PDA

View Full Version : oh no, I broke my poowwer adapter plug...

KMP
Dec 14, 2004, 09:00 PM
I wasn't trying to do it but I got my power adapter cord tangled in my office chair and pulled it, (my 15" Alum PB) right off my desk onto the floor. This was in the middle of a meeting so I did my best not to weep or knash my teeth while the mgmt consultant was making his presentation. He may have been disturbed my seemingly cavalier attitude but I think he secretly noted that no dos-head would ever do such a thing. I did cry after he left. At any rate, the AC adapter plug broke off...thankfully not it the receptacle but in I hade as I tried to straighten it...
So the question, now that you know entirely too much about my day,
where can I buy a new male plug that I can solder, splice, or by any means possible repair the plug?

Question # 2. I have 2 power adapter from my old Wallstreet PB. Is there an adapter plug available so I can use that power supply? Having AC adapters in multiple location would help perhaps.

Thanks in advance!!

Keith :rolleyes:

diamond geezer
Dec 14, 2004, 10:16 PM
Your old Powerbook adapter is only 45W, your 15" PowerBook requires 65W.

I wouldn't suggest repairing the adapter.

crazzyeddie
Dec 14, 2004, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't suggest repairing the adapter.

Agreed. Sounds like an A+ idea if you want to fry your Powerbook.

Jsmit
Dec 14, 2004, 11:42 PM
Sorry to here about your bad day.

I would have to agree with the posts above. You clearly care about about your PowerBook, so why not splurge and lay out the 80 USD on a new power adapter? I am sure you could probably splice a new end onto the wire, but do you really want to take the risk of possible PB death. I broke the screen on my 12" and had it fixed, a very pain accident. I still can't talk about it. I considered trying to fix it myself...
i know how you feel.

[edit: pbfixit (http://www.pbfixit.com/cart/catalog/category_13_AC_Adapters_page_1.html) has used ones for sale]

OnceUGoMac
Dec 15, 2004, 12:51 AM
Well, it looks like you PB is useless. I'll take it of your hands free of charge for recycling. :p

cluthz
Dec 15, 2004, 06:26 AM
Apples original adapters are often very expensive, there are also others who sells adapters, this one costs $35 new:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=6432&Item=MICACADPTG4

mosfet
Dec 15, 2004, 06:38 AM
That happened to me, but it was either my extremely innatentive child, or the repair man. :(

I ended up forking the cash to get a new one.

Maybe I'll use the old one for some odd tinkering project... :P

zim
Dec 15, 2004, 06:53 AM
It happens. I am on my second power adaptor, first one lasted about 1.5 - 2 years, broke right where the cord goes into the plug going into the laptop. I have a feeling that I will replace it one more time before upgrading. When mine went, I had asked the local apple reseller if this was norma, his reply was "yup." I take good care of my laptop, not a scratch on it, well other then the paint chipping off, this is a 667 G4. The cords are not designed for a lot of abuse. When I say abuse, I mean moving it from the coffee table to couch and back everyday, multiple times a day.

What I wish Apple would do is make it so that both sides of the power brick are detachable, making it so you could replace the slimmer part of the cord in these situations.

mslifkin
Dec 15, 2004, 10:02 AM
I wasn't trying to do it but I got my power adapter cord tangled in my office chair and pulled it, (my 15" Alum PB) right off my desk onto the floor. This was in the middle of a meeting so I did my best not to weep or knash my teeth while the mgmt consultant was making his presentation. He may have been disturbed my seemingly cavalier attitude but I think he secretly noted that no dos-head would ever do such a thing. I did cry after he left. At any rate, the AC adapter plug broke off...thankfully not it the receptacle but in I hade as I tried to straighten it...
So the question, now that you know entirely too much about my day,
where can I buy a new male plug that I can solder, splice, or by any means possible repair the plug?

Question # 2. I have 2 power adapter from my old Wallstreet PB. Is there an adapter plug available so I can use that power supply? Having AC adapters in multiple location would help perhaps.

Thanks in advance!!

Keith :rolleyes:

Hi Keith,

I'm not quite sure that I understand what you did. Are you saying that the power supply pulled out of the wall recepticle, and that the plug broke? Did one or both of the metal blades snap off? That plug assembly is designed to come off, and a line cord with a similar fitting is usually supplied to connect to the power supply in place of the blades, to give you a longer reach to the outlet. If this is what happened there's no problem. You should see a round metal post on the power supply, and a slot in the blade assembly. Just line up the slot with the post and push it all the way in. If it was the blades that snapped you might be able to find a line cord (the one I mentioned above) to use instead of plugging the power supply directly into the wall.

Regards,
Marc

wPod
Dec 15, 2004, 10:41 AM
id go with buying a new adapter. i have 2 adapters as it is. one that stays nice and plugged in at my desk where i use my PB often. and then a 2nd adapater for abuse on the road, when i take it to work or on a trip etc.