Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adibobea9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
I am finally getting around to downloading apps and wanted to get an idea of apps that people really love. I am looking for unique things that can especially be done on the iPad or iPod Touch. Pandora, Netflix, Facebook are cool and all, but what are your top 3 apps you use. What are the apps that have made you happy with your purchase of an iPad…

Adibobea9

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Wow really? Another one of these threads?

Excuse me for not spending my entire life on the MacRumors forums like some people. If you don't want another thread like this, then I suggest you point me in the direction to the other posts, so I can be better informed. That way you don't waste your reply on complaining…

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I use Safari and Mail A-LOT, but things that seem to impress others that use my iPad are:

Star Walk
Harbor Master
Reuters News
iBook

denisvj

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
Reeder
Omnifocus
Mail and some games

Posting from my iPad while playing mw2. :)

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Everyone is into different things so might I suggest one that's great for all:

Appshopper

Just released, and they did a great job. Make your settings for iPad, price changes, free, and then see what goes on sale and explore! It's a tremendous resource and something you'll use everyday.

TheXIIIth

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Dropbox
Woot [not specifically for the iPad]
Atomic Browser
**Honorary mention - Flipboard / ColorSplash / npr / Masque / TiltShift

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Excuse me for not spending my entire life on the MacRumors forums like some people. If you don't want another thread like this, then I suggest you point me in the direction to the other posts, so I can be better informed. That way you don't waste your reply on complaining…

I think what the respondent forgot to mention was that there is already a few threads regarding your topic. If you use the search feature you would probably already be in App Heaven. Start here and see it helps.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/922203/

Zodiak

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Gatineau, Qc, Canada
Mine would be: (More then 3 Warning! lol)

Apps
Early Edition (I just like the fact that it makes RSS look like your daily news paper)
App Advice (Daily News on Apps)
App Shopper (Finally an App Price Tracker specifically for the iPad that doesnt look all bad with stretched out graphics, very useful)
Banking (Sounds Dumb but not really, I go to Safari, navigate to all my financial websites: Banking, Credit Card, Savings, Stock, etc and then chose to add them as Icons directly on my springboard)
GPS! (never be lost again)
Password Keeping App (Enter all of your damn passwords for all of your websites, memberships, accounts, financial, accounts, personal information, numbers at your fingertips, just make sure you create a strong password with Caps, numbers and special characters that you will remember)
ABC Player/Netflix (Just pure awesomeness
Howcast (Like the above but with all How To videos)
Crunchyroll (One stop free/membership anime viewing)

Games
RPG: Dungeon Hunter, Pocket Legends (MMO for iPad), Rimelands, Underworlds, Epic Citadel (Demo, Just DOWNLOAD IT!!)
Puzzle: 1112, 1112 Episode 2, Hector, Sam & Max
Arcade: Plants vs Zombies (PvZ), Metor Blitz, Critical Wave, The Incident, Toki Tori, Ozone HD, Pix'n Rush, Angry Birds
Shooter: NOVA
Strategy: Warpgate HD, Zombie Infection

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Well then I will post more than three too! ;)

Safari
GoodReader
Flipboard
BeejiveIM
Mail
SketchBook Pro

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010

I feel like there is a button/feature that does that for you.

kaibob

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona

There is a MacRumors forum specifically for iPad apps. It's best to start there:

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/144/

Then do a search of that forum on the words, best apps, and you will find many threads. For example:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/992778/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/986429/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/954654/

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Beejive... really? They have the worst customer service and want $16 for the iPhone app and another $10 for the iPad app... what idiots.

Anyways, my top 3 are (if not more):
1. AppShopper
2. Notes Plus (Use it for hours)
3. Skype (waiting for iPad version)
4,5,6,...,n: usual iOS apps + what everyone mentioned + whatever had 4 stars and up.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Here's my top 3 apps (currently) that are unique to the iPad:

Flipboard - So cool to be able to flip through a "magazine" that you built yourself from your twitter, facebook or other sources. I use this app every single day.

Marble Mixer - The best way (that I know of) to currently play a 4 player game where everyone's hands are on the same screen at the same time is on an iPad. Marble Mixer is the best example I have come across (though Ploid is good too!). It's crazy fun to play a game this way. And definitely something you can't do with a computer, game console or even an iPhone.

ABC Player - Perhaps not unique since you can watch their shows on a computer, but there is something so nice about having TV shows in your hands on the go. Plus I think this app actually works better then the browser based alternative for computers. Honorable mention would go to Air Video for the same mobile entertainment value. I've had good results using Dropbox in this manner as well. It's fantastic being able to access so many videos or song files without actually having to have them taking up room on the limited storage of a mobile device.

BaronStein

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2010
NY

Still, there is a search field for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.