PDA

View Full Version : iMac upgrade possibilities?

mrpepsi
Dec 15, 2004, 09:58 AM
I've been lurking about macrumors for 2 years now, and I need some help. :)

I found an old slot loading iMac 350MHz G3 "Summer 2000" model (so says apple-history.com). I have been using it as an iTunes jukebox, but I'd like to start using it for watching Divx files. Currently I have to re-encode them at a lower quality to get them to run smoothly. Hence, I need help.

Is it possible to upgrade my slot loading iMac by purchasing a new logicboard with a higher speed cpu? I've found several on eBay, and I was wondering if I could simply swap logicboards. I've not worked with any other "older" iMac. When I began using Mac's at work, the CRT iMac was just too outdated.

I've seen companies that will take my logicboard and put a G4 on it, but really I just want to play a Divx movie without re-encoding...and I need to do this as cheaply as possible. I'm not using it for rendering or anything super-intensive... My ideal upgrade would to replace it with a 500 or 600MHz equipped logicboard.

Visually (in pictures, not seen them first hand) the boards look similar, but I'm hesitant to drop the money for it and end up with an expensive paperweight. Has anyone tried this, or does anyone know if it is even possible?