PDA

View Full Version : Quick Handbrake question. Which setting do I choose for proper Audio Conversion?

WiiDSmoker
Sep 11, 2010, 07:19 PM
I'm in the process of converting my DVDs to AppleTV Large Format (m4v) in preparation of the new Apple TV.

I have a Pioneer receiver that does all the high end audio codecs and running 5.1, which I know DVDs can't utilize, but I want to make sure that I am choosing the correct audio codecs that will still do the best sound that the DVD can support. I don't care about file size. I simply want the best that the movie can do.

My question is. Which of these do I need to choose and possibly why? What setting should the DRC be on as well?

Source:
English (AC3) (5.1 ch)
English (AC3) Dolby Surround)
English (DTS) (5.1 ch)

Audo Codec:
AAC (faac)
AC3 Passthru

Mixdown:
Automatic
Mono
Stereo
Dolby Surround
Dolby Pro Logic II
6 Channel Discrete

Samplerate
Audo

Bitrate:

DRC:
0 - 4

Thanks so much!!!! :D

GermanSuplex
Sep 11, 2010, 10:44 PM
I only pass through 5.1 channel AC-3 Audio. So all of my movies are:

Track 1: 5.1 AC-3/AAC/Dolby Pro-Logic II/48khz/160kbps
Track 2: 5.1 AC-3/Passthrough

I don't know what the DRC setting is and have never touched it.

If there are commentary tracks, they are on tracks 3/4/5/etc. and are mixed down to AAC Dolby Pro-Logic II/48khz/160kbps, like the first audio track.

If a movie has no AC-3 surround, I only use a single AAC track, just worth it to me to pass it through.

WiiDSmoker
Sep 11, 2010, 11:17 PM
I only pass through 5.1 channel AC-3 Audio. So all of my movies are:

Track 1: 5.1 AC-3/AAC/Dolby Pro-Logic II/48khz/160kbps
Track 2: 5.1 AC-3/Passthrough

I don't know what the DRC setting is and have never touched it.

If there are commentary tracks, they are on tracks 3/4/5/etc. and are mixed down to AAC Dolby Pro-Logic II/48khz/160kbps, like the first audio track.

If a movie has no AC-3 surround, I only use a single AAC track, just worth it to me to pass it through.

Great thanks!

dynaflash
Sep 12, 2010, 12:04 AM
fwiw DRC or Dynamic Range Compression will only affect the aac track. As described AC3 is passed through unmodified.

Dynamic Range Compression in HB is explained here. http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DynRangeCompression