PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch refund policies question

JeveStobs
Sep 11, 2010, 05:39 AM
I got an ipod touch today so i'm still within the return period but I got an 8gb model and was pissed off when it ended up really only having 6.5gb, I've only taken it out of the box and synced it, it has no scratches and no engravings, am I eligible for a refund? Because if I am i'm going to get the money for a 32gb model.

old-wiz
Sep 11, 2010, 08:28 AM
If opened it can be returned within 14 days but there will be a 10% restocking fee.

A little research would have shown that just because it says it's an 8gb phone doesn't mean it has 8gb free memory after you load the software. I have an 8gb iPod Touch and it had about 7 gb out of the box. this is perfectly normal and expected. If you buy a 32gb model, it will probably have about 30.5 gb available after you turn it on.

samven582
Sep 11, 2010, 08:32 AM
If opened it can be returned within 14 days but there will be a 10% restocking fee.

A little research would have shown that just because it says it's an 8gb phone doesn't mean it has 8gb free memory after you load the software. I have an 8gb iPod Touch and it had about 7 gb out of the box. this is perfectly normal and expected. If you buy a 32gb model, it will probably have about 30.5 gb available after you turn it on.

actually it was 29.5 :(

JeveStobs
Sep 11, 2010, 08:52 AM
So instead of a $289 refund ill only get $260.10 back?
I guess i have to take as much as I can seeing as how 6.5gb is really hard to work with for me.

Abscissa
Sep 11, 2010, 09:15 AM
So instead of a $289 refund ill only get $260.10 back?
I guess i have to take as much as I can seeing as how 6.5gb is really hard to work with for me.

I thought you had an 8GB? whatever 10% of $229 is what you'll have to pay for the restocking fee. Then you can spend $300 on the 32GB and have the same issue (by having 29.5GB). Then you can have uneven bezel, light leak issue, draining batteries, clicking noises, etc etc.

I'm just saying I'm staying with my 3rd gen 32...

JeveStobs
Sep 11, 2010, 09:21 AM
I thought you had an 8GB? whatever 10% of $229 is what you'll have to pay for the restocking fee. Then you can spend $300 on the 32GB and have the same issue (by having 29.5GB). Then you can have uneven bezel, light leak issue, draining batteries, clicking noises, etc etc.

I'm just saying I'm staying with my 3rd gen 32...

Haha, my pricing was in Australian, but this model was defective anyway, mushy home button. So is it has been opened it gets a restocking fee but what if it was left unopen? Do you get a full refund? Just wondering...

JeveStobs
Sep 11, 2010, 09:35 AM
I wish I could reformat it, I just repackaged it perfectly, I even got the stickers on correctly without any bubbles.
I really don't want to pay the restock fee.

old-wiz
Sep 11, 2010, 10:22 AM
I wish I could reformat it, I just repackaged it perfectly, I even got the stickers on correctly without any bubbles.
I really don't want to pay the restock fee.

No one enjoys paying the restocking fee. Repackaging it and saying you never opened it is fraud.

maus
Sep 11, 2010, 10:25 AM
No one enjoys paying the restocking fee. Repackaging it and saying you never opened it is fraud.
Plus, think of the poor sucker who'd later buy it thinking it's new.

tubemonkey
Sep 11, 2010, 11:04 AM
For future reference, buy your tech toys from Costco. They have a 90-day return policy and no restocking fees.

We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones.

RayLancer
Sep 11, 2010, 11:10 AM
When dealing with memories in anything, its never exactly what they state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#Inconsistent_use_of_units

JeveStobs
Sep 12, 2010, 03:48 AM
Whoa, I told them it was opened and they still gave me a full refund.
Now for the sweet sweet 32gb

Ivan P
Sep 12, 2010, 04:04 AM
When dealing with memories in anything, its never exactly what they state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#Inconsistent_use_of_units

This.

In case people don't understand what it's saying:

Physical storage sizes are measured as 1000MB = 1GB.

Most* computer systems and software reports 1024MB = 1GB.

So when you connect a 8GB device to a computer that reports 1GB as 1024MB, it will say it's capacity is lower than 8GB. This happens with everything, not only iPods and iPhones, but external hard drives and thumb drives. On top of this, the reported space will be even lower once you take into account the operating system.

*I say 'most' because Apple changed Snow Leopard to read 1GB as 1000MB; every version of OS X beforehand, and every version of Windows, reads 1GB as 1024MB. Weirdly, iTunes in Snow Leopard still reads devices as 1024MB per 1GB, unlike the rest of the system.

JeveStobs
Sep 12, 2010, 04:11 AM
This.

In case people don't understand what it's saying:

Physical storage sizes are measured as 1000MB = 1GB.

Most* computer systems and software reports 1024MB = 1GB.

So when you connect a 8GB device to a computer that reports 1GB as 1024MB, it will say it's capacity is lower than 8GB. This happens with everything, not only iPods and iPhones, but external hard drives and thumb drives. On top of this, the reported space will be even lower once you take into account the operating system.

*I say 'most' because Apple changed Snow Leopard to read 1GB as 1000MB; every version of OS X beforehand, and every version of Windows, reads 1GB as 1024MB. Weirdly, iTunes in Snow Leopard still reads devices as 1024MB per 1GB, unlike the rest of the system.

I knew the 8gb wouldn't be 8gb, but about 7-7.5gb
But when I saw 6.5gb I was seriously ticked off.

Ivan P
Sep 12, 2010, 04:16 AM
I knew the 8gb wouldn't be 8gb, but about 7-7.5gb
But when I saw 6.5gb I was seriously ticked off.

Actually, thinking about it, that does seem ridiculously low. I remember my 1st gen 8GB touch reported 7.23GB in iTunes.

aznguyen316
Sep 12, 2010, 08:19 AM
So as to not start a new thread... what if I have light leakage on my Touch? Is that a reason for return without restocking fee?

fwoppers
Sep 12, 2010, 03:53 PM
So as to not start a new thread... what if I have light leakage on my Touch? Is that a reason for return without restocking fee?

I'm in the same position (except I also have the video clicking). I'm going back to the Apple Store, and I'm expecting that they treat this case as with any other defective merchandise case (eg. no restocking fee, just a replacement).