PDA

View Full Version : New 27 inches LED cinema display V new 27 inches iMac screen.

janki
Sep 13, 2010, 03:49 PM
New 27 inches LED cinema display versus new 27 inches iMac screen.

I planed for a while to buy the 2010 iMac 27. I do a lot of quite heavy photo work on my several years old iMac. Even if I like the old machine very much, it simply not has the capacity I need anymore.
Some weeks ago I got a generous gift voucer from my family in connection with a round decade birthday. They knew I needed a new computer, and that I like the OS X, so they bougt the voucer at my lokal mac dealer.
I am definitly not a computer “nerd”, or socalled “pixelpeeper”, but I want my photowork to have a good technical quality. As far as I undersatand the 27 inches iMac screen is ment to nearly show the sRGB color space. That’s good enougth for me.
But now I am in big doubt. I have read so much negative about the iMac 27 inches screen here in this forum, so I don’t think I can buy this machine.
The yellow tint and grey band issues, makes it impossible to do serious photo work on the screen.
What causes the screen problems? Are there too many heat producing components located behind the screen, or is it simply the LED-techniqe itself that is the problem?
I planed to buy a 27 inches iMac in the upper level, but now I wonder if I rather should stretch my budget, and go for a low end 2010 PRO-Mac, and extend it step by step. Besides, all my external devices have firewire interface.
What about the new 27 inches LED cinema display for the PRO-Mac coming now in
September. Isn´t that the same screen which the 27 inches iMac uses?
Will this new screen have the same serious problems?
I am anyhow obligned to buy a kind of Mac-machine. It is sad that there are so many issues around Mac-screens these days.
Any professional photodisplay from Eizo or Nec is not an option for me just now.
In Norway where I live, we have 25% tax added to consumer articles we buy, so
everything gets pretty fast expensive.

philipma1957
Sep 13, 2010, 04:18 PM
New 27 inches LED cinema display versus new 27 inches iMac screen.

I planed for a while to buy the 2010 iMac 27. I do a lot of quite heavy photo work on my several years old iMac. Even if I like the old machine very much, it simply not has the capacity I need anymore.
Some weeks ago I got a generous gift voucer from my family in connection with a round decade birthday. They knew I needed a new computer, and that I like the OS X, so they bougt the voucer at my lokal mac dealer.
I am definitly not a computer “nerd”, or socalled “pixelpeeper”, but I want my photowork to have a good technical quality. As far as I undersatand the 27 inches iMac screen is ment to nearly show the sRGB color space. That’s good enougth for me.
But now I am in big doubt. I have read so much negative about the iMac 27 inches screen here in this forum, so I don’t think I can buy this machine.
The yellow tint and grey band issues, makes it impossible to do serious photo work on the screen.
What causes the screen problems? Are there too many heat producing components located behind the screen, or is it simply the LED-techniqe itself that is the problem?
I planed to buy a 27 inches iMac in the upper level, but now I wonder if I rather should stretch my budget, and go for a low end 2010 PRO-Mac, and extend it step by step. Besides, all my external devices have firewire interface.
What about the new 27 inches LED cinema display for the PRO-Mac coming now in
September. Isn´t that the same screen which the 27 inches iMac uses?
Will this new screen have the same serious problems?
I am anyhow obligned to buy a kind of Mac-machine. It is sad that there are so many issues around Mac-screens these days.
Any professional photodisplay from Eizo or Nec is not an option for me just now.
In Norway where I live, we have 25% tax added to consumer articles we buy, so
everything gets pretty fast expensive.

I own a 27 inch iMac. I just purchased a MacPro. Get the MacPro.

chrmjenkins
Sep 13, 2010, 04:21 PM
Many of the display issues are supposedly related to shifting of the components, whether during assembly or shipping. I don't know if Apple has been able to rectify that, but it stands to reason that the same issue would plague the 27 inch stand alone screen as well.

Not all screens have the issue and other posters you can continually exchange the imacs until you get a screen you like.

Pressure
Sep 13, 2010, 05:58 PM
My suggestion would be to buy the 27" iMac, stop reading all the whiny threads on the internet, enjoy your newly purchased hardware and glare at the impressive display which, from the sound of it, is leaps and bounds above your current solution.

Conundrum solved :D

scottsjack
Sep 13, 2010, 06:50 PM
My suggestion would be to buy the 27" iMac, stop reading all the whiny threads on the internet, enjoy your newly purchased hardware and glare at the impressive display which, from the sound of it, is leaps and bounds above your current solution.

Conundrum solved :D

That is of course if you don't mind the possibility of sending your entire computer complete with personal data somewhere just because your system has a display problem. Pass on the iMac.

jjahshik32
Sep 13, 2010, 06:52 PM
I own a 27 inch iMac. I just purchased a MacPro. Get the MacPro.

LOL, I love the simplified answer!

Pressure
Sep 14, 2010, 01:42 AM
That is of course if you don't mind the possibility of sending your entire computer complete with personal data somewhere just because your system has a display problem. Pass on the iMac.

It's somewhat funny that one would expect the computer to come with a screen defect.

You could, and this may just be me, check it before loading it up with all kinds of apparently sensitive data.

I mean, the iMac basically requires you to stick only one cable in the back to start it up, which by all means, should be something most people can comprehend.

The question that begs to be asked is if you actually own an iMac?

curvephotograph
Sep 14, 2010, 03:31 AM
I am a professional photographer and use lightroom and photoshop. I had been using one of the very last matt screen iMacs which was struggling to keep up with my workflow so decided to wait for the new pro's which went on longer than expected and the resultant new machines were a poor upgrade IMHO. After agonising over it I opted to buy the i7 iMac for its faster processor and faster ram. The actual bones of the thing is perfect for me, no spinning beach balls and everythong happens in an instant. However I ended up sending it back because the screen it simply awful and a real backward step from the old matt screen iMac.

After 2 weeks of staring at myself in shadow areas of my pictures I checking it for colour accuracy using an iOne monitor I decided it would have a negative effect on my business so bought a base mac pro and 24" monitor with 100% aRGB and haven't regretted it. I have access to controls for contrast, brightness, Red, green, and blue, with the apple only brightness is user controlable. The screen may be smaller but its way nicer to use and spot on for colour. Nearly 100% of sRGB isn't good enough really and its impossible to calibrate anyway.

The base mac pro is overpriced and should be i7 not xenon who's main benefit is multiple processors but its the best solution for my kind of work, its plenty fast enough and will fly even more when the price of larger ssd's hits the supply/demand price curve as the slowest part of the process for me is opening and saving files.

alphaod
Sep 14, 2010, 05:10 AM
Consider the Dell U2711; it's not LED backlit, but it's matte and has many connectivity options. You might be able to get a good price from Dell Outlet or eBay.

Then get a Mac Pro.

janki
Sep 14, 2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks all of you a lot for your answers. I am learning and educating myself all the time. These kinds of forums are very useful. You all touche into thoughs I been up to myself.
I am sure I`ll bee happy with the Mac solution I at last choose, with or without devices from other brands.
I agree, we shall not dig us self down into problems which perhaps not occur.
If we troubleshoot everything it is easy to loose the pleasure of actual be an owner of the stylish equipment the Mac OS-X combination actual is.
:)

spacepower7
Sep 16, 2010, 12:20 AM
For less than $300 more you can get a refurb 27" core2duo, essentially a second computer for $300. Use that as a display for a Mac Pro if you don't mind the glossy. Great for backups, server, rendering etc....