PDA

View Full Version : So 20GB of Storage... What exactly do YOU use it on?

Blazer5913
Sep 12, 2010, 02:33 PM
So right now I'm just beginning to contemplate my MM account and the pros/cons of its $100 membership. I use gmail for my mail account, but I do really enjoy the syncing ability of MM + iCal + iPhone/iPad (it keeps my life in order haha). But as far as the storage is concerned, what exactly do you guys put on the iDisk server? I have a backup of my Documents folder, but besides that, I am stumped. Pictures and Music for me are way more than 20gb, and I don't come anywhere near 20gb of email storage. So what do you guys use it for, give me some ideas! Thanks

ryan0402
Sep 12, 2010, 02:35 PM
I just put my favorite songs and pictures up and I think the website counts as storage too

tuna
Sep 12, 2010, 03:41 PM
1st of all for the love of god don't pay $100 for it, 1 year MobileMe was $47 on Amazon as of yesterday when I looked.

As to what I use the storage for: most useful thing for me is being able to share files that are too big to attach to emails. MobileMe is a relatively good way to send video and music. If I want to share an album or several albums by an artist, I'll zip them into a single file, upload to MM, and send friends email links.

Also when I was helping friends upgrade their iPhones to iOS 4 Gold Master a few weeks before it officially came out, I hosted the update file (~380MB) and the iTunes Beta version that you needed (~70MB?) in my iDisk and shared that with friends... ha I wonder if a lot of people are doing things like that and if Apple monitors that kind of thing.

steviem
Sep 12, 2010, 03:47 PM
It's too slow for my liking, so I keep next to nothing in the iDisk.

Blazer5913
Sep 13, 2010, 12:56 AM
Appreciate the responses. I guess next billing cycle I will definitely look on Amazon for a discounted MM price. I still don't think that the MM offerings justify its price, especially since I don't use the email or web hosting, but if it keeps my life in order (and I can get it for below 50 bucks a year), I guess its just another credit card payment I'll make to Mr. Jobs. This logic is happening way too often these days!

JuanGuapo
Sep 13, 2010, 09:18 AM
iDisk, Mail, Gallery, etc. I use practically everything it has. If I had to piecemeal it out, it wouldn't be nearly as integrated or elegant, and I'd lose Find my iPhone.

Ruahrc
Sep 13, 2010, 04:25 PM
Like steviem, I find iDisk pretty slow so I don't really use it for anything. I put some random junk on there (various PDFs I would like to read, Lightroom setup .dmg, etc) but don't really access any of it. If it were faster I would look into setting up some kind of cloud sync between computers, but when I tried it before it just was way too slow.

Actually I don't use much of anything else besides the inter-mac/idevice syncing. I don't have an iPhone so while it is fun to "locate" my ipod touch, it does not really have that much value. I use a different method of posting photos on the web, I do not like the interface of the MM gallery.

What justified the cost of MM for me is the back-to-my-mac stuff. It's a convenience thing for sure, as I had a system working earlier by SSH tunneling into the macs via the terminal, but it was a little clunky (had to launch the terminal and type in the commands every time). It's more convenient to get the "screen sharing" button and from what I gathered during my research, BTMM does it just as securely as the SSH method (actually a little more secure).

santaliqueur
Sep 15, 2010, 05:58 PM
It's too slow, I don't use it for anything beyond Aperture galleries. I wish there was a 2GB option for cheaper.

And yes, MobileMe isn't $100, it's whatever it costs on eBay or Amazon :) Same as Apple care for my iMac. It's not $170, it's $65!

FassoL
Sep 21, 2010, 02:42 PM
well, I use idisk for music mainly ..
I have uploaded all my itunes library to idisk (sounds crazy, I know), so I can listen to my favorite music anywhere.

if you willing to do this, I suggest that you should use Transmit, a convenient ftp client that supports idisk, to upload all your music because it's faster and if something wrong happened while you uploading, you can continue uploading later :)

Vxed
Sep 25, 2010, 08:50 AM
I would also recommend using Transmit when uploading stuff, way faster than using the Finder.

I store mostly pictures and iTunes Store purchases there. :)