PDA

View Full Version : imac to help emac?

Kareshnaka
Sep 11, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hey, my mom found an imac at the grocery store and I hooked it up but i noticed it has no ram.I also have an emac that has linux on it (terminal) and i was wondering if i can use the imac's hard drive on the emac.I don't want to open it up right now so i am asking if it would work. as far as i know, the emac has a 2.5 inch hard drive and the imac has 3.5.

spinnerlys
Sep 11, 2010, 02:59 PM
The eMac uses a 3.5" HDD like the iMac, but depending on what OS version is on the iMac's HDD, you might not be able to boot from it while it is inside the eMac.

www.ifixit.com has some guides that might be able to help you.

MacForScience
Sep 12, 2010, 12:04 AM
Hey, my mom found an imac at the grocery store and I hooked it up but i noticed it has no ram.I also have an emac that has linux on it (terminal) and i was wondering if i can use the imac's hard drive on the emac.I don't want to open it up right now so i am asking if it would work. as far as i know, the emac has a 2.5 inch hard drive and the imac has 3.5.

What model of iMac is it? G4, G3 does it have FireWire etc.?

The big issue is that the emac should be UltraATA 100 or UltraATA 66 depending on the model of iMac this could be an issue for example if it were an iMac G5.

Cheers

Paulywauly
Sep 12, 2010, 09:48 AM
Your mam found an old iMac at the grocery store?! How random!? Hehe

raysfan81
Sep 12, 2010, 11:55 AM
If you could do that it would be dependent on what model eMac it is and what model iMac it is, like someone said above.