Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Trying to install 10.3 for the first time on my iMac 800, 80gb, 512mb.
I booted up using my retail version of 10.3, went to Disk Utility and started
to erase the disc, ticking the options for zero all data and the second option (can't remember what it is).

I started the erase 3 1/2 hours ago and Disk Utility has stopped on 'Preparing to write random data to disk' for about an hour and a half, possibly more.
I tried to quit Disc Utility and it said that it may make the disc unusable if
I quit. I understand ticking these options takes longer, but how long?

Should I leave it? Or, if I quit could it do damage to the disc or will
I simply be able to format it normally after quitting?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
snic said:
Trying to install 10.3 for the first time on my iMac 800, 80gb, 512mb.
I booted up using my retail version of 10.3, went to Disk Utility and started
to erase the disc, ticking the options for zero all data and the second option (can't remember what it is).

I started the erase 3 1/2 hours ago and Disk Utility has stopped on 'Preparing to write random data to disk' for about an hour and a half, possibly more.
I tried to quit Disc Utility and it said that it may make the disc unusable if
I quit. I understand ticking these options takes longer, but how long?

Should I leave it? Or, if I quit could it do damage to the disc or will
I simply be able to format it normally after quitting?
You've already screwed-up. What you should have done was to get your hard drive into top condition in MacOS 9.2. Then you should have installed MacOS X 10.3 as an upgrade over MacOS 9. Your existing MacOS 9 installation would have become your Classic environment. You would also have retained the option to boot into MacOS 9. By wiping your computer, you delete all of your old data and applications. As far as I can see, you should let Disk Utility do its thing. If after a day or so it seems to be going nowhere, I would restart the process.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
MisterMe said:
You've already screwed-up. What you should have done was to get your hard drive into top condition in MacOS 9.2. Then you should have installed MacOS X 10.3 as an upgrade over MacOS 9. Your existing MacOS 9 installation would have become your Classic environment. You would also have retained the option to boot into MacOS 9. By wiping your computer, you delete all of your old data and applications. As far as I can see, you should let Disk Utility do its thing. If after a day or so it seems to be going nowhere, I would restart the process.

How is that screwing up? Many people don't run want to ever boot into os 9 or even have classic.

As for the original post:
I'd start over and do a normal format. There is no reason for the average user to zero data or random write data.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
After 1 and a half hours, its barely done. You chose ultra-security features... hehe.

Next time, don't both checking those options. It will go much faster. And you don't need to install OS 9.2 first. Just 10.3 is fine.

snic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Sorry, didn't make myself clear. I was using MacOS 10.2.8 before this. I've chosen these options before on different versions of OSX installs, but this
one has got stuck. It's been doing this for 18hours! I left it on overnight
and it seems to have moved a fraction...it's moving but very slowly. iF IT
continues at it's current rate it'll be finished in about 4-5 days!

If I quit Disk Util, go back in and format normally will it wreck the disk? Sorry to ask again, just want to be sure!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
grapes911 said:
How is that screwing up? Many people don't run want to ever boot into os 9 or even have classic.

As for the original post:
I'd start over and do a normal format. There is no reason for the average user to zero data or random write data.
Well, for one thing, snic did not explain that he was upgrading from MacOS X 10.2.8 rather than MacOS 9.2. Another thing is that he was treating a system upgrade as though he were giving a discarded CIA computer to the Iraqis without compromising US security. Knats and sledgehammers. If you don't know where you are going, you are likely not to get there. snic, like so many on this forum make changes to their computers without understanding what they are doing or why they are doing it. They then come here and to other forums like it to beg for help.

For future reference If you want to discard Classic, follow three steps:
  1. Drag your MacOS 9 System Folder and your Applications (MacOS 9) folders to the trash.
  2. Delete trash.
  3. There is no Step 3.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
MisterMe said:
Well, for one thing, snic did not explain that he was upgrading from MacOS X 10.2.8 rather than MacOS 9.2. Another thing is that he was treating a system upgrade as though he were giving diving a discarded CIA computer to the Iraqis without compromising US security. Knats and sledgehammers. If you don't know where you are going, you are likely not to get there. snic, like so many on this forum make changes to their computers without understand what they are doing or why they are doing it. They then come here and to other forums like it to beg for help.

For future reference If you want to discard Classic, follow three steps:
  1. Drag your MacOS 9 System Folder and your Applications (MacOS 9) folders to the trash.
  2. Delete trash.
  3. There is no Step 3.

1. Why did you asume he what os he was upgrading from?
2. He went over board on security, but so what?
3. Aren't these forums to people can get help?
4. You are the only one mentioning classic. Whats your obsession?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
grapes911 said:
1. Why did you asume he what os he was upgrading from?
That was a mistake on my part for which I apologize. When sinc said that he was installing MacOS X 10.3 for the first time, I assumed that he was installing MacOS X for the first time. I have subsequently learned that he was only upgrading from MacOS X 10.2.8 to MacOS X 10.3.
grapes911 said:
2. He went over board on security, but so what?
Nothing except for the fact that he had absolutely no reason to do so.
grapes911 said:
3. Aren't these forums to people can get help?
My mother always told me: "If you don't know what you are doing, ask somebody." By that she meant that you ask before you screw-up, not after. Unfortunately for snic, he had already suffered a major screw-up before he asked for help. Irrespective of ignorance, however, we all still have an obligation to logic. It makes not logical sense to irreversibly erase a disk just to upgrade the OS.
grapes911 said:
4. You are the only one mentioning classic. Whats your obsession?
I partially explained that it my response to Question 1. However, I am not the only one to mention Classic. Although I mentioned it first, Mechcozmo also mentioned it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.