PDA

View Full Version : Airtunes question...

dscan99
Dec 14, 2004, 02:38 PM
I can't remember reading this on the Apple website.. so here goes.

Do I need an Airport Base Station to hook up Airtunes? I have a G4 iBook. I also have a Linux wireless router setup to the desktop PC get my internet access...

Thanks!

Jo-Kun
Dec 14, 2004, 04:01 PM
normally you can setup airport express as Airtunes-only... I never tried it since my AirportExpress is allso my Wireless router...

there is a possibility that you need to use AirportExpress on a different channel and need to log off from your other one to be able to use airtunes and then log on again on the other router to surf the net...

another solution (very silly one, not even 100% sure if it works but I guess it does, but maybe the way to go if you have more than one computer on the network connected to the router (maybe even wired)) Disable Wireless on your original router (thus iving the maybe wired computer(s) allso internet acces, connect your Airport express to the router... and use that as Wireless accespoint instead, giving both internet & airtunes access to the mac...

just a thought...

J

PS: just read your post again: Airport Extreme base station doesn't have Airtunes, only Airport Express...

PPS: so I think the solution: make sure you get an extra ethernetport available wich gives you internetaccess... connect Airport Express to it, set it up as Wireless Accesspoint & Airtunes... setup the Airport in your iBook... job done (should work...)

PPPS: my mistake... and you should disable the Wireless signal of your Linux Router...

dscan99
Dec 14, 2004, 04:37 PM
PPS: so I think the solution: make sure you get an extra ethernetport available wich gives you internetaccess... connect Airport Express to it, set it up as Wireless Accesspoint & Airtunes... setup the Airport in your iBook... job done (should work...)

PPPS: my mistake... and you should disable the Wireless signal of your Linux Router...

Ok. I think I understand. Please bear with me... So I should buy the AirportExpress (no base station required) and the AirTunes adapter. And not just the airtunes adaptor. Are they sold together?

And I meant to say "Linksys" router not Linux :p

Thanks.

Jo-Kun
Dec 14, 2004, 04:54 PM
hey, I thought you meant Linksys ;)

what adaptor? I bought the AirportExpress... and I have a mini-jack -> cinch cable connected to my stereo (if you want to use the optical digital output you'll need a different setup and indeed I think an adaptor from Monster)

So the setup would be like this: Broadband Connection -> Linksys Router -> Airport Express -> Stereo & Wireless to iBook

or if your PC is allso Wireless: Broadband Connection -> Airport Express -> Stereo & Wireless to iBook & PC
Linksys Router -> eBay ;)

J