PDA

View Full Version : Need a cheap wirelss solution for iMac G3!!

raysfan81
Sep 13, 2010, 06:30 PM
Ok so I bought an iMac G3 for a little more than I wanted to originally but I really wanted one. I'm going to put it in my room and stream music to it and I need a way to get wireless, like the cheapest possible way. Its running tiger. Is there one you guys recommend for it?

I know that the original airport cards are on Amazon for like $15 but I really don't know if that is better than USB. I would figure that USB 1.1 would have some impact on internet performance.

jodelli
Sep 13, 2010, 06:37 PM
An Airport wireless card can be got on eBay for around $20 or so. It's b but it will work well with a G3 iMac or iBook.
Higher speeds get chancy on what will work or not, especially with USB 1.1.

MacHamster68
Sep 13, 2010, 06:41 PM
the airport cards are really cheaper now ok you need the adapter board too
the other thing would be one of these usb dongles,
which run under tiger and even panther(some do at least ) like that one http://www.bluescale.co.uk/products/Wireless-WiFi-USB-Network-Adapter-Dongle-MAC.html still cheaper then a airport card with adapterboard

""Product Review of that dongle by someone
The Mac wireless dongle really works with my old iMac DV special Edition good (OS X 10.3 loaded). A problem was: I could the dongle not directly plug in because the two USB connections are placed to deep in a to small opening. The solution was to by a adapter cable. This has an advantage too: I can move the dongle and look for the best position of it. A disadvantage is that I must unplug the dongle for each new start, otherwise the net does not click on. Internet and Mail work and Skype can I use partly too (phone).""

raysfan81
Sep 13, 2010, 08:05 PM
So they iMac doesn't have the necessary components to run an airport card when stock? Typical. :rolleyes:

drewdle
Sep 13, 2010, 08:10 PM
So they iMac doesn't have the necessary components to run an airport card when stock? Typical. :rolleyes:

Yeah, although for what it's worth, the iMac G3 was the only "AirPort Ready" Mac that required both a card and a separate adapter to make it work, instead of just plugging the card right in.

Wireless B isn't as bad as you think, though. I use my iBook at university (it's gets a lot of attention) and it's no spring chicken, but unless you're YouTubing or downloading big files you don't really notice the lower speed.

raysfan81
Sep 13, 2010, 08:48 PM
Yeah, although for what it's worth, the iMac G3 was the only "AirPort Ready" Mac that required both a card and a separate adapter to make it work, instead of just plugging the card right in.

Wireless B isn't as bad as you think, though. I use my iBook at university (it's gets a lot of attention) and it's no spring chicken, but unless you're YouTubing or downloading big files you don't really notice the lower speed.

Do you have a part number for the adapter or can you show me a link to one? I would rather go internal if at all possible.

AlphaDogg
Sep 13, 2010, 09:58 PM
Do you have a part number for the adapter or can you show me a link to one? I would rather go internal if at all possible.

Just an FYI, you cannot install an internal airport card in a tray-loading iMac G3. I have 2 of these iMacs (that I got for $15 for both), and I am pretty bummed that I cannot have an internal Airport card. I will have to look for an external solution, and depending on which iMac G3 you have, you may also have to.

4JNA
Sep 13, 2010, 09:58 PM

Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-630-2938-A-820-1066-A-Airport-Card-Holder-TESTED-/200444228089) link to the part you need if you got the model in the WTB post you were after. not me, no link to the seller or auction, just an example.

the actual apple part number was M8753G/A, but searching that way only brings up part wholesale places that want to charge $30-60 for a part going in a $20 computer. crazy world.

lurk on ebay, but watch out for the copy cards from china and hong kong. they always say original, but never are. some work, some don't. best of luck.

raysfan81
Sep 14, 2010, 02:40 PM
I got a 500mhz model in the snow color. :) So its a slot loader. On a similar note to wireless, are these usb bluetooth adapters compatible with OS macs? The description says so but you how that is....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350294795143&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2402wt_1137

and for wireless I might give this a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/150Mbps-Wireless-Network-Adapter-Supports/dp/B003QVN8WM/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284493949&sr=8-14

Does anyone know if these work??

raysfan81
Sep 16, 2010, 10:17 AM
or perhaps this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Airport-Card-WiFi-Wireless-Card-Adapter-kit-iMac-G3-/250693982632?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5e8699a8

raysfan81
Sep 17, 2010, 01:51 PM
And no one likes to answer......... Does the original airport card allow for the use of WPA or WPA2?

CubeHacker
Sep 17, 2010, 02:59 PM
And no one likes to answer......... Does the original airport card allow for the use of WPA or WPA2?

If you are running Panther or higher it will support WPA just fine. WPA2 however is not supported with original airport cards.

raysfan81
Sep 19, 2010, 08:52 PM
If you are running Panther or higher it will support WPA just fine. WPA2 however is not supported with original airport cards.

Ok I'm running tiger so that should be an issue. But I still don't know whether to go with USB of airport. :confused: :(

zen.state
Sep 19, 2010, 10:16 PM
You could always get a usb wifi dongle that is tested to work on mac. Many of those only cost 10-15 new. A google search will find mac compatible ones.

MacHamster68
Sep 19, 2010, 11:21 PM
Ok I'm running tiger so that should be an issue. But I still don't know whether to go with USB of airport. :confused: :(

make it easy for you , you want the iMac as original as possible ..go for the airport solution ok you need the adapter board too , ok it might be the more expensive solution , but the original solution too , but be careful with china ware at ebay
some are ok and honest and trustworthy ,but others send just unusable dummies

raysfan81
Sep 20, 2010, 03:18 PM
make it easy for you , you want the iMac as original as possible ..go for the airport solution ok you need the adapter board too , ok it might be the more expensive solution , but the original solution too , but be careful with china ware at ebay
some are ok and honest and trustworthy ,but others send just unusable dummies

I would like it to look original. I might get this adapter because it ships from Florida and not China.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Airport-Card-Slot-Adapter-G3-Imac-820-1066-A-/170535340637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b4b2ca5d