PDA

View Full Version : low end G4 imac vs high end emac

krossfyter
Aug 23, 2002, 09:12 PM
who wins??

i was thinking about this recently. Which one is better ...why?

bousozoku
Aug 23, 2002, 10:46 PM
They're so close, I think the only answer is that the customer wins.

If you like a CRT and have the deskspace, and your desk can handle the weight, and you want some extra money for memory, get the eMac.

If you must have an LCD, don't mind paying more or saving space, and like some flashy style, buy the new iMac.

The CRT should be somewhat bigger than the 15 inch iMac but not as big as the 17 inch.

17 inch CRTs are generally between 15.8 and 16.1 inches visible space.

ibookin'
Aug 24, 2002, 02:50 AM
Something to consider is that the high-end eMac has a Superdrive and the low-end iMac doesn't.

Megaquad
Aug 24, 2002, 05:32 AM
Hi-end eMac is now 800 MHz..so,eMac should win.

arn
Aug 24, 2002, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter
who wins??

depends what you want to do with it and your needs are.

arn

mac15
Aug 24, 2002, 05:53 AM
the flat-panel is better and its saves space and I own one so thats why :D

mnkeybsness
Aug 24, 2002, 11:33 AM
because the emacs are uglier in person than they are in the pictures on the apple site...just go look at one in an apple store...ugh

DakotaGuy
Aug 24, 2002, 12:45 PM
That is a no brainer...the highend eMac is an 800MHz G4 with a Superdrive and a 60GB HD. The entry level iMac is a 700MHz G4 with a CD-RW and a 40GB HD. You get more with the eMac for the same price, a lot more. I want a new superdrive eMac, it is a great buy! The only thing I can't understand is why Apple has undercut the iMac by making the eMac the same exact line-up except for the CRT vs. the flatpanel. Maybe that is there whole plan, having two identical product lines...one with a CRT and one with a flat-panel.

and who said the CRT is dead? ;o)

krossfyter
Aug 24, 2002, 01:32 PM
alright cool. very good responses.

correct me if im wrong but no matter what the emac lacks in bus speed right?

jelloshotsrule
Aug 24, 2002, 01:40 PM
i don't think the emac is very ugly. have you seen one in person kross?? it's basically a big monitor... or a big old school imac...

and it's a pretty damn good buy for sure...

not sure about bus speeds..

mnkeybsness
Aug 24, 2002, 01:46 PM
the emac would be a lot better if it wasn't so tall...under the monitor it seems to have like 6 inches of space that just makes it ugly

Megaquad
Aug 24, 2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
alright cool. very good responses.

correct me if im wrong but no matter what the emac lacks in bus speed right?
eMac has 100 MHz bus just like iMac.

G5orbust
Aug 25, 2002, 02:32 PM
definately the emac. its go all the features and kills the low end imac.

yeah 250 posts!!!!!!

half way to my 'tar!!!!!!

Macmaniac
Aug 25, 2002, 05:46 PM
The eMac wins hands down, you get so much more with it. A superdrive, 60gb HD and a screen that is slightly larger.
I have seen one in person and it does not look that bad, a little large but attractive.
Also the eMac has better speakers then the low end iMac and it is more cost efficient;)

Chaszmyr
Aug 25, 2002, 06:17 PM
So the eMac has better specs around the board... i would still take the imac any day.

Rajj
Aug 25, 2002, 11:33 PM
I would get the iMac!! Why?
Because it is cheaper!!!

You can add more RAM and get better speakers and it will still be cheaper than the eMac!!

Besides, the superdrive is SLOW as hell anyway!!!

Rajj
Aug 25, 2002, 11:48 PM
One more thing:

Why by the eMac, if you can get the Dual 867 For $200 more???;) :p ;)

DakotaGuy
Aug 26, 2002, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by xrhajj
One more thing:

Why by the eMac, if you can get the Dual 867 For $200 more???;) :p ;)

Correct me if I am wrong, but you have to also buy a monitor for the 867 Dual, so the cost would add up to be much more then $200 more once you configure the system. I don't know about you, but I would find it real hard to use a computer without a monitor.