Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelped

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I ordered the Phantom Skinz Matte fully body kit a couple weeks ago. Shipping was very quick. I've installed the back; not sure yet if I'll do the front and sides. Application was difficult for me, but it was my first time installing a phone skin. Maybe I didn't use enough Johnson's Baby Wash in the solution.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way it looks and feels, although I was initially disappointed with the cut of the skin.

The skin is not cut perfectly. In order to line up the camera cut-out properly, I had to apply the skin slightly off-center to the right, leaving the top, left and bottom edges slightly exposed. Approximately .75mm of the bottom edge is exposed, and maybe .3-.5mm of the top and left edges. This is noticeable from certain angles and lighting conditions, especially since the skin is matte and the phone is glossy/shiny. You can see this in the last pic below.

I was disappointed at first, but I think i've gotten used to it. I really like the look and feel of a matte iPhone, even if it doesn't fit perfectly. Pretty unique, I think. I try not to look at the edges. Maybe it's only noticeable if you look for it.

Anyway, here are some pictures, taken with another iPhone 4:

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I love mine :) You can stretch it out a bit when you apply it to make it a perfect fit, too!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
It does fit properly. The reason why it isn't cut all the way to the edge is so it won't peel off easily from cases and daily use.

Kelped

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
It does fit properly. The reason why it isn't cut all the way to the edge is so it won't peel off easily from cases and daily use.

That makes sense. But the skin sits flush to the right side edge of the phone. If I had centered the skin (ie, moved it slightly to the left), the camera cutout would not have fitted properly. The edges of the skin would overlap the metal rings around the camera and LED flash.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Love mine too!

Just keep it away from dry, hot surfaces. It'll stick to a hot surface and peel away from the iPhone!

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
I love it too, but the Apple bumper seems to be peeling up the right side a bit.

But when it's peeling up, I throw it in my PixelSkin HD with the backing still on and it seems to flatten it back out... Go figure.

tourneur

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Amsterdam
I had one on too. The look is great though it does give the back a rubbery feel.

Unfortunately mine started to peel in one corner after a months' use. Perhaps I'm gonna use the second one but I guess it will start to peel again after some period too.

LeroyTheGreat38

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
I had one on too. The look is great though it does give the back a rubbery feel.

Unfortunately mine started to peel in one corner after a months' use. Perhaps I'm gonna use the second one but I guess it will start to peel again after some period too.

Do you have a bumper or case on it?

I really like this skin and don't really plan on getting a case or bumper and just want to know if it still peels.

Kelped

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
no, i don't use a case or bumper, and I keep my phone in my pocket

no peeling so far, but I occasionally get tiny air bubbles near the edges. i can push them out easily with my finger, and they go away without leaving a trace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.