PDA

View Full Version : Apple tv alternative?

iowamensan
Sep 9, 2010, 08:28 PM
First, don't thrash me for looking for something other than an apple tv on an apple tv board. I have an apple tv, it gets used daily, and i love it. However, I'm going to be camping in the infield at talladega speedway next month and my friends rv has a tv with only composite inputs. I would love to buy the new apple tv, and probably will anyway but i won't be able to use my old one in the rv. Im looking at being able to put a good number of my movies on an external, plug that into a device to play them on the tv. Ive been looking at the WD HD TV device, and I think it will do what i want it to. They have a mini version but from what i gather it can't play H264 movies and mp4s. All of my movies are encoded using the handbrake apple tv setting, so i don't think it will play them from my limited knowledge of video formats.

I'm just looking for some advice on what the best device would be for what i want it to do, and I don't really want to spend a bunch of money because it might only be used for this trip. If it does streaming from a wireless connection a la apple tv, I might continue to use it, but the device i see with that feature cost considerably more. There is a reconditioned WD HD TV on amazon for 56 bucks. If that device will work for what I am looking for, that might be the best bet.

Anyone have any experience with other digital media devices?
Thanks,
Geoff

rprebel
Sep 9, 2010, 08:39 PM
I found a couple of pretty cheap options on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Component-Video-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B001IUQB2W/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_3
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-VGA-Cable-1-8ft/dp/B002ZUI68G/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1
Both are $10-$15.

nobunaga209
Sep 9, 2010, 08:41 PM
The WD TV Live is a GREAT product! Short of a Mac Mini it plays everything you throw at it and handles various audio formats too. I've had one for about a year now and highly recommend it.

iowamensan
Sep 9, 2010, 10:24 PM
I found a couple of pretty cheap options on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Component-Video-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B001IUQB2W/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_3
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-VGA-Cable-1-8ft/dp/B002ZUI68G/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1
Both are $10-$15.

I was almost intrigued by the second one, till I read the reviews.

rprebel
Sep 9, 2010, 10:31 PM
I was almost intrigued by the second one, till I read the reviews.
Oops, guess I should have read those myself. I have heard good things about WD TV.

Andy0568
Sep 9, 2010, 10:59 PM
Some Internet rumblings have been saying the Google TV will come out in October...just my $.02

amorya
Sep 10, 2010, 06:48 AM
my friends rv has a tv with only composite inputs. I would love to buy the new apple tv, and probably will anyway but i won't be able to use my old one in the rv.

You will if you hack it. I have an AppleTV I've been using with my standard def composite video only TV.

Amorya

bt22
Sep 10, 2010, 08:22 AM
First, don't thrash me for looking for something other than an apple tv on an apple tv board. I have an apple tv, it gets used daily, and i love it. However, I'm going to be camping in the infield at talladega speedway next month and my friends rv has a tv with only composite inputs. I would love to buy the new apple tv, and probably will anyway but i won't be able to use my old one in the rv. Im looking at being able to put a good number of my movies on an external, plug that into a device to play them on the tv. Ive been looking at the WD HD TV device, and I think it will do what i want it to. They have a mini version but from what i gather it can't play H264 movies and mp4s. All of my movies are encoded using the handbrake apple tv setting, so i don't think it will play them from my limited knowledge of video formats.

I'm just looking for some advice on what the best device would be for what i want it to do, and I don't really want to spend a bunch of money because it might only be used for this trip. If it does streaming from a wireless connection a la apple tv, I might continue to use it, but the device i see with that feature cost considerably more. There is a reconditioned WD HD TV on amazon for 56 bucks. If that device will work for what I am looking for, that might be the best bet.

Anyone have any experience with other digital media devices?
Thanks,
Geoff

If you already have a lappy computer you could use your current :apple:TV and your laptop computer. Store what movies won't fit on your :apple:TV on your Laptop and stream them to the :apple:TV. You could also use an external HDD with your laptop if you can't get all of the movies onto your laptop.

iowamensan
Sep 14, 2010, 09:08 AM
I ordered a refurb WD TV for $35 from eCost... sounds like that is my best option. Thanks for all the advice!