PDA

View Full Version : Earbud/Mic/Remote - Is Apple being cheap again and stiffing the 8GB purchasers?

br0adband
Sep 9, 2010, 11:18 AM
Just curious:

For those buying the iPod touch 4G or have already bought one (or more, who knows), has Apple gone cheap again and stiffed the 8GB purchasers with a plain old set of earbuds while giving 32GB and 64GB owners the proper earbud/mic/remote set like they did with the "3rd gen" (no such thing for the 8GB, I understand that but even so, it was earbud/mic/remote capable), or have they gone full bonko insane this time out and nobody is getting those regardless of the model?

I'm not really interested in the 8GB model this time out, just not enough storage, and with the fairly high price jump to the 32GB model if they aren't including the proper earbuds with mic and remote, well, that's just Apple being Apple I suppose. And yes I'm well aware that the iPod touch now finally comes with a built-in mic even though it's facing the wrong way for decent FaceTime purposes (and yes I've read some reviews where people say it's working "ok" for them even in spite of it being there primarily for video recording - would it have been SO TOUGH to add a front-facing mic, Apple?).

As stated, I'm just curious...

Bleak
Sep 9, 2010, 11:20 AM
I have the 64gb ipod touch and still have the mic/buttonless headphones. Luckily I have a pair with the buttons from my 3rd gen one and they still work perfectly even after having gone through the washer :)

Link2999
Sep 9, 2010, 11:21 AM
The 32/64GB owners get the same plain headphones that the 8GB model gets. Case Closed.

ucfgrad93
Sep 9, 2010, 11:25 AM
I'm not really interested in the 8GB model this time out, just not enough storage, and with the fairly high price jump to the 32GB model if they aren't including the proper earbuds with mic and remote, well, that's just Apple being Apple I suppose.

The price jump between the 8GB and 32GB is only $70. I don't think that is too bad for 4X the amount of storage space.

darwin022
Sep 9, 2010, 12:04 PM
If you care about music, you won't use the apple earbuds.

IMO, Apple is "being cheap" and "stiffing" ALL iDevice users and has been for a long time.

Drucifer
Sep 9, 2010, 12:10 PM
As others said all 4th Gen devices are getting the same headphones. I'm guessing Apple just went with the plain headphones since the device now has a built in microphone.

skiltrip
Sep 9, 2010, 12:10 PM
It's a shame that they don't include them anymore, but you can score a new set on Ebay for about $20. Better than $30.

As far as the quality is concerned. No, none of the Apple headphones sound that great. I happen to find them very comfortable in my ears though, so I make the trade-off and use them.

br0adband
Sep 9, 2010, 12:19 PM
I asked because I take the earbud/mic/remote cable and attach real earbuds to it with a little manual hacking and soldering but, guess I'll just spend my money on an Archos 43 this time out. There's nothing in the new iPod touchs that does much of anything for me so, time for something better...

aznguyen316
Sep 9, 2010, 12:25 PM
If you care about music, you won't use the apple earbuds.

lol have to agree with this. I haven't even opened the white earbuds on my previous two ipod purchases. I've actually resold them on ebay for like $10, meh hahah. I prefer to use my portable sennheisers =)

darwin022
Sep 9, 2010, 05:52 PM
lol have to agree with this. I haven't even opened the white earbuds on my previous two ipod purchases. I've actually resold them on ebay for like $10, meh hahah. I prefer to use my portable sennheisers =)

A girl at work was complaining about how her stock iPhone headset died. I gave her the unopened one from mine. She was so happy, I was glad to get rid of them and just get them out of the box.

I did use one pair strung between 2 posts as a small drying rack once. Most use I've gotten out of a pair of white earbuds.

LanEvo
Sep 9, 2010, 06:28 PM
Yes, as well, the white ear buds scream "Steal Me, Steal Me".