Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tenhead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
california
My aunt wanted to get a macBook. So I took her to an Apple store and I used my old student ID (I'm not a student anymore) to get some discount on the macBook. The guy there looked at my student ID and also wrote my driver license number into his little handheld. Are they going to check if I'm still a student? I don't remember them taking my driver license number when I bought my MBP in 2008. Just wondering what they're doing with my driver license number?

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I don't think they can do anything once you've bought it and it's in your possession. I don't think there's any reason he took your driver's license info other than if you paid by a check or if he's stealing your identity!

Archman!

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
Georgia
Apple reserves the right to audit anybody who buys a product under the educational price. In other words if they decide to check on your "student" status and find you were not a student they will back charge you full price and frown in your general direction.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
You're safe. The driver's license just restricts you to two purchases this year. My Apple Store is making me login to my current schedule on a store computer.

tenhead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
california
You're safe. The driver's license just restricts you to two purchases this year. My Apple Store is making me login to my current schedule on a store computer.

Wow, lucky the dude didn't make me log in to show current schedule in store.

tenhead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
california
I don't think they can do anything once you've bought it and it's in your possession. I don't think there's any reason he took your driver's license info other than if you paid by a check or if he's stealing your identity!

Well, I didn't pay by check. Actually my aunt was the one who pay with her card. I just took her there and used my old student ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.