PDA

View Full Version : Live From the Clarendon Store

Mr. Anderson
Aug 23, 2002, 09:25 PM
Well, craziness and more people expected. No crowd control but a line about 3 blocks long was in place before the store opened.

And no one here from Mac Rumors that I know - where's jello?

They're giving away Jaguar Mouse pads and stickers, one eMac per store and corporate wide they're giving away one (1) 17" iMac.

I'm not even going to try taking pics yet, too crazy here.

D

Mr. Anderson
Aug 23, 2002, 09:38 PM
So you get a jaguar shirt if you buy it tonight and save 10% on anything else - including a new Mac. The line of people with jaguar boxes wraps around the store. Pretty damn silly.

D

dricci
Aug 23, 2002, 09:45 PM
I just went to the tyson's store, the line was wayyy too long for me.. my luck I'd wait there all night and then they'd run out of copies.

Guess I'll just have to head over to Micro Center or CompUSA tomorrow, should be less crowded.

MacAztec
Aug 23, 2002, 09:45 PM
That sounds sweet! Wish i could have gone...

Footballs a b*tch

Mr. Anderson
Aug 23, 2002, 09:48 PM
Its not all that exciting - ask me again if apple contacts me and tells me I won a computer......

MacAztec
Aug 23, 2002, 10:00 PM
Maybe if you had some friends like me :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;)

bousozoku
Aug 23, 2002, 10:20 PM
It had to be more exciting than the Altamonte Springs, FL CompUSA tonight. The Apple guy and his wife were going to drive for 1.5 hours to the Tampa Apple store. :)

I'm sure CompUSA would have been willing to raise prices by 10 percent tonight, especially since the manager hates Apple so much.

Hope you enjoy your mouse pad and stickers. Just don't use them together. :D

Capt. Obvious
Aug 23, 2002, 10:56 PM
Just got back from the Atlanta Apple Store - what a mob scene! With 30 min. remaining of the original 100, there were still about 300 people standing in line, waiting to get in.

Too bad - I could have used that 10% off on a 2x1gHz + 17"LCD - would have saved enough to get the iPod for free....

Mr. Anderson
Aug 23, 2002, 10:56 PM
It was an ok event - I'm home now, not waiting around till they close the store - it was totally packed.

And let me tell you the geek level was way higher than I ever expected.

First person in 'line' was a typical nerd, but he was sitting on the ground and working on 2 TiPB at once, please! :rolleyes: I had only a few things to say to him, discussing the Apple Stores wireless range, etc. But it was worthy of a picture, I'm sorry I didn't have a camera.

Then there was the elderly couple, in the mid to late sixties if not more. He had a portable seat while she paced up and down trying to get everyone in line. There was some semblance of a line, but the Apple people never organized it, so as the line wrapped around the road, in front of all the other stores for about 250' (yes there were quite a few people) there was a smaller, 20' line and grouping going the other way and hanging out around the door. I was part of that, getting there when there were only 20 people and no real line. So when the time gets close to openning the store, this woman is running around telling us all that we have to go get in line. Right. :rolleyes: There were people who had been there longer than she had. So she busied herself with something else and then an Apple employee came out to pass out entry forms for the free computers. Then he tried to tell us all to get in line.

I quickly told him that he should have organized a line when people started showing up and not after the groups formed. He immediately realized the crowd would not like where he was going, so he just said you can settle it all for yourselves.

The doors openned, people crushed in, and everyone got their mouse pad, and sticker. I wonder how much they're going for on ebay right now?

And I never did see blakspot - too many people - and jello was a no show, the loser. It would have been nice to get a call and let me know you weren't going to show :mad:

So, unless you really wanted to be a geek, see a bunch of very strange Mac People or get a free mouse pad (kind of ugly, too) you didn't miss much.

D

Mr. Anderson
Aug 23, 2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Capt. Obvious
Just got back from the Atlanta Apple Store - what a mob scene! With 30 min. remaining of the original 100, there were still about 300 people standing in line, waiting to get in.

Too bad - I could have used that 10% off on a 2x1gHz + 17"LCD - would have saved enough to get the iPod for free....

You could probably talk to b2tm and get a better deal, try it and see....

Capt. Obvious
Aug 23, 2002, 11:06 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but who (or what) is "b2tm"?

Durandal7
Aug 23, 2002, 11:08 PM
So, did anyone manage to get away with a copy of Jaguar? I considered heading to Aspen Grove but decided that every geek in the midwest would have convened on it.

Two tibooks at once, someone like to show off :rolleyes:

Durandal7
Aug 23, 2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Capt. Obvious
Pardon my ignorance, but who (or what) is "b2tm"?

The user Backtothemac. Check out the General Cybernetics banner.

Capt. Obvious
Aug 23, 2002, 11:11 PM
Just for giggles, where is Aspen Grove? Used to live in Boulder, and my brother (fellow Mac user) is still there.

[EDIT: thanks for the prompt response on 'b2tm'!]

Durandal7
Aug 23, 2002, 11:16 PM
Aspen Grove is in Littleton, a suburb of Denver in the southern part of the city.

vniow
Aug 24, 2002, 01:23 AM
Hey I'm at the one in Palo Alto. Haven't seen anybody from here yet, maybe I haven't looked hard enough. :)

jelloshotsrule
Aug 24, 2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
And let me tell you the geek level was way higher than I ever expected.

and jello was a no show, the loser. It would have been nice to get a call and let me know you weren't going to show :mad:

no kidding. the geeks were out of control. and the worst part.... it's like a freaking punk/hardcore show... as much as i like the reason everyone's there, i hate the people..... everyone's wearing their apple shirt (band t shirt) or other geek gear.... blah

i did show up jerkass. and i forgot to bring your number anyways...

guess you didn't recognize me....... i wasn't sure about you, which is why i didn't bother approaching you. but i did see you hanging out in the front corner on the tibook near the powermacs...

Mr. Anderson
Aug 24, 2002, 11:08 AM
so why the friggin hell didn't you come over and say something, you silly little anti-social twit? sheesh.......:rolleyes:

resm
Aug 24, 2002, 11:24 AM
They're giving away Jaguar Mouse pads and stickers,

ayohhh.....how cheap !

here in Singapore they gave away a free pro-mouse to every buyer of Jaguar.
you could even choose the colour.....black or white !

They advertised that this was only for the first 50 customers but when I arrived at about 2 pm there where still plenty available. (not because there where no buyers, the shop was full)

So now I have to figure out how to use one mouse with my right hand and the other one with my left :p

jelloshotsrule
Aug 24, 2002, 01:19 PM
so why the friggin hell didn't you come over and say something, you silly little anti-social twit? sheesh.......:rolleyes:

blah blah blah

i've said it again and again. didn't know for sure it was you
i'm not used to internet dating. sorry

Mr. Anderson
Aug 24, 2002, 01:23 PM
maybe I'm just a little more out of my shell, I did go to geekfest and meet eye and b2tm - and it worked out great. If I had seen you I would have walked up to you. You're just a bit of dissapointment, that's all.

D

jelloshotsrule
Aug 24, 2002, 01:24 PM
You're just a bit of dissapointment, that's all.

holy shizzle... because i'm not super outgoing?

that is rough.