PDA

View Full Version : Shure e3c / iPod problems

wide
Dec 14, 2004, 04:02 PM
Yesterday, I got the Shure e3c and my 20 GB 4G iPod, both brand new.
Let me say first that they are great...I'm listening to them right now--incredible sound.

But here's my problem:

I few hours ago I left my house, and turned on my iPod with the e3cs plugged in. I noticed that the sound coming out of the left earbud was significantly louder than the sound coming out of the right. This continued until I got home, around two and a half hours later. When I got home, I turned my iPod off, plugged the headphones into my computer, and played some songs. Everything was fine. I figured it must be the iPod, so I plugged the headphones into the iPod to see if it was, and the sound was the same in each earbud.

I live in New York City, which is quite cold (a little below 40 today, I think) this time of year. Could that be the reason the iPod (or the headphones) didn't work properly? Although it's fine now, I'm still worrying because I got them each under 24 hours ago and they are already posing problems.

I was just wondering if anyone here has experienced this problem, with the Shure e3cs or a different brand/model.

I'd be happy to answer questions about either product)

-
Thanks for any feedback!

conceptuweasel
Dec 16, 2004, 02:28 AM
I have a pair of Etymotic Er6 headphones that I got last year that worked wonderfully for a while until all of a sudden one of them got really quiet. I kind of forgot about them for a while and just used my iPod ear buds but your post inspired me to investigate again.

It turns out that my headphones have an inner filter that keeps out earwax and dirt from getting into the speaker stuff. They can get clogged or go bad and need to be replaced. I replaced the problematic headphone's filter and everything works fine now. You probably either have a bad filter (seems quick for that) or your headphones got clogged with earwax or dirt. I carry around some Qtips in my headphone case to clean out my ears before using the headphones to keep them from getting all nasty and clogged up. Try cleaning them and/or replacing the filter and see if that helps.

Justin

JFreak
Dec 16, 2004, 02:36 AM
it takes some time to get used to how to fit earplugs inside your ear canal. most probably you just had the other one fitted badly, as that's also my problem from time to time. also, you should always check for earwax that gets inside the earplug, and always clean the plugs when you see visible dirt in there.

i have the E5's and the E1's, and have enjoyed both. congrats for your good purchase :)

wide
Dec 16, 2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks for your responses.

JFreak-- you're probably right. It was probably not sitted in my ear properly, or the wind could have blocked the sound.

thanks again!