PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4 hangs on Grey Startup, then shuts down

tsice19
Sep 12, 2010, 04:08 PM
My iMac will chime, then hang on the grey apple screen with the spinning gear. After a few minutes, it shuts off.

Tried resetting Pram and all... Did not work.

I troubleshooted using another website, and found it to be an I/O Error. The issue is I need to reinstall the OS, however, when I boot the install CD it hangs the minute I click the mouse or keyboard.

Not sure how to fix this, any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

MacForScience
Sep 13, 2010, 12:25 AM
My iMac will chime, then hang on the grey apple screen with the spinning gear. After a few minutes, it shuts off.

Tried resetting Pram and all... Did not work.

I troubleshooted using another website, and found it to be an I/O Error. The issue is I need to reinstall the OS, however, when I boot the install CD it hangs the minute I click the mouse or keyboard.

Not sure how to fix this, any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you tired plugging the keyboard into a different port? Are there any extra chimes at startup? Its possible that your USB may be going bad. You can also try a different keyboard. (Are you using a non-standard keyboard?)

Could you be more specific what you found out about the I/O error?

Also post more details on the mac model, when the issue started etc. you know standard troubleshooting information.

Cheers

tsice19
Sep 13, 2010, 05:46 AM
Have you tired plugging the keyboard into a different port? Are there any extra chimes at startup? Its possible that your USB may be going bad. You can also try a different keyboard. (Are you using a non-standard keyboard?)

Could you be more specific what you found out about the I/O error?

Also post more details on the mac model, when the issue started etc. you know standard troubleshooting information.

Cheers

There is just one chime at startup, and I think the error was related to the hard drive. However, I will try a different keyboard and mouse this afternoon when I get home.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

MacHamster68
Sep 13, 2010, 07:28 AM
What iMac is it ? G3, G4 or G5

bizzle
Sep 13, 2010, 11:02 AM
Bad hard drive.

tsice19
Sep 13, 2010, 02:09 PM
It is a G4 800 with 1gb RAM.

Is there no way to reformat the hard drive without using the install CD?

mr.steevo
Sep 13, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hi,

Did you try a Safe Boot? Hold Shift Key when powering on.

Also, did you see this?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2570

s.

kbfr08
Sep 13, 2010, 06:12 PM
I had this problem before, it was a problem with USB. I fixed it by holding down a bunch of keys on a USB keyboard while starting. I don't know why it worked, but I was desperate ;)

drewdle
Sep 14, 2010, 11:18 AM
This might be of help:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1010242

It's another post on the forum, but it has instructions on how to wipe your hard-drive with a Ubuntu install disc. You will need, specifically, the PPC alternate install disc, as it's the only one that will boot the machine (I've tried). Issue the command, and that should wipe it clean.

Of course, you're still without OS X unless you can procure a disc.