Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Ive been trying MM for a couple of days now and I have to say (for what I would use it for - photo sharing) it really is awful. I would have thought Apple would have sorted this thing out by now but obviously not.

Ive been trying on my PC and a macbook using IE, Mozzilla, Chrome and Safari to simply upload a bunch of photos to my MM Photo Gallery. Something I would have thought was a simple process, given the likes of Imageshack etc doing it for years.

2.5 minutes to upload ONE 1.9mb photo?

2 Photos uploaded and the upload connection fails and quits the process. Every time.

Ive tried it with my Macbook wirelessly and wired, thinking it may be a "pc" thing, but no, exactly the same. I have 71 photos to upload and quite frankly this is going to take me all night....

Truly awful.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
I don't like MM either, but this sounds like more of a characteristic of your ISP/service plan than MM.

Its not normal to be this slow then? My upload speed isnt normally brilliant (10meg DL, 768KB UL) but it would take Imageshack about 5 minutes to upload 20 of these photos...

EDIT: Tried rebooting modem, router and pc and normal browsing speed (ie FAST) and upload speed (same pictures to imageshack takes 5th of the time) resumes until I start upload using MM then everything net related grinds to a snail pace. the upload itself keeps popping up a message (see image) every 2 photos or so interrupting the process so I cant even let it run overnight.

My uploading speed of pictures isn't an issue here after testing, its a problem with this broken MM program.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Well after being on Apple support chat for 10 minutes Ive downloaded Safari and its MUCH quicker to upload, although i still get that error about every 8 photos requiring me to still be sat at my pc while it UL's...

Other things Ive noticed thru the chat -

On Firefox, IE and Chrome no matter how many pics I select to UL, it only tries to UL 5, on Safari it does however many ive selected.

On Macbook, thru Safari, it crashes with some Flash error when I try to upload, it is also painfully slow, although macbook is connected via wifi.

On the few ive tried it seems to UL via iPhoto fairly quickly with no errors, so far.

Bit of a bitch for pc users then really, despite claiming pc compatiblity the only way i can seemingly let a bunch of photos UL overnight is via iPhoto on the macbook.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Don't sites like Imageshack, etc, significantly downsize the pictures (on the fly) before uploading them?

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Don't sites like Imageshack, etc, significantly downsize the pictures (on the fly) before uploading them?

There is an option to downsize, but I never use that option. If you click on my thumbnail in the post above for example, you will goto the imageshack site, then click on the large photo and it takes you to the full size pic. Sites like Facebook always downsize (heavily) but not imageshack, unless you select the option.

If you're only using MobileMe for photos then I suggest you use SmugMug instead. It's made for photo hosting, has a great batch uploader (several ways to do so) and costs a lot less per year.

Im trying out a few parts of MM (syncing iphone contacts and calendar) but mostly interested in uploading and sharing photo galleries and FindMyiPhone / Mac functionality. the findmyiphone element at least seems to work well, but im not sure if its enough to keep me subscribing beyond this year.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
MM has been super fast for me over the past few years. On 30Mbps cable with 2Mbps upstream (ala Charter) I'm averaging 278Kbps on uploads, and peaks at 3.5Mbps on downstream (avg. 2.5-3Mbps on most days).

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
There is something about the iDisk impelementation that makes it very slow to upload certain files. I get better speeds uploading to a third party FTP than I do to iDisk, on the same internet connection. Also there seems to be a huge amount of overhead with copying each file, i.e. if you copy 1,000 1kb text files into a folder, it takes forever, even though the total amount of data transferred is very small.

This is people's main complaint with iDisk, whereas other solutions like Amazon S3 or dropbox don't seem to have these problems and run more or less bottlenecked by your upload speed. Again I'm not sure exactly why, but it seems to be something specific to Apple's implementation of iDisk vs. other file storage services.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
On the few ive tried it seems to UL via iPhoto fairly quickly with no errors, so far.

Bit of a bitch for pc users then really, despite claiming pc compatiblity the only way i can seemingly let a bunch of photos UL overnight is via iPhoto on the macbook.
So... where is the problem? If you keep your photos in iphoto, uploading to MobileMe is a one-click process.

I tried uploading from the web interface and had no problems-if anything it was quicker in safari than directly from iphoto.

Can't speak about pc compatibility for uploading photos but whenever ice been forced to use a pc to access me.com I have had no problems.

My conclusion = MobileMe does not suck.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
So... where is the problem? If you keep your photos in iphoto, uploading to MobileMe is a one-click process.

I tried uploading from the web interface and had no problems-if anything it was quicker in safari than directly from iphoto.

Can't speak about pc compatibility for uploading photos but whenever ice been forced to use a pc to access me.com I have had no problems.

My conclusion = MobileMe does not suck.

So you have no issues = noone else does?

The problem lies from the fact I dont want to use the macbook to upload photos, I want to use the pc, and it is a pain achingly inconsistent and fairly laborious process to do so.

When im using free upload sites to share pics instead of a paid for service there is an issue.

So your conclusion is wrong, it really does suck.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
you should qualify your statement and say the MM sucks at photo hosting. with that, i can party agree with you. i've seen worse, but there are also bunch of better alternatives. i personally use someone else for photo hosting.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
yea, beside my mobileme wont even login today. Obviously its in keychain, and its been fine for months, and today... and another day a couple weeks back. They shouldnt have downed servers once we spend $100 for this service for a year. It keeps going crazy by syncing my safari bookmarks and everything.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
i'd second the smugmug recommendation. its excellent.

I was thinking of getting mobile me when i buy my new mac. i'd use it just for the sync capabilites between all my macs and iphone. Is it ok for this purpose ?

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i'd second the smugmug recommendation. its excellent.

I was thinking of getting mobile me when i buy my new mac. i'd use it just for the sync capabilites between all my macs and iphone. Is it ok for this purpose ?

the syncing feature is great, although you will occasionally find that it doesn't push the info immediately. it is way easier than trying to manually sync multiple devices from multiple locations.

the find my iphone is invaluable. this is almost worth the cost in and of itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.