Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jinyoungkim7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Maryland, USA
Hey guys, i just got my iPod Touch 4G 32g yesterday and I was playing around with a lot of the apps.

Although the new ones have the A4 chip, more ram etc. I've noticed that my 2nd gen iPod Touch does a faster job streaming videos on Youtube. My wifi network is mediocre and I put my 2nd gen and my new 4th gen side by side and tried playing lots of videos on Youtube. I noticed that videos started up quicker and buffered a lot faster on my 2nd gen than on my 4th gen..

This also happened a LITTLE bit when I was comparing Netflix instant streaming on the two of them. Netflix wasn't bad at all though.

Has anyone encountered the same problem as me and does anyone know why or how to fix it?

Thanks!

pacers721

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
I noticed this too when I was comparing one with my 3G at an Apple store. My only guess is that you are streaming more data (the videos are in high resolution), so therefore it will take longer to load. There may be an option (via the touch or youtube settings) to play lower quality videos.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Maybe the 4th gen streams a higher quality version of the video?
I'm pretty sure the iPad does too

fwoppers

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
What I found odd is that the official YouTube default app was loading videos a lot slower than the little app bookmark that YouTube asks you to install when you visit the site. So, maybe try that? :p

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
I'm experiencing INSANE slowness when downloading youtube videos. My 64 gig iPad is screaming fast when using Downloads HD. When I use the same app on my iPod Touch 4g it's not even worth bothering.

It's weird. It starts off really fast like 1.5 meg per second. Then it quickly slows down to a crawl.

ascendedoshen

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
Kauai
Yes mobile YouTube is better because it uses html5

And native iPod app is still running QuickTime you can see how superior HTML 5 is your finding it in most iPod apps from app store which is lightning fast! Send apple a complaint about this so they get on the ball!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.