Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144043-snow_leopard_question.jpg

MacRumors has received word today that Apple has seeded yet another version of Mac OS X 10.6.5, termed Build 10H542, to select developers. According to those familiar with the release, the new build offers the following improvements:
- improve reliability with Microsoft Exchange servers
- resolve a delay between print jobs
- address a printing issue for some HP printers connected to an Airport Extreme
- resolve an issue when dragging contacts from Address Book to iCal
- address an issue where dragging an item from a stack causes the Dock to not automatically hide
- add SSL support for uploading files to iDisk
- resolve an issue with Wikipedia information not displaying correctly in Dictionary
- improve performance of MainStage on certain Mac systems
- resolve spacing issues with OpenType fonts
- improve reliability with some Bluetooth braille displays
- resolve a VoiceOver issue when browsing some web sites with Safari 5
- address stability and performance of graphics applications and games
Apple's most recent developer seed of Mac OS X 10.6.5 before today was Build 10H535, released to the general Mac OS X developer community on September 2nd. Apple had generally been sticking to a weekly release cycle for new builds, and it is unclear why this build has seen a longer interval since the previous release. It is possible that Apple has been devoting its developer resources primarily to iOS 4.1 since its announcement on September 1st and public release last week, but such a conclusion is merely speculation at this point. A public release date for Mac OS X 10.6.5 remains unknown.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.6.5 Build 10H542 Seeded to Select Developers

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
"- address stability and performance of graphics applications and games

Great. Hopefully this means more improvement over the previous Graphics Update. SC2 performance still needs work (load times are awful.)

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Great. Hopefully this means more improvement over the previous Graphics Update. SC2 performance still needs work (load times are awful.)

I don't think that load times are to do with the GPU. I was always under the assumption that that was to do with how much Ram, how fast your ram is and also the speed and cache of the hard drive.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

It's likely the same Graphics Update, the same message appeared in the previous seed notes and have been there before Apple released the Graphics Update.

babble

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Quebec
HP Wifi print!

"- address a printing issue for some HP printers connected to an Airport Extreme"

Hello update!

Haven't been able to print on my HP Laserjet using my Airport Extreme (files are sent, but job never processed). Looking forward to this fix.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I don't think that load times are to do with the GPU. I was always under the assumption that that was to do with how much Ram, how fast your ram is and also the speed and cache of the hard drive.

Well, it is due to OS X. Under Windows, load times in SC2 (both the game and matches) are way better. I've noticed in particular, the first game I play in a session has a ridiculous load time, like 2-3 minutes. It should be the opposite, as I run my Windows games from a USB 2.0 drive.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I've been playing with WoW Cataclysm. Hope this helps the graphics in that because they suck right now.

Blizzard mac development team said that the Cataclysm GL backend needs a lot of work right now (on their end), so I think that one is about Blizzard.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Lets hope so, because Mail.app needs a makeover badly!

Kinda OT, but what do you not like about it? I imagine it will get a UI makeover (similar to MobileMe and the iPad's) but are you looking for particular features?

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
- add SSL support for uploading files to iDisk

So previously, uploading and downloading files to iDisk, say at Starbucks, was a little dice-y with no SSL?

I presume with 10.6.5 that SSL support will be there for not just uploading, but also downloading??

Thanks . . .

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Next year's WWDC, probably.

That's what I was thinking. Snow Leopard is so refined and stable, when the list of improvements are such tiny things.

So, what are the OS/UI people working on? Well, iPhone/iPad. But besides that, I also predict we'll see a preview of 10.7 (if they still call it that) at WWDC 2011. Hopefully we'll see the fruit of that Multitouch patent that surfaced earlier this summer. You know, the one that uses normal cursor then switches to finger-sized UI elements when you move the screen! :cool::apple:

The finished product probably won't come out til 2012 though. Whatevs, I'm enjoying the stability and refinement of 10.6.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
I would very much like to be able to connect to Windows shared folders again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.