PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV looks Wack!

rneglia
Sep 13, 2010, 03:57 PM
I have a Sony Blu-Ray player that already does Netflix. I just heard that the XBox 360 does Netflix. My neighbor's TV does Netflix without a box!!

Basically, :apple:TV is only for people who don't have any sort of Netflix box.

I'll give them this though...the optical audio port was a nice touch.

;););):apple::apple::apple:

edk99
Sep 13, 2010, 04:09 PM
What is the point of your post?

rneglia
Sep 13, 2010, 04:15 PM
What is the point of your post?

My point is, the AppleTV is cheap because there are already a ton of things that do what it does.

I think Jobs missed the mark when he said "people want Hollywood movies and TV shows".

Maybe some of us want Bollywood movies and old TV shows like Mary Tyler Moore.

Maybe I want to watch something in 1080p?

Maybe I want to catch up on the stack of New Yorker Magazines in my apartment!!!

Darth.Titan
Sep 13, 2010, 04:24 PM
You apparently do not understand the purpose of the AppleTV, and judging by your tone it would be useless to try to explain it to you.

You are of course welcome to your opinion.

rneglia
Sep 13, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'd be willing to change my tone at this stage.

What's the purpose of Apple TV?

almostinsane
Sep 13, 2010, 04:28 PM
You apparently do not understand the purpose of the AppleTV, and judging by your tone it would be useless to try to explain it to you.

You are of course welcome to your opinion.

Going by past sales of the ATV, consumers can't figure out the purpose either.

CalMin
Sep 14, 2010, 09:04 AM
I'd be willing to change my tone at this stage.

What's the purpose of Apple TV?

Here you go.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

steviem
Sep 14, 2010, 09:22 AM
Maybe I want to catch up on the stack of New Yorker Magazines in my apartment!!!

The people who write for the New Yorker do not have anuses... They said it in Family Guy, thus it is true.

However, what bearing does that have to Apple TV versus your BluRay player? I have a PS3, never put a BluRay which wasn't a game disc into it, tried streaming my content to it, not so reliable and its organisation is nowhere near that of the Apple TV's.

I can't even get Netflix where I am, guess I'm wasting 99 on a useless 'wack' black box....

Imsuperjp
Sep 14, 2010, 09:28 AM
I never thought once about buying the old apple tv, and I have 3 new appletvs on pre order now. May be "whack" to you, but fits my needs perfectly

emptyCup
Sep 14, 2010, 09:39 AM
I have a Sony Blu-Ray player that already does Netflix. I just heard that the XBox 360 does Netflix. My neighbor's TV does Netflix without a box!!:

For good or ill most people are not like you. Many people, including me:

1. Don't want physical media. We already have shelves full of books or CDs or vinyl records and we don't need collections of anything else.

2. Don't want subscriptions. It's bad enough we have to deal with the mortgage and the utility bills and the phone bills. We don't want Netfilx or Hulu+ or anything else that we have to pay for forever.

3. Think anybody over the age of 16 who owns an XBox or PS3 is strange (although I know people like this). Watching Netflix or DVDs is not an inducement to buy a gaming console (see #1 and #2).

4. Don't want to rip DVDs in OGG whatis or XMBwhatever and then huddle around the computer to watch them. None of us live in a dorm room and few of us are very technical.

What we may want is something cheap that easily attaches to our TV. Something that lets us inexpensively watch stuff that we may occasionally want to watch but can't now. I realize the people you listed don't need an appleTV. Neither do people who spend $100 / month on cable.

I am not sure yet that I want one, but this comes closer to what I want than anything else so far. Best wishes.

rneglia
Sep 14, 2010, 09:45 AM
I never thought once about buying the old apple tv, and I have 3 new appletvs on pre order now. May be "whack" to you, but fits my needs perfectly

Alright, alright! I'll order one and see if it's a "game changer".

I still think a $150 Sony Blu-ray player with Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/YouTube is a better buy.

d21mike
Sep 14, 2010, 10:02 AM
I see this kind of thread all the time. Is it so hard to understand that AppleTV's main purpose is to connect to iTunes? The video content that you purchase on iTunes is encrypted so you need an Apple device to play it. If you do not purchase anything on iTunes then you have a number of choices to play your content. To me it is pretty simple. The fact that Apple has added NetFlix is an added bonus and I hope they add more. But if you have iTunes Content that will only play on Apple Devices you really have no choice. Am I missing something?

Panch0
Sep 14, 2010, 10:12 AM
I have a Sony Blu-Ray player that already does Netflix. I just heard that the XBox 360 does Netflix. My neighbor's TV does Netflix without a box!!

Basically, :apple:TV is only for people who don't have any sort of Netflix box.

I'll give them this though...the optical audio port was a nice touch.

;););):apple::apple::apple:

Netflix streaming is a really nice addition to the new AppleTV, but it's not the main point. Maybe having it allows you to get rid of another box (in my case, the PS3 is probably going away).

The point of AppleTV is streaming your iTunes content from a computer to a TV, and with the AirPlay Update streaming from iOS to the TV. IF (and it seems to be a big if) you have bought into the iTunes store as an alternate to physical discs and especially if you have ripped existing DVDs into a compatible format, the AppleTV interface is excellent for browsing and playing your media.

The iTunes store has movie rentals for usually $1 less than VOD through cable providers. Netflix streaming can be cheaper since it's all you can eat, but new releases are not available for streaming as early as they are through other services. AppleTV lets you use your exisitng library, the iTunes Store for rentals, as well as Netflix streaming; all this with a very nice and consistent interface.

aristobrat
Sep 14, 2010, 10:12 AM
I still think a $150 Sony Blu-ray player with Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/YouTube is a better buy.
Until a [Sony Blu-ray player, XBOX 360s, TVs] can provide an easy, decent solution to stream your music, movies and photos from any computer or iOS device to your TV, I think that a lot of people are going to find value in having both a Blu-ray player (that may or may not stream Netflix) *and* an Apple TV.

As someone said, it's essentially an iPod that connects to your TV that oh-by-the-way does Netflix too.

Why people focus on just the Netflix function of the Apple TV, as if it doesn't do anything else, I just don't understand.

Irishman
Sep 14, 2010, 10:27 AM
My point is, the AppleTV is cheap because there are already a ton of things that do what it does.

I think Jobs missed the mark when he said "people want Hollywood movies and TV shows".

Maybe some of us want Bollywood movies and old TV shows like Mary Tyler Moore.

Maybe I want to watch something in 1080p?

Then buy a Mac and create a HTPC

aonflux
Sep 14, 2010, 10:43 AM
Apple Tv is not going to only be for itunes and movie streaming.
Imagine streaming an app from your iPhone or iPad. Airplay is going to be huge. Gaming and apps are going to be huge. :)

sjsharks13
Sep 17, 2010, 02:29 AM

1. Don't want physical media. We already have shelves full of books or CDs or vinyl records and we don't need collections of anything else.

2. Don't want subscriptions. It's bad enough we have to deal with the mortgage and the utility bills and the phone bills. We don't want Netfilx or Hulu+ or anything else that we have to pay for forever.

3. Think anybody over the age of 16 who owns an XBox or PS3 is strange (although I know people like this). Watching Netflix or DVDs is not an inducement to buy a gaming console (see #1 and #2).

4. Don't want to rip DVDs in OGG whatis or XMBwhatever and then huddle around the computer to watch them. None of us live in a dorm room and few of us are very technical.

What we may want is something cheap that easily attaches to our TV. Something that lets us inexpensively watch stuff that we may occasionally want to watch but can't now. I realize the people you listed don't need an appleTV. Neither do people who spend $100 / month on cable.

I am not sure yet that I want one, but this comes closer to what I want than anything else so far. Best wishes.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/suriyasiero/553px-Lol_que.jpg

bruinsrme
Sep 17, 2010, 02:47 AM
I was in the camp of the new ATv is a waste, stupid and jobs is smoking something.
Then I have two friends that have tvs that do not have wireless built in
The USB adapters run about 80 bucks.
A wireless atv runs 99.
I think this is far more potential with atv than the USB LAN adapters Sony and samsung are peddling.
I am warming up to atv and I do thing it will be a good device for many people.
Keep in mind not everyone can or wants to run cables to their tvs. Atv offers a wireless solution with some unique features when coupled with an ios device. Jmho

DJinTX
Sep 17, 2010, 10:01 AM
Going by past sales of the ATV, consumers can't figure out the purpose either.

On the contrary, I think the low sales figures of the original ATV says consumers understand the purpose just fine and decided it was not for them. Obviously some disagreed and bought the machine, but I don't think anyone was confused on it's purpose, unless they were the village idoit.

It's purpose was clear, but very focused/limited, and this purpose didn;t fit a large number of users. And the new ATV may also not fit many users, but the formula has changed some. With the much better hardware, the adoption of iOS, and the possibility for apps/widgets, this could really take off. It just depends on what Apple envisions long term, which we won;t know for awhile yet. Netflix appearing on the ATV isn't a huge deal by itself, however, it signals Apple realizing that some third party content will help make it more versatile.

Should be an interesting year for ATV.:)

DJinTX
Sep 17, 2010, 10:11 AM
Alright, alright! I'll order one and see if it's a "game changer".

Just so I understand...you think the ATV is whack, and that the Sony Blu-Ray with the stated features is a better buy than the ATV, but you are going to go against your beliefs and buy an ATV anyway?

What the hell? This seems ridiculous and I'm starting to think you might be trolling for attention. You sure did change your tune quickly on this.

Batt
Sep 17, 2010, 12:48 PM
I'm going to buy two ATVs and dump both HBO and Encore in favor of NetFlix and iTunes.

BoulderBum
Sep 17, 2010, 12:53 PM
I have both a PS3 (Blu Ray) and an Apple TV.

I use Apple TV for movie rentals, TV shows, video podcasts and YouTube mostly. Apple's interface is the best of the media streamers, in my opinion, I like that it's tied to my iTunes account (and any gift cards I may receive) and it's cool to be able to control it with my iPhone and take purchased content with me instead of leaving it on TV.

The other day I was hiking with my toddler in a carrier when she tired/bored and started crying until I calmed her down by handing her an iPhone so she could watch "Princess and the Frog" on the way back to the car.

If I want to watch a movie to get the full HD experience, I'll buy the Blu Ray (because even 1080p content from the internet is too compressed to pack a similar wallop), but I often use the Apple TV for the convenience of on-demand rentals of new releases and easy navigation of my iTunes movie library.

DJinTX
Sep 17, 2010, 01:06 PM
I use Apple TV for movie rentals, TV shows, video podcasts and YouTube mostly. Apple's interface is the best of the media streamers, in my opinion, I like that it's tied to my iTunes account (and any gift cards I may receive) and it's cool to be able to control it with my iPhone and take purchased content with me instead of leaving it on TV.

I totally agree. Somehow Apple just knows how to do great UI. Meanwhile so many competing companies have no clue in this area. Some of them like Boxee and Plex are doing pretty good, but none do as well as Apple.

My only concern with the new ATV right now is storage. I'm sure we will find out that it has a 16GB (maybe 32) flash memory inside to store the OS (and eventually apps/widgets), but I'm not sure how I will adapt to the non-storage philosophy. Of course it seemed weird to get rid of floppy drives too, but that worked out pretty well. I guess it all comes down to what Apple plans to do with their billion dollar server farm in North Carolina.

jas1973
Sep 17, 2010, 01:54 PM
i will be sold if i can stream MLB At Bat to my Atv!!!!!

dukebound85
Sep 17, 2010, 01:59 PM

I am 25 and have a ps3. You have an issue with that? The fact that it does netflix is an added bonus

PS: Many people in their 20's and 30's own game systems.... probably more do than dont

Lostanddamned
Sep 17, 2010, 02:16 PM

So you dont want physical media, or to pay for them and you dont want to stream the media?

Apple TV isn't really for you I'm afraid due to being a physical device that you stream paid content to.

And a great deal of people over 16 own games consoles, its not that strange, its just how modern culture is.

Scarpad
Sep 20, 2010, 08:16 AM
I see this kind of thread all the time. Is it so hard to understand that AppleTV's main purpose is to connect to iTunes? The video content that you purchase on iTunes is encrypted so you need an Apple device to play it. If you do not purchase anything on iTunes then you have a number of choices to play your content. To me it is pretty simple. The fact that Apple has added NetFlix is an added bonus and I hope they add more. But if you have iTunes Content that will only play on Apple Devices you really have no choice. Am I missing something?

No you summed it up nicely.

I have an LG Blu Ray that will allow me to stream from a DLNA server, but it still requires me to set up Tversity to run properly, I think the average mainstream user would have difficulty with all that, but if they already have Itunes and an Ipod or Ipad, then plugging in an ATV and entering a code in Itunes is kinda pretty easy for them.

Scarpad
Sep 20, 2010, 08:18 AM

The other day I was hiking with my toddler in a carrier when she tired/bored and started crying until I calmed her down by handing her an iPhone so she could watch "Princess and the Frog" on the way back to the car.

If I want to watch a movie to get the full HD experience, I'll buy the Blu Ray (because even 1080p content from the internet is too compressed to pack a similar wallop), but I often use the Apple TV for the convenience of on-demand rentals of new releases and easy navigation of my iTunes movie library.

Plus it works great for conversions of all those TV on DVD box sets that will never be in HD

dXTC
Sep 20, 2010, 11:10 AM

The conveniences stated above cannot be understated when children are involved. I've placated my child a couple of times with some Looney Tunes shorts on my nano. I plan on picking up the new :apple:tv when it comes out, so it'll stream my child's movie library (among other things I've HandBraked) straight to the TV, eliminating the risks of DVD disk handling. I'm hoping we can reduce our satellite TV fee by switching to NetFlix, too.

BoulderBum
Sep 20, 2010, 12:08 PM
The conveniences stated above cannot be understated when children are involved. I've placated my child a couple of times with some Looney Tunes shorts on my nano. I plan on picking up the new :apple:tv when it comes out, so it'll stream my child's movie library (among other things I've HandBraked) straight to the TV, eliminating the risks of DVD disk handling. I'm hoping we can reduce our satellite TV fee by switching to NetFlix, too.

You should see how many scratched up Disney DVDs we have from when we let the kids handle them with a portable DVD player! The iTunes digital format is great!

rneglia
Sep 21, 2010, 09:07 AM
Just so I understand...you think the ATV is whack, and that the Sony Blu-Ray with the stated features is a better buy than the ATV, but you are going to go against your beliefs and buy an ATV anyway?

What the hell? This seems ridiculous and I'm starting to think you might be trolling for attention. You sure did change your tune quickly on this.

I already have the Sony Blu-Ray player, which I'm very happy with in general.

Now that I hear that this new :apple:TV is going to be iOS and possibly have its own apps, I'm willing to fork over the $99 and give it a shot. Plus, I like the idea of being able to stream stuff from my iMac over to my TV, like Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

Now if I could just find a set of external speakers that takes the optical audio (Toslink) thing, I could use the :apple:TV to stream music into the living room.

:)

DJinTX
Sep 21, 2010, 09:58 AM
I already have the Sony Blu-Ray player, which I'm very happy with in general.

Now that I hear that this new :apple:TV is going to be iOS and possibly have its own apps, I'm willing to fork over the $99 and give it a shot. Plus, I like the idea of being able to stream stuff from my iMac over to my TV, like Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

Now if I could just find a set of external speakers that takes the optical audio (Toslink) thing, I could use the :apple:TV to stream music into the living room.

:)

Two of the best shows on TV. At least you have good taste.