigger memory but why did they get rid of the 16 GB model and not keep it?

macgeek18
Sep 11, 2010, 03:39 AM
Get the 32GB. I ordered the 32GB 3G over the 8GB 4B because I need the space. :)6GB of music,10GB of movies,2GB of apps.yeah...

elpmas
Sep 11, 2010, 03:51 AM
32gb. worth it...big apps such as 3d apps will add up if you have a few...esp once the device is jailbroken :D