PDA

View Full Version : The Retina Display is no match to my eyes.

whocaresit
Sep 11, 2010, 04:10 PM
I can easily see the individual pixels on the iPod touch at 12 to 15 inches away. :eek:
They're even easier to spot when moving the iPod around.

The screen surely looks super-crisp, but the "so high res, your eyes are unable to distinguish individual pixels" is just Apple's bull marketing.

Am I the only one with Special eyes?

ELBdelorean
Sep 11, 2010, 04:14 PM
Am I the only one with Special eyes?

I would assume so. I guess they're magical.

ultio
Sep 11, 2010, 04:17 PM
I actually highly doubt it and don't believe you. I've browsed a few websites with small fonts and you could still read everything unzoomed. Holes of characters like '4' were clearly visible even though they were small as hell, there's no way you can see single pixels...

br0adband
Sep 11, 2010, 05:13 PM
Realize that even in spite of the iPod touch 4G and the iPhone 4 having the same size and physical resolution (640x960), they are not the same screens at all and in my side by side comparison, I find myself easier to distinguish the pixels on the iPod touch 4G much easier than those on the iPhone 4 from the same distance (about 8" or so). I need to get to about 4-5" before I can make out the pixels on the iPhone 4, so there's something going on.

Why Apple cheaped out and chose not to include the actual "true" Retina Display on the iPod touch 4G is beyond me... they're charging more for the damned base model so, what gives...

tactician1016
Sep 11, 2010, 06:11 PM
It's not your eyes that are special...

dave1812dave
Sep 11, 2010, 06:14 PM
Yes, you are "special", all right...the display looks awesome here, even with strong reading glasses. You might want to rent yourself out to the government for special duty.

Old Blue
Sep 11, 2010, 06:58 PM
Perhaps you have the eyes of Laura Mars

Intell
Sep 11, 2010, 07:02 PM
Why Apple cheaped out and chose not to include the actual "true" Retina Display on the iPod touch 4G is beyond me... they're charging more for the damned base model so, what gives...

That's because Apple needed to keep the overall price lower. Same reason why there is only 256Mb of ram. Don't forget how much the iPhone 4 costs with no contract, $600-$700.

fswmacguy
Sep 11, 2010, 07:13 PM
I find it hard to believe you can see individual pixels on a 326ppi screen.

There are 12 pixels per millimeter.

skiltrip
Sep 11, 2010, 07:58 PM
I don't believe you.

I've had the iPhone 4. I know the difference in the screens first hand. I know what's identical, I know what's similar, and I know what's completely different. The inability to distinguish pixels is exactly the same on the iPod screen as it was on the iPhone. It's awesome.

If you can see pixels, congratulations, maybe you have Clark Kent super vision abilities. Or maybe you are just full of it. Or maybe you are "seeing things" that may or may not be there and should probably have your eyes checked.

tablo13
Sep 11, 2010, 08:25 PM
I can easily see the individual pixels on the iPod touch at 12 to 15 inches away. :eek:

IMO, saying you can see the individual pixels at 12 to 15 inches away is BS. Are your apps retina display ready? :rolleyes: But I can actually see the individual pixels on iPod touch 2nd/3rd generation.

skiltrip
Sep 11, 2010, 09:11 PM
Even then, smart butt, what would a low res icon have to do with individual pixels?

Things would just look blurry atmost.

No, you would see 4 pixels in place of 1 Retina Display pixel, thereby equaling what you USED to see on the old touch. Thereby making you see pixels.

I can't help myself, I like feeding trolls. They can be so cute sometimes.

dukebound85
Sep 11, 2010, 09:13 PM
wow and i have a hard time distinguishing pixels on my 1st gen ipod, never mind the new ones

edit: nope i can too......if i have an all black wallpaper and one sole white pixel...bet i could see that haha

Surely
Sep 11, 2010, 09:44 PM
wow and i have a hard time distinguishing pixels on my 1st gen ipod, never mind the new ones

edit: nope i can too......if i have an all black wallpaper and one sole white pixel...bet i could see that haha

That's not what the OP is talking about. He is saying that he can distinguish individual pixels on a normal screen while holding the iPhone 12 to 15 inches away from his eyes. Hogwash.