PDA

View Full Version : 3D illusion slows drivers

obeygiant
Sep 9, 2010, 09:35 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/biqb2g.jpg

What would happen if you saw a 3D illusion of a young girl chasing a ball across the street near a school?

A Canadian safety group hopes you'd slow down and think twice about speeding through a school zone. Critics of the image say it might scare drivers and lead to accidents.

Either way, she's got your attention, which is the point, said a spokesman for Preventable, a British Columbia-based safety awareness group behind the stunt.

"This is a way to reinvigorate what becomes a pretty tired message every year. We become anesthetized to the risks related to driving, but the risks are very real, especially in British Columbia, where we have more than 400 fatalities each year related to motor vehicles," said David Dunne, Director of the Traffic Safety Foundation and spokesperson for Preventable.

The 45-foot, heat-treated 2D decal will stay on a busy intersection near the Ecole Pauline Johnson in West Vancouver for a week. The illusion's debut on Tuesday coincided with the start of school year, when children are at the greatest risk of pedestrian-related injuries, Preventable says on its website.

The group, which uses guerrilla marketing in campaigns focusing on preventable injuries, developed the image with the support of the BCAA Traffic Safety Foundation.
cnn (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/09/3d-illusion-in-street-tries-to-change-drivers-attitudes/?hpt=C2)

This would give me a heart attack if I wasn't ready. sheesh!

rprebel
Sep 9, 2010, 09:37 PM
This is insane and will only cause accidents.

RawBert
Sep 9, 2010, 09:51 PM
Me no likey.

I hope someone dumps black paint all over it.

That's why speed bumps were invented. This will just cause jolting reactions.

Ttownbeast
Sep 9, 2010, 09:54 PM
I am all for artistic expression, but considering our training as a nation of drivers this is abnormal and possibly more distracting than a cellphone.

ucfgrad93
Sep 9, 2010, 10:03 PM
cnn (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/09/3d-illusion-in-street-tries-to-change-drivers-attitudes/?hpt=C2)

This would give me a heart attack if I wasn't ready. sheesh!

This is insane and will only cause accidents.

Agreed, I don't think this is a good idea.

Ttownbeast
Sep 9, 2010, 10:08 PM
Agreed, I don't think this is a good idea.

Imagine the increase in rear end accidents associated with streets which use such a traffic marker with this degree of realism--considering we are accustomed to stick figure stencils.

awmazz
Sep 9, 2010, 11:09 PM
What if there was a real little girl with a pink ball and you assumed it was just another decal and kept going...

dmr727
Sep 9, 2010, 11:10 PM
Imagine the increase in rear end accidents associated with streets which use such a traffic marker with this degree of realism--considering we are accustomed to stick figure stencils.

Or we get so used to seeing these that we fail to stop when there's actually a young girl in the road chasing a ball. ;)

EDIT: What if there was a real little girl with a pink ball and you assumed it was just another decal and kept going...

Beat me to it!

Ttownbeast
Sep 10, 2010, 01:40 AM
What if there was a real little girl with a pink ball and you assumed it was just another decal and kept going...

*squish!* OH **** another one!?

Abstract
Sep 10, 2010, 04:08 AM

Exactly what I was going to post.

R94N
Sep 10, 2010, 09:55 AM
Clever idea, not sure whether drivers are actually going to slow down though. The YouTube video I saw of this was pretty interesting, particularly the comments (always love the YouTube comments haha).

GFLPraxis
Sep 10, 2010, 11:18 AM
Or we get so used to seeing these that we fail to stop when there's actually a young girl in the road chasing a ball. ;)

Blame the government and sue them for your distress!

2jaded2care
Sep 10, 2010, 12:14 PM
Conjures images of a drunken steamroller driver in my mind. (Blame Looney Tunes.)

Don't panic
Sep 10, 2010, 01:35 PM
seems like an incredibly dumb idea

here is a video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r26AwT7PTM

this reminds me ages ago i was travelling in austria (i think, maybe switzerland) and they had cutouts of police officers and cars on the side of the road. it was surprisingly effective.

snberk103
Sep 10, 2010, 01:48 PM
What the quoted text in the first post (and the CNN article barely mentions) is that the image does not "just appear". As you approach the school zone there are signs. Signs that you are in school zone. Signs that there is a traffic calming device ahead. As you approach you will see a funny blob, clearly. As you continue to approach the image it will transition into the 'girl and ball'.

The zone is a school zone, so drivers should already be going slow (30kph).

My fear is not that there will be accidents, but that there will be extra traffic as people come from all over to get a look at this. It's getting huge play in Vancouver, not surprisingly.

Surely
Sep 10, 2010, 02:16 PM

Agreed.

I think that painting a giant 3D penis on the street would somehow be more effective. And hilarious.

djellison
Sep 10, 2010, 07:04 PM

Bingo. This is simply not right. You should advise and warn drivers with signage etc, but not try and deceive them or trick them.

rhett7660
Sep 10, 2010, 08:03 PM

You are having to dig pretty deep for this one. A: little girls don't wear pink shoes. Come on now. Pink is sooo 70's. And B: they would have to be outside playing with a ball and not in front of a tv playing Wii!

snberk103
Sep 11, 2010, 12:08 PM

If a driver couldn't tell the difference between a blob that resolves into a static image of a kid and ball, and the real thing... then they shouldn't be driving.

And, to everyone else. The decal is up only for week. The whole point is to get media attention and coverage to help educate drivers about the first week of school. Which is the deadliest week for school kids as they and drivers get used to the school year traffic patterns.

Counterfit
Sep 11, 2010, 11:20 PM
Invisible rope is far more effective.

whooleytoo
Sep 15, 2010, 11:00 AM
Why not just do an image of a really big, steep speed-bump? Drivers would slow down in anticipation, without the discomfort of a real speed-bump, and without the knee-jerk reaction of seeing a child on the road.

And if any driver saw a real speed bump and thought it's just a fake... It'll serve them right! ;)

snberk103
Sep 15, 2010, 12:02 PM
Why not just do an image of a really big, steep speed-bump? Drivers would slow down in anticipation, without the discomfort of a real speed-bump, and without the knee-jerk reaction of seeing a child on the road.

And if any driver saw a real speed bump and thought it's just a fake... It'll serve them right! ;)

Good suggestion.... though, it would just be easier and cheaper to actually make the speed bump. Vancouver has numerous wide and low speed bumps, that come in pairs. If you drive over them at 30kph or less it's like a boat going over a swell. You float over them in a distintive uup-dowwn-uup-dowwn motion. Hit them going too fast, and you slam down on the 2nd bump so hard you bottom out. One learns to slow down when approaching these bumps....

Counterfit
Sep 17, 2010, 02:47 PM
Hit the first one really fast so you can double (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVpXfx1gEs) them.

ideal.dreams
Sep 18, 2010, 01:22 AM
I can see where they're going with this, but I don't think it's the best idea in the world. What would happen if the driver sees it, and swerves into oncoming traffic to prevent from hitting the 'child'?

I'd rather have a little speeding without scaring drivers half to death.

Mac Kiwi
Sep 18, 2010, 02:57 AM
At least they did not add a cast shadow to her, that would make it ten times worse.

Even with warning signs I still do not know if this is a good idea. It will only take one bad driver to run down someone, thinking its one of these road images. It does not have to look like a little girl either if people get used to these over time....they will just think its a new kind of shape / image which has been added.

Maybe a cop with his hand up would have been a better idea.

Les Kern
Sep 22, 2010, 08:24 AM
In the running for the top ten most ridiculous ideas in transportation history.

tkermit
Sep 22, 2010, 12:34 PM
The pseudo-3D effect is fine and the idea is very creative and worth trying out I think, but they maybe shouldn't make the kid look so realistic. I suspect that it may not be in the public interest to encourage drivers to get used to running over what just seconds ago looked like a child playing on the street.

How about something like this instead:

sushi
Sep 22, 2010, 12:39 PM
While the intent is good, I don't see this as a goo idea.

For example:

To me this will make drivers more complacent after the initial scare because they will get used to it.

tkermit
Sep 22, 2010, 12:44 PM
By the way, this really reminds me of another design project (http://www.axelpeemoeller.com/eurekacarpark.html). I wonder how well the illusion works in practice.

EDIT: Of course, regarding the effort to make drivers slow down and look out for kids, maybe abandoning the notion (http://www.wilsonquarterly.com/article.cfm?aid=1234) that more signs are the solution would be a neat idea as well.

"When you treat people like idiots, they’ll behave like idiots.”

Andrew K.
Sep 23, 2010, 03:05 PM
She's just gonna get all dirty, then you have to find a new little girl to flatten out on the road.

iJohnHenry
Sep 23, 2010, 05:22 PM
She's just gonna get all dirty, then you have to find a new little girl to flatten out on the road.

We laminated her first.

knightlie
Sep 24, 2010, 12:52 PM

As it's a school zone there is already a potential for this to be a real girl, whose appearance would also cause rear-end accidents. The issue is that drivers should be driving in such a way that they avoid an accident should the vehicle in front stop suddenly - if say a little girl runs in front of them. If you're tailgating someone who may have to stop suddenly - regardless of the reason - then you're driving dangerously.

Some very strange attitudes towards road safety in this thread...

Ttownbeast
Sep 24, 2010, 06:16 PM
The pseudo-3D effect is fine and the idea is very creative and worth trying out I think, but they maybe shouldn't make the kid look so realistic. I suspect that it may not be in the public interest to encourage drivers to get used to running over what just seconds ago looked like a child playing on the street.

How about something like this instead:

That would be reasonable and abstract enough

Disc Golfer
Sep 27, 2010, 12:12 PM
If a person is unable to tell the difference between an image stuck to the ground and an actual human, they shouldn't be driving.

Dr Kevorkian94
Sep 30, 2010, 06:50 PM
that is awesome but obviously dangerous, they should just put a 3d stop sign not a person that is too much, but otherwise that is awsome

iJohnHenry
Sep 30, 2010, 07:10 PM
Can I float a new idea? How about speed-sensitive road spikes??

Tire damage will usually slow most speeders down.

The technology already exists for fire trucks, to over-ride traffic signals with some kind of IR/electronic signal.

Is something like spikes imbedded in the road on "springs" so much different??

LordDixon
Oct 18, 2010, 05:46 PM
Don't you actually end up running over the girl. So you go to another block where the girl is real and you think it's a 3D illusion and that girl is dead.

thevincentlee
Oct 18, 2010, 06:58 PM
once people catch on that it is a fake girl, they will just speed through it, and when a real girl with the same clothes and ball they will hit her and kill her.

R94N
Oct 19, 2010, 04:36 AM
once people catch on that it is a fake girl, they will just speed through it, and when a real girl with the same clothes and ball they will hit her and kill her.

Good point :) Although the chances of a girl wearing the exact same things is small.

xNatechx
Oct 19, 2010, 03:12 PM
Good point :) Although the chances of a girl wearing the exact same things is small.

Come on now, every little girl in the world wants to wear the same thing as their friend ;)