PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar Copy Protection?

Pepzhez
Aug 23, 2002, 08:02 PM
There was a lot of speculation and debate about possible copy protection in Jaguar prior to its release, so can someone who has installed the final release tell us what (if any) it has?

I assume there's no product activation, ala Windows XP, as I've heard no one screaming about that here. But does Jaguar require serial number entry when you install the OS? A lot of people thought Apple would go that way with this new release.

I've always preferred to and insisted on making back-up CD-R's of all of my important OS software and apps. I once learned how necessary this is when my OS 9.0 CD one day became mysteriously unreadable in any drive. Ever since that incident, I have backup copies of everything. Except that I was quite annoyed when Apple's FCP 3 CD proved to be uncopyable. You can create and burn a disk image copy, but cannot install from the copy. Very annoying, if you are a legitimate purchaser of the software and cannot even create your own usable back-ups.

I'm kind of assuming that the Jaguar CDs incorporate the same disc protection that FCP 3 does. I'm sure all present and future Apple software CDs will. But does anyone know for sure? Have any adventurous souls tested this by trying to make a back-up of the Jaguar discs and seeing if they worked?

I really would hate to be in another situation that the original disc gets damaged, lost or otherwise unusable and I have no back-up to install when I urgently need to at 2 a.m.

And before anyone starts flaming me about "Piracy!", let me make clear that I am a legitimate purchaser of the software and have the right to create my own back-up discs for my personal use. If Apple has taken the away the option away from me to do that, doesn't this prove how such "protection" hurts the legitimate purchaser? One thing is for sure - the pirates would have no problem downloading an illicit copy of Jaguar on Carracho at 2 a.m.

So - are the Jaguar discs copyable or not? I would really like to know!

King Cobra
Aug 23, 2002, 08:28 PM
PepZ, I think you are confusing this with illegal piracy of OS X. That discussion has been brought up several times and got a ....load of various replies.

There may be a way to make a backup copy of Jaguar using a CD-RW etc. and Toast, but I am not sure exactly how to do this.

JonD
Aug 23, 2002, 08:50 PM
A quick scan through the titles and descriptions of Carracho servers would indicate that yes, the Jaguar CD's must not only copy, but re-burn, and quite obviously, install.

Pepzhez
Aug 23, 2002, 09:37 PM
King Cobra, I was in the thick of the piracy thread, and that's why I set my disclaimer here. I didn't want to get flamed on that issue all over again.

If the disc (CD-ROM or audio CD) does not feature some mysterious copy protection, it's very easy to make a back-up using Toast 5. All you have to do is insert the disc, drag the icon onto the Toast Menu and select "Save as Disc Image". I suppose Disk Copy will do the same thing. All you then have to do is mount the disc image in Toast and burn a copy. As I said, it's well known that the FCP 3 CD copied, mounted and burned just fine; it wasn't until you tried to actually use it that you discovered it would not work. I was wondering if the Jaguar discs were the same as the FCP 3 disc, that's all.

So I guess Jaguar doesn't require serial number registration when you install?