Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
A week ago, my friend went to the Apple Store and bought me a $50 Apple Store Gift Card as a gift. What he didn't notice is that instead of an Apple Store Gift Card, they gave him an iTunes Gift Card. When he saw me open it, he realized they had made a mistake and gave me the receipt so I could exchange it for the correct card. Today I went to the Apple Store to purchase a new iPod Touch, explained the problem and asked that they swap it out for the correct card. Apparently, they can't do that (the employee gave me some BS reason that I don't remember). He supposedly talked to the manager, and the manager supposedly said the same thing. The employee's solution, and I quote, was "You could try selling it." Right. I took the card and walked out.

It pisses me off so much that they can't even correct their own mistake. And Apple still gets the money anyways, so what do they care what product of theirs I spend it on? Right now, I'm not even sure that I want an iPod anymore. I wouldn't mind trying a different brand. The main thing keeping me with the iPod is the money I've put into apps. I'm damn glad I never bought any music from the iTMS, or I'd be screwed big time. Maybe I'll feel different tomorrow, but if I do buy an iPod, it won't be from the Apple Store.

Anyone else have a similar negative experience with Apple's customer service, or am I the only one in the world?

May 8, 2008
While it's unfortunate, I don't blame them. It plainly says 'iTunes Gift Card' on the card and the Apple store gift card is completely different in design. There is no way someone could confuse the two.

Surely you could sell it for around $40 and if you were going to buy an iPod Touch and were prepared to fork over $200- $300 anyways, $10 shouldn't make that much of a difference.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
While it's unfortunate, I don't blame them. It plainly says 'iTunes Gift Card' on the card and the Apple store gift card is completely different in design. There is no way someone could confuse the two.

Surely you could sell it for around $40 and if you were going to buy an iPod Touch and were prepared to fork over $200- $300 anyways, $10 shouldn't make that much of a difference.

I've purchased Apple Store gift cards before, and they have the card pre-glued in a little gray paper card with a silver (or is it white?) Apple logo on the front. This is a little white paper card with a silver Apple logo on the front. If someone hasn't bought a gift card with them before, I'd say it's pretty easy to assume the Apple person activated the right one.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I don't think Apple have a very good customer service at all. I'm still sour about the iPod I bust a ball to save up for. After one week the hard drive failed, you could hear it clicking inside, trying but failing to read my music. Sent it back to Apple three times and every single time their failed to see the problem with it, and returned it claiming it had nothing wrong with it.

Bloody idiots the lot of them! It couldn't play my music due to the faulty HD, and these so called 'Genius' people failed to see that. :mad:

[/RANT]

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Sounds like you should have escalated the matter ;). More than once on something that cut and dried isn't acceptable.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
However it is more complicated than that, as cards are activated in a system. You probably can't deactivate a card..

That's not his problem, and by law Apple must make the exchange if he asks them to.

On principle, I would not back down on this issue.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Agreed. However, OP, I would just keep the card and use it to purchase some apps, music, video, etc. for your new iPod touch.

I have about $50 in iTunes credit right now from cards people have given me, and it's been that way for about a year. I simply don't buy stuff from the store, save for the occasional 99¢ app.

Its not about being loud, its about being firm.

That's what I mean. I'm just not good at that :eek:

That's not his problem, and by law Apple must make the exchange if he asks them to.

I'd like to know where you heard that. Maybe things would go more smoothly if I could point that out to them....

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple consistently scores at the top in customer service year after year. Everyone knows this - consumers, the industry, everyone.

If there's an exception, there's an exception. Your personal experience does not a universal judgment make.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
"It pisses me off so much that they can't even correct their own mistake."

Reminds me of when I bought a Chevy. I got it home and really wanted a Ford. Chevy should have KNOWN I wanted a Ford. I had the receipt. It's their fault.

Go buy an Apple Store gift card and quit wasting everyone's time.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Reminds me of when I bought a Chevy. I got it home and really wanted a Ford. Chevy should have KNOWN I wanted a Ford. I had the receipt. It's their fault.

Very poor example and attitude. Those are two different manufacturers. This is one manufacturer selling two of its own products. They would certainly accept an exchange of a product in the same condition.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It pisses me off so much that they can't even correct their own mistake.
Yeah, unfortunately, they setup the Apple Store, the Apple Online Store, the iTunes Store, and AppleCare as separate entities.

The Apple Store can sell things like iTS gift certs and AppleCare, but if its something that involves activation, often times the refunds have to be issued by the other entity.

I worked there for a few years, and as long as you had a receipt and hadn't exposed the activation code on the back, I would have at least tried to do the exchange/refund for you. If the transaction errored out because it couldn't deactivate an iTS gift cert purchased a week prior on the iTunes Store's systems, then that'd be that for what could be done in the Apple Store. You'd have to chat with the iTunes Store customer support folks. Nobody in the retail store has the ability to reach over into the iTunes Store systems and manually deactivate that card and transfer $50 back to the store so it could be credited to you to purchase a $50 store gift card.

I'm damn glad I never bought any music from the iTMS, or I'd be screwed big time.
Not really. All music for the last year-and-a-half has been sold in the iTunes Plus format, which means it doesn't have DRM (and will play pretty much anywhere). And if you did have older music with DRM, it can be upgraded to DRM-free iTunes Plus format.

Maybe I'll feel different tomorrow, but if I do buy an iPod, it won't be from the Apple Store.
"Apple still gets the money anyways", right?

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008

That's not quite it. My friend said that he wanted an Apple Store Gift Card, NOT an iTunes Store Gift Card. It's like going to the Chevy dealer and requesting a Corvette and they give you a Cavalier.

And your second statement... perhaps you'd best go back and reread my first post. I already have a card, it's just the wrong one....

The Apple Store can sell things like iTS gift certs and AppleCare, but if its something that involves activation, often times the refunds have to be issued by the other entity.

So I should be able to talk to iTMS Customer Care people (I didn't even know they had such a thing)?

I worked there for a few years, and as long as you had a receipt and hadn't exposed the activation code on the back, I would have at least tried to do the exchange/refund for you. If the transaction errored out because it couldn't deactivate an iTS gift cert purchased a week prior on the iTunes Store's systems, then that'd be that for what could be done in the Apple Store. You'd have to chat with the iTunes Store customer support folks. Nobody in the retail store has the ability to reach over into the iTunes Store systems and manually deactivate that card and transfer $50 back to the store so it could be credited to you to purchase a $50 store gift card.

Do they really have to? Apple already has the $50, can't they just destroy the iTMS card and activate a new Apple Store card? If they want I'll even reimburse them the 0.001¢ the card is worth :rolleyes:

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
That's not quite it. My friend said that he wanted an Apple Store Gift Card, NOT an iTunes Store Gift Card. It's like going to the Chevy dealer and requesting a Corvette and they give you a Cavalier.

And your second statement... perhaps you'd best go back and reread my first post. I already have a card, it's just the wrong one....

So I should be able to talk to iTMS Customer Care people (I didn't even know they had such a thing)?

Do they really have to? Apple already has the $50, can't they just destroy the iTMS card and activate a new Apple Store card? If they want I'll even reimburse them the 0.001¢ the card is worth :rolleyes:

The 0.001 value is for tax purposes, just FYI.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Just an FYI, you can return an iTunes giftcard. It just needs manager override. I used to work in Apple retail.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Just an FYI, you can return an iTunes giftcard. It just needs manager override. I used to work in Apple retail.

I went down there the other day with my friend, and we got everything straightened out. Just annoyed I had to go down there twice, as it isn't the most convenient place for me to go :rolleyes:

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
To be honest they've activated the card through whom ever actually does the card activations for all the retailers so really there isn't a clear cut nor simple way to just xfer money from the activated card into something different. Heck try walking into any super market, putting $40 down on a gift card and walking over to the customer service to get a cash refund on it.

Update: Glad to hear Apple could return the card for ya despite it taking two trips to the store. If the manager doesn't know how to do something or doesn't want to do something for ya then tell em you'll contact Steve at Steve@Apple.com which will trickle down through corporate and finally his regional manager who will get things done for ya. Thats how I got my iPhone 3G replaced when it failed and a kick ass store that I go to now every time to buy something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.