PDA

View Full Version : Powermac RAM question

supersize
Dec 15, 2004, 12:54 AM
Hello all, I just got a Dual 1.8ghz Powermac G5 after having my G5 Imac completely die on me. Now I have a 1gb ram chip that I added to the Imac just sitting around. I know that it will work in the Powermac (it is a Samsung DDR 3200 400mhz chip) My guestion is do I need to pair this with another Samsung chip or will any matching ship work. Will it hurt anything to mix manufacturers? I've found some other brands on newegg and other sites for much less and would like to save some money.

Thanks

simie
Dec 15, 2004, 12:30 PM
Your G5 must have a matching pair of DDR ram.

One stick of ram on its own is of no use to you.

Get another stick matching it identically, right down to it being made by Samsungand being 400Mhz

This will ensure that you do not have any issuse of stability with your G5.

:cool:

pncc
Dec 15, 2004, 02:14 PM
Your G5 must have a matching pair of DDR ram.

One stick of ram on its own is of no use to you.

Get another stick matching it identically, right down to it being made by Samsungand being 400Mhz

This will ensure that you do not have any issuse of stability with your G5.

simie is right on the money. Bad RAM is the #1 problem on Macs.

You will waste your money by saving a few bucks on cut rate RAM. I buy all my RAM from Crucial.com

cmvsm
Dec 15, 2004, 09:56 PM
You may save 20 or 30 bucks on memory buying the back yard brands, but you'll spend twice that in aggravation when your Mac upchucks the RAM and takes a crap on you. Its even been said that bad RAM can also damage the memory slots. Get Crucial or nothing!!

supersize
Dec 15, 2004, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the advise everyone but should I really switch to crucial ram when Samsung is the brand that is already in the computer, and that is what I already have (well half of it anyway)?

Sun Baked
Dec 15, 2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all the advise everyone but should I really switch to crucial ram when Samsung is the brand that is already in the computer, and that is what I already have (well half of it anyway)?Actually, you don't know which RAM vendor you'll get -- since Apple buys from a variety of RAM vendors.

But the PowerMacs do need memory added in pairs, and you'll have to get another matching stick of RAM -- which may not always be easy.

G5support.com
Dec 17, 2004, 01:20 AM
How To Determine Your Memory Needs >> (http://g5support.com/group/viewtopic.php?t=1414)