PDA

View Full Version : In memoriam of the Happy Mac

Gus
Aug 23, 2002, 02:35 PM
Happy Mac (1984-2002)

The Happy Mac will long be remembered as an icon of greatness in the computer world. More specifically, it has touched the hearts of Apple Computer fans throughout the last two decades or so. We mourn his passing, and only hope that the legacy he has left behind will be a world of smiling Mac users who will fondly remember his eternal grin.

The Happy Mac leaves behind one a Sad Mac and a Double-Face Mac. His nemesis, the bomb, passed long before him.

;)
Gus

flanders
Aug 23, 2002, 03:00 PM
okay, I could wait to find out tonight ;-)

but what replaces the happy mac in x.2?

jrbohorquezg
Aug 23, 2002, 04:08 PM
Sadly, just a grey apple.

mnkeybsness
Aug 23, 2002, 05:24 PM
and the little countdown quicktime graphic from the apple store that would spin around and have the time left till jaguar is released

bousozoku
Aug 23, 2002, 11:39 PM
At least, it's not a bunch of little bombs.

What's the error number? 1...2...3...

SilvorX
Aug 24, 2002, 12:33 AM
RIP happy mac
i remember seeing that mac for as long as i've been using macs
i thought they were gonna replace that boot up screen with that light blue screen

bigsteve3
Aug 24, 2002, 01:15 AM
Alas, the Happy Mac is gone forever...I will also miss it quite a bit. I took it for granted every time my old Mac would turn on, until one day about seven years ago when I was greeted not by the Happy Mac, but a Mac with X's for eyes and hex numbers below it! It was even nice enough to play a bit of the Twilight Zone theme! Actually, I had been messing around with ResEdit and the System Folder :eek:

Ever since then, I have been thankful for Happy Mac :)

ibookin'
Aug 24, 2002, 03:15 AM
Earlier betas of Jaguar had a spruced up Happy Mac as the boot screen. When I ran 6C98 I was greeted with a smiling Happy Mac every time I turned on my iBook.

Happy Mac's last moments were the best of it's life. RIP Happy Mac.

SilvorX
Aug 24, 2002, 04:15 AM
someone should post an image of the ol' Happy mac if they have a pic of it handy....

Pants
Aug 24, 2002, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
Earlier betas of Jaguar had a spruced up Happy Mac as the boot screen. When I ran 6C98 I was greeted with a smiling Happy Mac every time I turned on my iBook.

Happy Mac's last moments were the best of it's life. RIP Happy Mac.

they really should have kept the happy mac. the grey apple is EXACTLY that - grey and anonymous. I liked the happy mac - it was there smiling out at you the moment you turned on the box; now its just another example of grey corporate life. :( Sadly, it seems apple is intent on losing its happy ' we're one of you' image and just becoming another utilitarian big business corporate clone. A sad day indeed.

And now i get even more obscure hexadecimal error messages in 3 languages - great.

pianojoe
Aug 24, 2002, 05:38 AM
Anyone please write a hack to bring it back! I can't do without!

mac15
Aug 24, 2002, 05:57 AM
you sad people, but the grey appl is kinda plain, they need an aqua one instead or a movie, only 5secs but something better than this

Macmaniac
Aug 24, 2002, 07:26 AM
I'm so sad! Why did they do this? That was one of the macs unique things that made it special, they should have replaced it with something cooler.
Teer Teer.

King Cobra
Aug 24, 2002, 07:31 AM
I don't plan to install Jaguar until the end of this year, so I still get to see Happy once in a while.

After that, I will still have OS 9 on my iMac, so Happy will be waiting for me once I return to Maine. :p :)

awrc
Aug 24, 2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I'm so sad! Why did they do this? That was one of the macs unique things that made it special, they should have replaced it with something cooler.
Teer Teer.
While the grey Apple isn't exactly exciting, it at least fits with Apple's current "corporate image".

The Happy Mac, beloved as it was by many old timers, was an anachronism that probably confused the hell out of many Switchers and other new users, many of whom wouldn't recognize a toaster Mac (happy or otherwise) if you hit them over the head with it.

Of course, I suppose they could have had 10.2 recognize what it was running on and show a Happy PowerMac or a Happy PowerBook or a Happy iMac or whatever. That would have been rather neat.

Oh, and is it just my imagination, or is the perceived faster boot just an illusion? Sure, the blue "Mac OS X" screen stays up for half the time it used to, but it seems to me that the grey-on-white Apple stays up a lot longer than the old Happy Mac did.