Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
Just bought a MacBook Pro so I'm putting my first gen. MBA on eBay. The problem is it has a bad drive. About $250.00 to replace.

Does it make more sense to sell it as is, or should I sink the money into the machine to sell it as a fully functioning MBA? (It works fine booting from an external drive.)

Thanks for your thoughts and flames. :)

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
Be more sellable if the purchaser didn't have to do anything.

People are lazy like that. But you take the risk that no one will buy at slightly higher price. I.e. if you invest $250 into it, don't assume you'll necessarily get $250 in addition to what you were going to get anyways (not that you could ever know what you would have got if you had left the HDD out).

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
May 2, 2009
I personally would not spend money on repairing something like that. It's a very easy fix (though the average person won't see it that way). But the value of the machine is already diminished being an older used computer.

Spending more money on it is not going to net you an equivalent gain in value.

On ebay it will probably go for about $600-$700 if in perfect condition.

Selling it as is will probably net you about $400-$500.

So it's a risk you'd be taking.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Sell it as-is.

I would say just sell it. That is all you know is wrong with it, but if you go digging into it, and break something else, or whatever, it's on you. If you sell it as-is, you save the hassle and odds of screwing something up.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
OP follow up

Wound up selling as is. eBay buyer bid a great price but he never sent the cash. Decided to get the HD fixed and gift it to dear daughter.

Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.