Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
Hi all! I just got an iPad with an apple case and am thinking about getting a different case. My two favorites are the BookBook case and the DodoCase. I like the dodocase a lot but the shipping time is kind of a bummer. The bookbook is gorgeous but I don't love the straps that hold the iPad in place. Any thoughts/preferences?

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Bias BookBook vote.

It does the job as far as protection during transport. I've received many complements on its appearance.

Some negs would be how it's set up for landscape typing or even movie viewing. Personally, I don't care for it at all, but that's ok since I carry my TwelveSouth Compass with me as well. Separately. In my backpack.

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
If you like the DodoCase you might want to check http://www.padandquill.com for the Pad and Quill case. I ordered the BookBook but just didn't like the elastic bands and I heard several stories about the iPad falling out of the DodoCase.

I just received the Pad & Quill case and it is much like the Dodo except it surrounds the iPad more than the Dodo and it protects it really well (it already fell out of my car with the iPad in it onto concrete and neither the iPad or the case were damaged). I'd highly recommend the Pad and Quill case if you are going the moleskin route.

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
So helpful! I had no idea the Pad and Quill case existed. It's very nice! I will continue researching!

jmor

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
NJ, USA
I agree with the above poster - not crazy about the elastic bands and dodo has issues as well. I would check out padandquill and treegloo.com also, theyre both relatively new but look good and I believe they're cheaper as well.

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
I like the treegloo, i wonder why it's so cheap???

Any experience with this case?

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I was VERY unhappy with my DodoCase.

The iPad was never held very securely in the case, and the iPad would fall out if the case was dropped, even while closed. After having been dropped the second time, the bamboo around the edges began to crack, which made it even LESS secure.

If you're going by looks, it's a good case. But if you're wanting actual protection, look elsewhere.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I have the Pad & Quill for my iPhone and I have to say the quality is fantastic. Their customer service left a little something to be desired, however.

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
No experience as they're relatively new, but I have been in contact with them and they have very quick response and seem good.

Good to know. I really like the cases, and I like the price even better. I can't imagine spending $70 plus for a case for this thing!

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Thanks for the treegloo mention, didn't know about them previously. Gotta love how unique you can make your case:)

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Now that I have a few very important ebooks for class I was hoping for some suggestions in this category as well.

Some classrooms have very small desks, only enough for a notebook so I may need to keep the iPad on my lap and write on the desk portion.

Do any of these cases fold flat with the cover on the back of the case?

Think spiral notebook where you fold the cover around to the back. I feel this is sort of a requirement for a case.

I'm not impressed with the stuff I've been hearing about the Dodo. But I do like the idea of the BookBook (pricey as heck though). But any suggestions otherwise for other cases that would do this?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Now that I have a few very important ebooks for class I was hoping for some suggestions in this category as well.

Some classrooms have very small desks, only enough for a notebook so I may need to keep the iPad on my lap and write on the desk portion.

Do any of these cases fold flat with the cover on the back of the case?

Think spiral notebook where you fold the cover around to the back. I feel this is sort of a requirement for a case.

I'm not impressed with the stuff I've been hearing about the Dodo. But I do like the idea of the BookBook (pricey as heck though). But any suggestions otherwise for other cases that would do this?

I also like a case that folds back flat. Of course the Apple case is good for this. However, I also have some other cases--one you might consider that has a very nice feel (and folds back flat) is the Noreve Tradition:
Noreve Tradition Link
(No affiliation, just like the case)
I also have a Dodocase and like the retro look a lot. However, it is not the best for folding back the cover, and also if you are going in and out of a messenger bag a lot, I find it just a little more slippery than a leather covered case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.