Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewdle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
Hey gang. I've read in a few places that there is a process to breaking in a new battery on these machines, so I wanted to know if I had the right idea, or if I am missing something. My experience is that all Li-Ion batteries need a decent first cycle in order to be broken in. In other words, charge it up, and then drain it down, and then charge it back up again, and you should be good from there on out. Is there anything else necessary to calibrate the battery which is specific to the iBook Clamshell?

Wanted to ask before I throw down the cash for a new battery. I want to get the 75 watt-hour NewerTech one which should theoretically give me battery life in the moderate netbook range. (5-7 hours). I get two and a half hours on the original cell (CoconutBattery says it's got 61% health), which I recently found out is actually as old as the laptop. :eek:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Generally speaking that procedure is all you need to do--basically give the battery routine a full discharge-charge cycle to get a bead on how much it holds. You could do discharge-charge-discharge-charge, if you want to be extra-careful, and it's not much extra work since you can use it while it's draining, other than maybe being a little cautious when it's almost empty in case the auto-sleep routine fails and it dies abruptly.

drewdle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
Generally speaking that procedure is all you need to do--basically give the battery routine a full discharge-charge cycle to get a bead on how much it holds. You could do discharge-charge-discharge-charge, if you want to be extra-careful, and it's not much extra work since you can use it while it's draining, other than maybe being a little cautious when it's almost empty in case the auto-sleep routine fails and it dies abruptly.

Thanks for the info! The cell is in the mail. It'll be awesome to run toe to toe with the new MacBooks in class, at least as far as battery life is concerned.The laptop actually causes quite a stir on campus; most people want to know where I got it or what it is, and they can't believe it's ten years old.

drewdle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
The battery has arrived! 7:51 clocked on the first discharge! I want to see another 10 year old computer that can do that. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.