PDA

View Full Version : How long does your MP take to boot?

strausd
Sep 12, 2010, 05:29 PM
So far I love my 2010 Mac Pro. But I was up in the Mac lab the other day at my school and noticed how quickly the chime started. Whenever I start up my MP, it takes about 17-18 seconds for the chime to start. I have OS X to boot from an OWC SSD in the second optical bay and have selected it as my startup disk multiple times. Is this normal? The 2008 Mac Pros at school with the stock HD chimed in about 3-5 seconds or so.

Could this be happening because it is in the second optical bay? Could it be because I have my home folder on a 7200 rpm mechanical drive? Anyone know?

Thanks!

tbartoncv
Sep 12, 2010, 06:22 PM
Doesn't matter to me, I rarely reboot it.

Whaditis
Sep 12, 2010, 06:26 PM
2009 octo 2.26 mac pro 6gb ram with OCZ Colossus 120gb SSD takes 14 secs to boot.

alphaod
Sep 12, 2010, 06:33 PM
Maybe 3 minutes?

strausd
Sep 12, 2010, 06:33 PM
2009 octo 2.26 mac pro 6gb ram with OCZ Colossus 120gb SSD takes 14 secs to boot.

Is that how long it takes for the chime to go off or is that from the second you press the button? And is the SSD in a HD bay or optical bay?

cutterman
Sep 12, 2010, 07:30 PM
I had to troubleshoot a bad memory stick recently, and noticed that with more memory, the longer the delay before the chime starts.

So this delay must reflect a power-on memory test.

strausd
Sep 12, 2010, 08:29 PM
I had to troubleshoot a bad memory stick recently, and noticed that with more memory, the longer the delay before the chime starts.

That's very interesting. Right now I have four 4GB sticks and 4 1GB sticks so all DIMMs are full. Can anyone confirm this is the problem?

cutterman
Sep 12, 2010, 08:33 PM
I don't think it is a problem- just normal operation. The logical conclusion is the more ram you have the longer the power on memory scan.

alphaod
Sep 12, 2010, 09:21 PM
That's very interesting. Right now I have four 4GB sticks and 4 1GB sticks so all DIMMs are full. Can anyone confirm this is the problem?

I don't think it's really a problem… per say ;)

I also don't shut my computer off that much if at all, but yes removing memory did decrease my boot time. Removing HDDs did as well and so did removing PCIe cards. I can't just take out addons for a fast boot.

SCSnare
Sep 13, 2010, 12:54 AM
Mine behaves the same way. It takes a good 10+ seconds before the chime sounds when I press the power button on my new 2.66 12-core. On my old 2006 Quad core, it chimed within 5 seconds usually. However, after the chime it definitely boots much faster than my old one. Of course, I have a OWC 120GB SSD as my boot drive on the 12-core, so that helps a lot. And just for reference, I have 24GB RAM (4x4GB, 4x2GB), all internal bays full with HDs, and a RocketRAID card installed.

dissolve
Sep 13, 2010, 01:16 AM
I've only got 3 2GB sticks in mine and I can certainly say it boots much quicker than 17-18 seconds until chime. I've got an SSD in the 2nd drive bay now, but I had it in the optical bay for a few days and didn't notice any longer boot times.

VirtualRain
Sep 13, 2010, 01:59 AM
The boot process can vary significantly based on the firmware and OS's need to enumerate, initialize, test, and load drivers for various components and peripherals. USB devices are particularly bad in my experience. Even the responsiveness of your router in assigning an IP address can be a factor.

chrono1081
Sep 13, 2010, 02:51 AM
As others have stated, the more hardware you have, ram hard drives, etc the longer it will take the computer to start up.

SmilesLots
Sep 13, 2010, 07:21 AM
Memory, number of hard drives and other hardware will definitely lengthen the boot time. My 1.1 Pro takes about 45 - 55 seconds from power on. But I also have several programs that are loaded at startup too. Six drives, 13 gb ram and other hardware, and sometimes external drives too.

freedom42
Sep 13, 2010, 07:49 AM
I have the clone of your machine. In fact it was shipped the same day by Apple via Texas before heading back North....

I don't have a solid state drive or massive RAM (yet) and it sits for a long time after power on before the chime plays, similar to what you document. I don't think this has anything to do with the hardware configuration.

So far I love my 2010 Mac Pro. But I was up in the Mac lab the other day at my school and noticed how quickly the chime started. Whenever I start up my MP, it takes about 17-18 seconds for the chime to start. I have OS X to boot from an OWC SSD in the second optical bay and have selected it as my startup disk multiple times. Is this normal? The 2008 Mac Pros at school with the stock HD chimed in about 3-5 seconds or so.

macbook037
Sep 13, 2010, 08:14 AM
You can customize your error ocz macbook or not :confused:

strausd
Sep 13, 2010, 08:21 AM
Later today when I get a chance I will take some RAM out and see if there is a difference to confirm it. But once it hits log in screen, everything is very fast thanks to the SSD.

Parkin Pig
Sep 13, 2010, 09:01 AM

I've just got a new 27" iMac with the SSD and 1TB HDD, and I was disappointed to see it takes longer to boot than my MacBook Pro with just an HDD. As I have 4GB memory in the MBP and 12GB in the iMac, this could explain it.

odinsride
Sep 13, 2010, 09:15 AM
My new 6 core takes about 10-15 seconds from power button to chime, after that it's very fast getting to the desktop

12gb ram, OWC SSD + 4 additional internal HDDs

Peripherals attached to system:

Apple Keyboard (USB)
Logitech Mouse (USB)
D-Link USB Hub (USB)
Sandisk CF reader (FW800)

Plugged into the USB Hub:

Canon multifunction printer
Apple Universal Dock
Transcend Card Reader

xgman
Sep 13, 2010, 11:22 AM
My 2010 Hex is at least as fast or maybe a tad faster than my 2008 to boot to the desktop, but for some odd reason it takes much longer to get to the drives choice screen if you hold the option key down at coot. Way too long. I wish I could figure out why.

666sheep
Sep 13, 2010, 11:33 AM
Delay between pressing Power btn and chime sound is POST time, like some of previous posters did mention. Since MP 2009 it's longer than in previous MP versions. There's nothing what user can do to decrease it.

degl
Sep 13, 2010, 11:44 AM
I think, all is based on accessories and programs installed, if you make a clean install the machine will boot faster, when begin install programs become slower.

strausd
Sep 13, 2010, 01:38 PM
I think, all is based on accessories and programs installed, if you make a clean install the machine will boot faster, when begin install programs become slower.

Well its just from pressing the button to chime. Once it starts reading from the SSD its crazy fast.

MacSince1985
Sep 13, 2010, 03:51 PM
Sometimes the delay is caused by looking for a startup disk. Try changing your startup disk in System preferences to another disk and back to the one you want. The pref file may have been damaged (or maybe the startup drive was never set).

666sheep
Sep 13, 2010, 05:15 PM
Sometimes the delay is caused by looking for a startup disk.

Not in this case. :)

I have OS X to boot from an OWC SSD in the second optical bay and have selected it as my startup disk multiple times.

Well its just from pressing the button to chime. Once it starts reading from the SSD its crazy fast.

strausd
Sep 13, 2010, 05:35 PM
So I was finally able to do a test. With only 2 4GB sticks in, it took 9 seconds from pushing the button to chime. With all 8 DIMMs full, it took 22 seconds. Quite a noticeable difference if you ask me. After the chime, everything was the same.

reel2reel
Sep 13, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hex; 3 x 8GB RAM; four HD's + 1 SSD

15 seconds from cold start to bong.

Mr_Ed
Sep 16, 2010, 11:12 AM
15 seconds from cold start to bong.

Sorry, but this made me laugh. Made me think of someone in a huge hurry to indulge in "alternative recreational activities." :D

reel2reel
Sep 16, 2010, 11:15 AM
Sorry, but this made me laugh. Made me think of someone in a huge hurry to indulge in "alternative recreational activities." :D

I need less of one bong and more of the other.

WardC
Sep 16, 2010, 09:51 PM
Exactly 17 seconds from the time the screen comes on to the desktop, from a restart. I have posted a short movie showing my machine restarting. It's a Mac Pro 2.93GHz Quad Core with 12GB of RAM currently, and an OWC 120GB SSD as boot disk. Here is the movie:

http://www.wardcurry.com/startup.mp4

WardC
Sep 16, 2010, 09:53 PM
So I was finally able to do a test. With only 2 4GB sticks in, it took 9 seconds from pushing the button to chime. With all 8 DIMMs full, it took 22 seconds. Quite a noticeable difference if you ask me. After the chime, everything was the same.

I have just removed one of my 4GB sticks on my Mac Pro Quad, and my machine is noticeably faster with only 12GB of RAM vs. 16GB. My Geekbench score improved 112 points running 12GB of RAM over 16GB. I currently have the highest Geekbench score for a single processor 2.93GHz Mac Pro!

If you're curious, by Geekbench score is 10434 with 12GB of RAM, 2.93GHz Quad-Core Nehalem Mac Pro.

Whaditis
Sep 20, 2010, 11:19 AM
Is that how long it takes for the chime to go off or is that from the second you press the button? And is the SSD in a HD bay or optical bay?

Hi, it is from the chime.

WardC
Sep 20, 2010, 04:16 PM
I timed mine from the moment the screen lighted up and turned grey, before the Apple appeared on the screen. Before the chime, the Mac does a automatic RAM check so it can take longer depending on how much RAM you have in your machine. It's always been this way. This RAM check is built into the Mac ROMs.

MysticColby
Sep 25, 2010, 02:03 AM
I don't think it is a problem- just normal operation. The logical conclusion is the more ram you have the longer the power on memory scan.

my question: is it the total amount of RAM, or the number of RAM chips? (1x8GB vs. 4x2GB)
I have 4x2GB and would seriously consider consolidating to 1x8GB if this were the case :P but I'd like to know before doing so.

WardC
Sep 26, 2010, 08:53 PM
my question: is it the total amount of RAM, or the number of RAM chips? (1x8GB vs. 4x2GB)
I have 4x2GB and would seriously consider consolidating to 1x8GB if this were the case :P but I'd like to know before doing so.

It's the total amount of RAM...all RAM blocks have to be checked on startup by the system and pass in order to boot. It performs this check on startup. The more RAM you have installed, the longer it takes this test to complete. On old PowerMac 9500 machines running 1.5GB of RAM (all 8 slots full and maxed out), it could take over one minute to do the RAM test on startup.

HiFiGuy528
Sep 26, 2010, 09:18 PM
My 13" MBP takes 30 sec. from Power button to fully useable.

6gb RAM

32gb SSD for OS only.

johnnymg
Sep 26, 2010, 10:51 PM

Excellent info!

That explains why my 15" 8GB MBP takes 5+ sec longer to boot than my 13" 4GB MBP. I spent a little bit of time redoing the install on the 8GB machine, all to no avail. :o. FWIW, the 13" 2010 MBP takes ~16 sec to completely boot.

cheers
JohnG

mattbatt
Sep 28, 2010, 03:17 PM
ya, well that's nothing.

This little beast chimes immediately after the power switch is turned on!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d3/Macintosh_LC_III.jpg

/ topper

Cynicalone
Sep 28, 2010, 03:22 PM
I don't bother timing it.

I have 32GB of RAM and 3 WD Caviar Blacks, so even with the Intel SSD as the boot drive it takes over a minute to get to the login screen.