PDA

View Full Version : will idvd burn to external drive on the mini?

Starjumper7
Sep 12, 2010, 04:40 PM
Hi, my optical drive on my mini is making bad noises and not working so I would like to know if I can get an external firewire dvd burner that will be recognized by and work with idvd and imovie on my mini.

I think if it will I'll just remove the internal dvd burner and leave it out ... if that can work.

mangrove
Sep 12, 2010, 05:58 PM
If you go to the trouble of taking out the SD, why to use the opportunity to put a second drive in that slot with an OBHC.

You know a Genius at my Apple store told me about a drive like you want that will even do backups via its dual sided capabilities, but I paid no mind since I already had an MBA SD for USB use which for me is seldom to none.

It exists, but don't know if it's FW.

speedwaygirl
Sep 12, 2010, 06:10 PM
It's not Firewire, but I'm using an external USB Lacie drive with my 2010 Mac Mini. I haven't used iDVD or iMovie with it, but I watch DVD's on it and use it with Toast all the time. It bounces back and forth between the Mini and the MacBook.

I have a loathing of slot drives since I used to work for a magazine and we all had early iMac G5's. Photographers wouldn't format their discs right. Hated getting discs stuck in the slot loader! What a pain to get them out.

I just find it so much easier to have the disc drive with drawer instead, and the Lacie has served me well. They probably have a Firewire drive, too, but no Firewire port on the 2008 MacBook.

Good luck!