PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Battery

Claudia
Dec 15, 2004, 03:03 PM
hello you guys!

Its Claudia, yet again asking a question about her battery. This time it doesn't seem like my battery is fully charging itself however it does reach 99% but it won't go any higher. I've had the iBook G4 plugged in for two days straight (with very little usage on one of those days) but it won't go above 99%. I was curious if this is a problem at all?

Before i would plug it in to charge the next time i'd open it up the battery odisplay would say "charged" and for some reason that is not happening now. I was just wondering if i should be concerned. I've only had this iBook G4 for a few weeks and have calibrated the baterry a few times as well.

Thank you so much for your help.

Claudia

P.S

i am glad i have found this community everyone has been so nice to me. i'm used to being a newbie and getting flamed :o)

iGary
Dec 15, 2004, 03:30 PM
Mine too, occasionally I'll see 100%

Mord
Dec 15, 2004, 03:50 PM
it's normal.

my battery was used twice a day (depleted and charged) for two years and now it holds two hours of charge (full brightness with airport) which is pretty decent, i just got a new battery today from the london apple store and it's charging up now (had to deplete it to calibrate) i'll report back to day weather it get's to 100% or not (96% now) and how long it says it will last.

maya
Dec 15, 2004, 04:11 PM
hello you guys!

Its Claudia, yet again asking a question about her battery. This time it doesn't seem like my battery is fully charging itself however it does reach 99% but it won't go any higher. I've had the iBook G4 plugged in for two days straight (with very little usage on one of those days) but it won't go above 99%. I was curious if this is a problem at all?

Before i would plug it in to charge the next time i'd open it up the battery odisplay would say "charged" and for some reason that is not happening now. I was just wondering if i should be concerned. I've only had this iBook G4 for a few weeks and have calibrated the baterry a few times as well.

Thank you so much for your help.

Claudia

P.S

i am glad i have found this community everyone has been so nice to me. i'm used to being a newbie and getting flamed :o)

It's NORMAL, nothing to worry about usually a 99% charge means it is a full charge the iPod does the same thing. Do not be concerned about it unless the charge is 96% if it's been a year or 2 with a 80% charge its also normal depending on how often you are mobile. :)

mkrishnan
Dec 15, 2004, 04:18 PM
LOL, Claudia, you are a super-high-maintenance battery user! :p That's okay, we love people like you in mac land. ;) Are you back to getting five hours or still in the fours? I hardly ever get more than five on mine. :(

Check out this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=60447&highlight=battery+grep

Just as an aside. The command listed there will give you much more detailed info on what you're battery's doing than the meter on the menu bar.

EDIT: Mmmm...wait, what do you mean about the battery meter saying charged? When the battery is done charging, the icon should change from the charging icon to the "operating on wall plug power" icon. And if you click, it should say "fully charged" or something like that, instead of x:xx till charged or whatever it says (I forget exactly). At this point the battery meter will typically be at 98-100%, but not necessarily 100%. But I don't get a popup or anything that says "Your battery is fully charged," like the popup I get when it's almost empty.

urban1985_
Dec 16, 2004, 08:09 AM
Yup I posted about this situation too. It's normal for it to show anywhere from 98-100% even when fully charged. I think it's so the battery doesn't overcharge.

CoolGirlMpk
Dec 24, 2004, 02:42 PM
Yup I posted about this situation too. It's normal for it to show anywhere from 98-100% even when fully charged. I think it's so the battery doesn't overcharge.

Ack! My battery has been at 95% and has stayed that way all day today, and it's been plugged in! I dont know what to do, but it is distressing me :-(

(iBook G4, 12' Screen, bought last January, new battery put in about 6 or so months ago)

mkrishnan
Dec 24, 2004, 03:15 PM
Ack! My battery has been at 95% and has stayed that way all day today, and it's been plugged in! I dont know what to do, but it is distressing me :-(

(iBook G4, 12' Screen, bought last January, new battery put in about 6 or so months ago)

There's a thread somewhere in here that explains this in more details, but I'm lazy and just surfing until a package from French Connection comes AirEx, so I can go to see my parents. But the brief version:

The way I understand it, when your computer is plugged in, the battery is not actually hooked into the charging circuit unless the charge level is lower than 95%. The power from the wall bypasses the battery and goes straight to the computer. The battery slowly discharges naturally -- i.e. conduction through the air -- until it drops below 95% and then re-charges. It isn't anything to worry about. If it really bothers you, unplug it and let it run off the battery. It's good to use it that way once in a while, anyway.

But nothing to worry about. :) But your Mac loves you for being obsessive over it. :D

Now where are that zipper sweater and my loafers??? :p