Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheemish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or found a solution for it. My PPC G5 computer is currently connected to two monitors via VGA adapters, and lately when I scroll any window on either of the two screens, or resize a window, I hear a faint clicking sound through my earphones. I also hear it when I load a new web page (using either Safari or Firefox). The images seem to click faintly when they load. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, and what I can do to fix it?

I'm on Mac OS X version 10.5.8, on a Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5 with 8GB DDR SDRAM.

Thanks!

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Since nobody else has suggested anything, I'm going to guess that maybe it's a symptom of the somewhat noisy power circuitry on the G5 towers--they (and, really, most modern computers including PCs) tend to make a quiet skritching sound or something similar when the CPU load changes. It's possible that this sound is making its way onto the headphone signal as well, which would explain what you're hearing (the images loading would probably be JPEG rendering causing little processor spikes).

If you Google for disable nap mode you'll come up with a lot of suggestions to help get around the noise I'm describing (generally it involves disabling some of the low-power CPU cycling), and since they're non-destructive you might try and see if it fixes what you're hearing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.