Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sup3r1or

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Manchester, UK
I have been a windows user for more than 10 years, but this kind of a thing I did not experience as a new mac owner.

Just installed windows 7 64 bit via bootcamp and dived straight to land of the problems.

1. Why my GeForce 320 M doest work? I ran install of Bootcamp with drivers it showed that it is installing nvidia drivers but in device manager it says "Standart VGA Graphics adapter" my resolution is screwed up. WTF? I installed Win 7 for casual gaming only so this will not do please tell me how to fix it?

2. Why the keyboard illumination cannot be turned off completely? I set it to the minimum but still it still shines, that is annoying and I do not need extra heat.

3. Some devices in device manager still cannot be recognized "Coprocessor" and "SM BUS controller", where to get drivers for these devices.

I have Macbook pro 13" mid 2010 model

4. P.S I just noticed that windows sees my OSX partition how is that possble?

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
I have been a windows user for more than 10 years, but this kind of a thing I did not experience as a new mac owner.

Just installed windows 7 64 bit via bootcamp and dived straight to land of the problems.

1. Why my GeForce 320 M doest work? I ran install of Bootcamp with drivers it showed that it is installing nvidia drivers but in device manager it says "Standart VGA Graphics adapter" my resolution is screwed up. WTF? I installed Win 7 for casual gaming only so this will not do please tell me how to fix it?

2. Why the keyboard illumination cannot be turned off completely? I set it to the minimum but still it still shines, that is annoying and I do not need extra heat.

3. Some devices in device manager still cannot be recognized "Coprocessor" and "SM BUS controller", where to get drivers for these devices.

I have Macbook pro 13" mid 2010 model

I'm heading to work and don't have time to write out a full explanation, but here's a brief shot: 1) Install drivers from nVidia directly. 2) Reinstall bootcamp drivers 3) Run Windows update and see if it captures the drivers.

sup3r1or

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Manchester, UK
I'm heading to work and don't have time to write out a full explanation, but here's a brief shot: 1) Install drivers from nVidia directly. 2) Reinstall bootcamp drivers 3) Run Windows update and see if it captures the drivers.

Mate I have tried all of that, nothing works. Nvidia Drivers do no install saying I do not have the hardware or something like that, which is bullst. Tried windows update it cant find sh....t only Lan driver. Sorry for bad words but it pisses me off. Also wanted to ask does it matter if it is 32 or 64 bit version of windows? OEM or Retail?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
This means that you at least partially installed the Boot Camp 3.x drivers. They include a read-only driver for HFS+ partitions.

Deep breaths. Relax.

Can you tell us how you installed the drivers? It doesn't seem like you got the right things. Did you use only the gray OS X install disc that came with your Mac?

Try this since you installed 64 bit. Insert the OS X Install disc that came with your MacBook Pro. Browse the disc to find a file called BootCamp64.msi. Double click to install that. Reboot. Run Apple Software Update. Install any suggested updates. Reboot.

If things still aren't working we can try to delve into it more.

The keyboard backlight is a known issue. There is a third party driver that allows you to get more control over it if it really bothers you that much. http://www.powerplan7.com/features_macbook.htm

B

sup3r1or

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Manchester, UK
Yes I have used only Retail OSX 10.6.3 Install DVD, and got windows both versions 32 and 64, however I know if you have 32 then it will not utilize full amount of memory.

Anyway I have tried it this way, first i opened disc and navigated to Bootcamp folder and clicked on Setup.exe so then I came to the conclusion I told you about.

Later in the evening I re-installed windows and tried other way around I found the file Bootcamp64.msi and installed it and result was exactly the same. SM bus and Coprocessor is not installed along with GPU driver.

Also tried installing it separately, one by one Nvidia Graphic driver quits straight after starting saying I do no have any previous drivers indicating that I have following hardware. Setup will now exit. This is what it says "Nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit."

Sm bus I tried update driver navigating into folder Nvidia 64 bit Chipset driver then SM Bus but it still refuses to install it saying it cant find anything.

May be my copy of windows is crap? But I doubt it.

Forgot to mention something, i tried apple update after that, but it only suggest me to install rubbish like Safari, iTunes 10 and QuickTime.

-------ADDITION-----

I also remembered that the OSX Install Disc that I have I got from BitTTorrent, its Retail 10.6.3 but not sure if that will make any difference, my replacement disc from apple is on the way for like a week already so I cant just wait for it to come. Could it be that the disc I have ATM has drivers for other mac?

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
If you don't install on a freshly setup (previously formated) Windows then you should make sure that all temporary files are deleted (use Windows Cleanup tool or delete the Temp folder contents manually).

Using the DVD that came with your Mac is the best starting point for installing Bootcamp. That is because each Mac model gets its own set of Bootcamp drivers that may be more up to date than what you can download.

The NVidia 320/330 drivers are one example of a very specific driver that can only be installed from the original disc at the moment, because even NVidia does not publish drivers for these yet (you may try editing the INF file though or just have a look at http://www.laptopvideo2go.com).

Right after installing the DVD drivers you need to run Apple Update, because most DVDs come with version 3.0 while the update installs 3.1. You *cannot* install 3.1 from the Internet right away, because it first needs the 3.0 drivers to be installed in order to install correctly.

The Keyboard backlight problem is a driver bug that Apple likely is never gonna fix because they don't care about Windows anyway (other than advertising that you can run it on Mac hardware if you must).

sup3r1or

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Manchester, UK
Timur

I'm always making a fresh install of Windows. The bootcamp I had on my leopard DVD was 3.1 so there were no more updates in Apple Update (only offers to install Safari, Itunes etc). All the drivers are installing ok, but during nvidia install it just disappears quickly. Later on I go to device manager and see that it says Standard VGA adaptor.

Coprocessor and SM BUS are with questions sign, missing drivers. Tried installing it manually from the folder but no luck.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Sounds like a case for Apple Support then (or maybe even better an Apple Store if there is any in the neighborhood). Make Apple install those stupid drivers for you. ;)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Timur

I'm always making a fresh install of Windows. The bootcamp I had on my leopard DVD was 3.1 so there were no more updates in Apple Update

You need to use the install DVD that was included with your computer. It has a newer version of Bootcamp drivers than anything else. Once you've installed Windows, put the original install disc in and you will be all set once you run that installer.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You need to use the install DVD that was included with your computer.

Sounds like a case for Apple Support then (or maybe even better an Apple Store if there is any in the neighborhood). Make Apple install those stupid drivers for you. ;)

sup3r1or already knows that, but is impatient.

my replacement disc from apple is on the way for like a week already so I cant just wait for it to come.

B

rajveer86

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
Sorry to resurrect a month-old thread, but I'm having exactly the same issues (mid-2010 Macbook Pro 13", using retail 10.6.3 dvd, with GPU, Coprocessor and SM Bus not being installed). Did using the actual dvd that came with the Macbook (or in your case, the disc that Apple replaced) provide the drivers that were missing?

The reason I cannot use the disc that actually came with the laptop is that it belongs to the company, and getting stuff from the tech department is hard enough without trying to find a disc that they probably threw away :rolleyes:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The reason I cannot use the disc that actually came with the laptop is that it belongs to the company, and getting stuff from the tech department is hard enough without trying to find a disc that they probably threw away :rolleyes:

IMHO. If the laptop belongs to the company you should not be trying to install anything, especially not Boot Camp without their support and knowledge.

Can you take it to an Apple Store or something like that?

B

rajveer86

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
I have permission from the project manager and team lead; we need a Windows partition for internal website compatibility, and for some graphic-intensive applications (which is why I'm not just running a VM).

Are the Apple store likely to setup bootcamp with the correct drivers if i ask them to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.